visitor's visa to canada question

susy

Sep 30, 2004
my boyfriend has already been to the united states with a visitor's visa. i want to try applying for a visitors visa to canada. since he already has a visa, would the process be easy to come over here and visit also??

I have no clue where to even start with regards to making an invitation letter and the rest of the process. Can anyone help guide in the right direction??

Thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Start by saying where you are and your nationality. Wait - it sounds like you are in Canada now, but want a visa to come to well, Canada. Should be easy. Just go out the door of your house - presto, you're here.

So let's try to clarify this - He (Dominican in the DR I think) wants one to come here, right? Well, good luck. I doubt the Canadian process will be influenced one iota by a US visa. Other than that they are pretty tough as well and maybe he meets the criteria (well, he must have , he has one) , in which case he might be a better candidate for one in Canada.

There is an online application form if you check the Immigration Canada web site. Canada issued around 200 the last year they reported in, I think, 2001. The odds are not great.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
It is next to impossible to get a visitors visa. I have a friend who applied to visit Canada on business with his company backing him just a few weeks ago. He had recently been to NYC and to Venezuela. He has demonstrated that he is not a risk yet he was flat out declined.

Ironically, the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo is very busy with applicants even though very few get visitors visas. When the applications are received, the embassy knows that you will be declined. Yet, they will happily take your $75US, and make you come back in 10 days (this can mean more expense and hours of travel for some) just so that they can decline you.

There is some integrity lacking here on the part of CIC.

rickymartin

Aug 3, 2004
Number of Visas to Canada

Nelly said:
It is next to impossible to get a visitors visa. I have a friend who applied to visit Canada on business with his company backing him just a few weeks ago. He had recently been to NYC and to Venezuela. He has demonstrated that he is not a risk yet he was flat out declined.

Ironically, the Canadian Embassy in Santo Domingo is very busy with applicants even though very few get visitors visas. When the applications are received, the embassy knows that you will be declined. Yet, they will happily take your $75US, and make you come back in 10 days (this can mean more expense and hours of travel for some) just so that they can decline you.

I heard the actual numbers of Visas to Canada are about 300 a year so don't put your hopes up too much unless the person is very established in the DR. Perhaps someone here knows the exact numbers of visas to Canada.I think sth eofficve in Santo Domingo will take your money but for politically correct reasons willnot say " forget it".

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Nelly said:
Yet, they will happily take your $75US, and make you come back in 10 days (this can mean more expense and hours of travel for some) just so that they can decline you.

The US takes in $100 for 10 (or 50) times as many refused applicants so you can climb down off your soapbox.

Well we have upped the volume (though I think a lot were due to the World Youth Day Pope Visit, one time event here).

Visitors from Canada: 448,400 (2004)**
Visitors to Canada: 2,587(up to November 2003)*

A nice 173:1 ratio.

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Rick my understanding is that the 300 number of visas is for family type sponsorships and not for visitors visas. That being said, forget applying Susy, it isn't going to happen unless you live in Quebec.

It is next to impossible to get a visitors visa regardless of how many other countries he has had visitors visas for. If he had a permanent visa to the US it might have an effect but even then it is not certain.

It is just as unlikely he will get in on a fiancee sponsorship or if you get married. SO, forget those too.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Yes they do have to follow the rules but for whatever reason, more are granted to Quebec then anywhere else in Canada. Someone once suggested it was because the processing was done in Haiti from this end. I have no idea if that is actually true or not.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
ricktoronto said:
The US takes in $100 for 10 (or 50) times as many refused applicants so you can climb down off your soapbox.

Well we have upped the volume (though I think a lot were due to the World Youth Day Pope Visit, one time event here).

Visitors from Canada: 448,400 (2004)**
Visitors to Canada: 2,587(up to November 2003)*

A nice 173:1 ratio.

Sorry about the soap box thing, I'm probably just a little bitter. If CIC had approved my ex-husband for a visitor's visa, he could have spent some time here before deciding if he really wanted to make a permanent move. Instead, he had to move here "site unseen", ended up being unable to function in this type of society/culture, and costing us thousands of dollars more not to mention the broken hearts.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Nelly said:
Sorry about the soap box thing, I'm probably just a little bitter. If CIC had approved my ex-husband for a visitor's visa, he could have spent some time here before deciding if he really wanted to make a permanent move. Instead, he had to move here "site unseen", ended up being unable to function in this type of society/culture, and costing us thousands of dollars more not to mention the broken hearts.

I couldn't agree more with you, Nelly, and you were hardly what I'd call dramatic.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
inquiry about sponorship

planner said:
It is just as unlikely he will get in on a fiancee sponsorship or if you get married. SO, forget those too.

So people that are sponorsing their fiancee are still not guarenteed entry? I am currently going through that, and as long as you can prove you relationship is valid, and show all documentation to prove this (ie receipts, phone records, marriage certificate, plane tickets etc), and all the medical and health requirements are met, and if applicable you meet the income requirements, then from what I read it seemed like the application would be approved. Have you heard differently?
Thanks

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Interesting note......

If he has a US visitors visa and applies for a Canadian visitors visa while he's in the US, it's more likely that it will be granted. :cross-eye

We have a friend who visits the US every year (he had family there) and he's never been able to get a visa for Canada while in Santo Domingo. However if he applies for one at the Canadian embassy in New York while he's in the US visiting he ALWAYS gets it!

HHmmmm......I wonder why??

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Nelly said:

Hey I don't disagree with you but my point it was hardly a "Canadian" thing - and we charge $65 not $75. I have to imagine the volumes for the US are HUGE by comparison and they are as stingy or stingier than we are. A handout with a few tips as to what they will look for and a frank notice it is likely out of the question for 99.9% of all would be humane I agree.

But still, granting a lot of them, no thanks. We have enough problems with some immigrants adapting (as you point out) let alone wholesale open doors to visitors who we all know won't leave.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
To Bailyboy

Lisa if you are from Canada forget the words "fiancee visa" because we have no such thing.

If you are not planning to get married before sponsership then you could do the common-law spouse sponsership if you lived with him in the DR for al least 12 continuous months.

Common-law partner
You are a common-law partner?either of opposite sex or same-sex?if you have been living with your sponsor in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. The year of living together must be a continuous 12-month period and cannot be intermittent periods that add up to one year. However, you are allowed temporary absences for short periods of time for business travel or family reasons.

You will have to provide documents that prove that you and your common-law partner have combined your affairs and have set up your household together in one home. This could include:

joint bank accounts or credit cards;
joint ownership of a home;
joint residential leases;
joint rental receipts;
joint utilities (electricity, gas, telephone);
joint management of household expenses;
proof of joint purchases, especially for household items; or
correspondence addressed to either person or both people at the same address.

Here's the link

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/familymembers.html

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
regarding sponsorship (spousal) in Cda

AnnaC said:
Lisa if you are from Canada forget the words "fiancee visa" because we have no such thing.

No, we are getting married in Feb 2006, and after we have our marriage certificate I will file the "spousal sponorship".

But with regards to Planner's comment, I knew Canada didn't have a fiancee sponsorship, but Planner was posting a comment about bringing him into Cda,

"or if you get married. SO, forget those too."
written by Planner.....

that I thought she meant the whole spousal sponsorship. And that he won't get in even IF they got married.

So my question was with regards to the fact that I AM getting married, and will be sponsoring my spouse, does that mean that he isn't guarenteed to get in, even if we meet ALL the requirements?

Does anyone know if this is true? (I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's false! ;) )

No we have not lived as common law, we are just filing the spousal sponsorship. But let me tell you, I'm gathering all our documents and filling out the forms, and trust me I have all the proof they need that this relationship is true blue....I'm not sure Canada Post will appreciate the huge delivery they receive once I post it! hahaha It'll be a thick one...most likley in a box! It's amazing what they want, but I understand why they do it, my fiancee jokes that they will want to know his underwear color is, and I said yes, and I'll have to take a picture too! The documents and pictures, and reciepts and phone billls, and air line tickets and passprot copies of the stamps, EVERYTHING! And then the questionaire is sooooo detailed. It's a novel by the time we are finished.

thanks for any help you have pertaining to my question.
lisa

Last edited by a moderator:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
MommC said:
Last time we were applying for a visitor's visa in Santo Domingo (about 8 years ago) the cost for filing the application was US$75.00:

Embassy of Canada Santo Do. says $65 one time visa $130 multiple entry. For something where they say no I guess the $65 is a cheaper waste of money for most.

susy

Sep 30, 2004
question?? he can visit canada with a us visitor's visa only??

MommC said:
If he has a US visitors visa and applies for a Canadian visitors visa while he's in the US, it's more likely that it will be granted. :cross-eye

We have a friend who visits the US every year (he had family there) and he's never been able to get a visa for Canada while in Santo Domingo. However if he applies for one at the Canadian embassy in New York while he's in the US visiting he ALWAYS gets it!

HHmmmm......I wonder why??

so if he's granted the usa visitor's visa, he can't cross the boarder until he's approved for a canadian visitor's visa first?? I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
susy said:
so if he's granted the usa visitor's visa, he can't cross the boarder until he's approved for a canadian visitor's visa first?? I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip.

He can't cross the Canadian border without a visa regardless of who he is, where he is and what (non-Canada) visa he has.

Why would being in the US or having only a US visa give him the right to enter a totally different country than the US?

We certainly do not let the US dictate our foreign policy (witness Iraq)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Never did hear of a Dominican being successful with the visitor visa thing! My ex had several US visa in his passport, as well as visa to some other EE countries, and his application too was denied...short of marrying someone (if you choose that route/if it is relevant to your situation), it aint happening!;) Good luck anyways!