Canadian Medical Insurance for Dominican Immigrant

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
I am wondering if anyone has any information on where to get a good price, as well as the necessary medical coverage, for immigrants to Canada. So far I have found prices around $450 CDN, for the 3 month coverage, for my husband and step son. If anyone knows of any better deals I would appreciate any information you can provide.
BTW we have decided to buy the insurance in Canada. I want to know that we will get the money and coverage if anything should happen. Thanks
Scotia

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
scotia said:
I am wondering if anyone has any information on where to get a good price, as well as the necessary medical coverage, for immigrants to Canada. So far I have found prices around $450 CDN, for the 3 month coverage, for my husband and step son. If anyone knows of any better deals I would appreciate any information you can provide.
BTW we have decided to buy the insurance in Canada. I want to know that we will get the money and coverage if anything should happen. Thanks
Scotia

What province are you in, and why doesn't Provincial Health care cover them? Depending on which province you are in, coverage can start the day they arrive. Are you talking about extended medical?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You beat me to it Trina. Now that PR are issued instead of "landed immigrant" is there no waiting period of three months before getting the provincial coverage?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I may be wrong, but I believe it varies from province to province. I'm pretty sure that when Angel arrived in Alberta, he could take advantage of health care from day 1. It's been so long though, I really can't be positive. Our health care is subsidized by the government, and we pay a monthly premium. I'm pretty sure that in Saskatchewan, they can start on the day they arrive as well...after all, Saskatchewan needs to do SOMETHING to attract people to move there. :) Here in Alberta, our government just gives us money. Our household will get a nice $2,000 Christmas bonus just for living here...that pretty much covers the health care premiums :)

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
You beat me to it Trina. Now that PR are issued instead of "landed immigrant" is there no waiting period of three months before getting the provincial coverage?

As for PR vs landed immigrant, I don't know that the PR card changes the actual status of an Immigrant? I believe that Angel, as my husband, was brought here on Permanent Residence status. Again, memory could be failing me... I really don't know the difference on the two. When I have time, I will check into it and let you know.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
trina said:
Here in Alberta, our government just gives us money. Our household will get a nice $2,000 Christmas bonus just for living here...that pretty much covers the health care premiums :)

:lick: I heard about that,can I come to Alberta? I don't think we drill for oil in Ontario.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
:lick: I heard about that,can I come to Alberta? I don't think we drill for oil in Ontario.

Please DO come to Alberta! You do drill for oil in Ontario (as well as every other province and territory in Canada), however, Premier Ralph Klein is not in Ontario - he is ALL ours!!! I think all Albertans will be very sad when he retires...he's not expected to run for another term. The man doesn't even need to campaign, there is no competition.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:

No, Anna there is 3 months waiting time for OHIP. There's even 3 months if you live in BC and come to Ontario as a citizen let alone a PR. Companies sell health coverage for the 3 months a for this reason.

From OHIP:

Am I eligible for OHIP right away or do I have to wait ?

There may be a three-month waiting period for your OHIP coverage.

If you are a newcomer to Ontario, or a former resident returning here to live after being out of the country for more than seven months, the waiting period begins on the date you establish or re-establish residence in Ontario. You are also required to be present in Ontario for 153 days of the first 183 days immediately following the date residency is established in Ontario (you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residency).

If you are an eligible resident moving to Ontario from another part of Canada, the health insurance of your former province/territory will cover you for up to three months.

If you are not covered by another the health insurance of another province/territory, it is important to buy private health insurance to cover you until you receive your Ontario health coverage.

For more information :
Contact a private insurance company directly or call the Canadian Life and Health Insurance Association Inc. at 1 800-268-8099. In Toronto, call 416-777-2344.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks Rick. I was going to look that up but then I saw some shiny thing and got distracted. :nervous:

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
I am in Ontario and yes there is a 3 month waiting period for OHIP. My husband is coming on a PR visa. I was just wondering if anyone had any leads on reliable companies with decent prices. Thanks for the feedback.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
scotia said:
I am in Ontario and yes there is a 3 month waiting period for OHIP. My husband is coming on a PR visa. I was just wondering if anyone had any leads on reliable companies with decent prices. Thanks for the feedback.

Try immigration web sites (Canada) - they will have a few links or you could take the advice I posted from OHIP and call the number for the association that has all these entities as members.

I think Ontario Blue Cross has it, not the best deals.