Credit Card Fraud at the Airport

venture

Sep 28, 2005
Hi there. Just went back from the DR. At the Airport, after you checked in, there is this first room with many shops. (not the shops in the waiting hall)
in the right corner is a food-chain, looks like burger king or mcdonalds, but is something local. Inside, there is a small shop.

I shopped there and accidentally left my creditcard there. that happened, because one of the people working there diverted my while i was paying, talking all the time, pushing me and talking. i was so busy looking what this guy was doing that i forgot to get my card back.

the card was used after that in the shop for $2000 and for another $1800 in a homedepot in puerto plata. my creditcard company told me i am insured against that, but my question is : do anyone of you know an adress or the adress of the owner of that shop? being in the airport it hast to be some kind of officialliy known, or ?

thanks for your help.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
You might want to mention which airport in the DR? :classic:
Sorry to hear that and good luck with finding the name of the place.

venture said:
Hi there. Just went back from the DR. At the Airport, after you checked in, there is this first room with many shops. (not the shops in the waiting hall)
in the right corner is a food-chain, looks like burger king or mcdonalds, but is something local. Inside, there is a small shop.

I shopped there and accidentally left my creditcard there. that happened, because one of the people working there diverted my while i was paying, talking all the time, pushing me and talking. i was so busy looking what this guy was doing that i forgot to get my card back.

the card was used after that in the shop for $2000 and for another $1800 in a homedepot in puerto plata. my creditcard company told me i am insured against that, but my question is : do anyone of you know an adress or the adress of the owner of that shop? being in the airport it hast to be some kind of officialliy known, or ?

thanks for your help.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
venture said:
oops - the one at puerto plata.

even if you complain to store owner, he/she will say
they don't know anything about it or will say if was your
responsibility to make sure you had your card. You
can try and yell at them but that won't change anything.
Glad to hear things are ok now.

venture

Sep 28, 2005
if i can get the adress, maybe the creditcard company can do something. i don't know if the local authorities will care about that, but i think that i should try to do as much as i can to help. maybe that way i can prevent such a situation for the next tourist, maybe not. but it is worth a try...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
venture said:
if i can get the adress, maybe the creditcard company can do something. i don't know if the local authorities will care about that, but i think that i should try to do as much as i can to help. maybe that way i can prevent such a situation for the next tourist, maybe not. but it is worth a try...
I would let the credit card company handle it. That type of theft is very common worldwide. The credit card companies have their own procedures for handling it.

It was helpful that you warned us.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
It was your fault ....

venture said:
You should not have been so easily distracted and left your credit card. Obviously, the employee seized the 'opportunity to supplement his/her meagre income'. So what can you do to prevent this from happening again and how do you know the store owner was involved in the scam? ... maybe put the store name here on DR1 and that will prevent this from happening again? :speechles

High CC rates offset these scams .... cost of doing business.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hlywud said:
Credit card fraud or theft, lucky that guy has card insurance, what a dummy getting distracted, oldest ploy in the books.
I don't believe he had any special insurance. I think almost all credit cards will cover all the fraudulent charges, as long as you report it to them on a timely basis. They don't even require the cardholder to pay the first $50US anymore.

To the OP, you're not a dummy; it happens to the best of us.

venture

Sep 28, 2005
[digestion-end-product] happens - and it can happen to anyone.

my card company told me the last usage was in some kind of homedepot in Puerto Plata. i don't know the real name of the shop.

depending on your cc-company you are held liable for up to 50$ in case of fraud. but in all cases the CC-Company has to prove that you bought the things booked, not you.

what i don't like about this, is that i know a lot of places on this planet whith people earning less than this guy, where this story would have ended differently.

a colleague of mine left a $2500 satellite-phone accidentally on a market in china, and three days later someone was in his hotel with the phone, telling him that a brother of his aunt knows the uncle of a friend of him whose wifes husband [...] found the phone and they called the first number to ask to whom it belonged. they even offered to pay for the call they did. thats chinese mentality.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
You weren't in Kansas either

venture said:
a colleague of mine left a $2500 satellite-phone accidentally on a market in china, and three days later someone was in his hotel with the phone, telling him that a brother of his aunt knows the uncle of a friend of him whose wifes husband [...] found the phone and they called the first number to ask to whom it belonged. they even offered to pay for the call they did. thats chinese mentality.
So the Chinese returned the phone and the Dominican used the CC, what's the connection? It was your fault in the first place so, admit it and move on. Your post implies that there is a Dominican 'mafia' perpetrating widespread CC fraud at the airport.

I have a suggestion to remedy this issue, maybe send all Dominicans to China for training in honesty, civility, .... and bring ~50% of Chinese residents in Shanghai for driver training .... happy now? :tired:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
a colleague of mine left a $2500 satellite-phone accidentally on a market in china

Hey...be more careful of your stuff! ;)

Also, please be more careful when judging whole natonalities, as being honest or not.
I live here now, many years ago I worked and lived a a little over a year in China ( Beijing & Shanghai ). News for you, there are good and bad people everywhere, don?t claim that to be "culture".