100 Dollar Laptop

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Now this is a good idea if it ever comes to fruiction. I always thought that one of the best things the government could do is to find a way to get as many computers into people's hands as possible. The internet is the great equalizer...since The DR's government is not able (or does not want to) spend enough money in education they should at least make it easier for people to get the tools to educate themselves.

Here's a link to the article: 100 Dollar Laptop

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
A month's pay for a computer is still a lot, and no telephone lines for the most part means no internet either.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Educate people to free-software...

I think a good 1st step in the right direction would be to educate dominicans folks to open source software.
Instead of learning "Windows 98", which is still what kids are learning in most institute, or Word, Excel, PowerPoint usually out of Office 97, or at best Office 2000, there should be a move to learn Open Office (http://www.openoffice.org/).
There should be more basic Linux courses, it's actually not so complicated, and it would be a good independence.
People could perform image manipulation with Gimp, instead of with a pirated version of Photoshop...

Today, I read in the news that the ONDA, the copyright Police, is coming down on cable TV companies for pirating signal... Tomorrow, they might crack down on pirated software... That's why the biggest freedom for a developing nation is to start early to prepare for free-software...

Just my 2 cents...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
There are a dozens of Internet Cafes around the country, with high speed internet and for a cheap rate. Dominicans are not that interested in computers.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
rellosk said:
Every Dominican kid I know wants a computer.

This why I think it is a great idea. In my family alone I have about 10 nephews who all want a computer. I can't afford to give each one their own Dell, but if there was something out there like this I would be able to provide it for them.

Statement's like Ricardo's are just plain ignorant. There aren't dozens of cafes all over the place. For instance in Cotui, there are only two places that I know of where you can go use a computer for a fee. One has only one computer and the other has three. Most of these "cafes" that I've visited you can only use the computer for Internet and almot always all the computers are taken so you either have to wait for one to get free or come back at a later time...

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
suarezn said:
This why I think it is a great idea. In my family alone I have about 10 nephews who all want a computer. I can't afford to give each one their own Dell, but if there was something out there like this I would be able to provide it for them.

Statement's like Ricardo's are just plain ignorant. There aren't dozens of cafes all over the place. For instance in Cotui, there are only two places that I know of where you can go use a computer for a fee. One has only one computer and the other has three. Most of these "cafes" that I've visited you can only use the computer for Internet and almot always all the computers are taken so you either have to wait for one to get free or come back at a later time...
If you can find a way to get computers in the hands of Dominican children who want to learn, than I am all for it. I suggest you start e-mailing, calling and knocking on doors too make sure DR is not left out.

Also, if the internet cafes are not up to par in Cotui, its because the residents are not overly concerned with it. It's called "supply and demand"

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
You still haven't solved the lack of connectivity to a telephone or high speed internet system that costs 1/2 a months pay on top of the months pay to buy the $100 laptop.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Believe it or not,

ricktoronto said:
You still haven't solved the lack of connectivity to a telephone or high speed internet system that costs 1/2 a months pay on top of the months pay to buy the $100 laptop.

these little wonders are powered by a battery charged by a hand crank (one minute of cranking will provide 10 minutes of user time) and are supposed to come equipped with wireless LAN, so connection will be through hot spots set up in schools and other key locations and paid for or subsidized by a government/private sector partnership.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
In other words even with the laptops they won't have a thing as there is nearly no chance of this type of support in the future.

I understand the concept but it is a 1/2 an idea - connectivity won't ensue from any DR government initiatives - wireless internet for poor kids, how big a priority would that ever be?

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
that wont happen

In case that happen, it will be this way:

1- Gov. will finance those laptop wich never will be pay.

2- Just the high Politician and close friends will get them.

3- The Gov. will report a few of them stolen.

4- Not power to run those computers, the country is not ready for that.

is a shame but thats the reality belive it or not.

PS: Is a good idea for the big one make some $, Just with the money that the country make with the every turist pay to come and leave the island and Dominicans just to leave with the Punta Cana Airport, la Romana, SDQ. POP, STI. Plus when peple are driving from Santo Domingo to East Coast, North or East How many car, truck and bus pay the 20 Pesos a day? Laptop will be good idea but I dont think they will make money with that.

Crazy thing DR. don't even invest money building schools or seats for the student, or simple thing just cleaning the city. would the have money for laptop ?

It will happen when we get snow every winter.

Just an opinion

Last edited:

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
simpson Homer said:
In case that happen, it will be this way:

1- Gov. will finance those laptop wich never will be pay.

2- Just the high Politician and close friends will get them.

3- The Gov. will report a few of them stolen.

4- Not power to run those computers, the country is not ready for that.

is a shame but thats the reality belive it or not.

PS: Is a good idea for the big one make some $, Just with the money that the country make with the every turist pay to come and leave the island and Dominicans just to leave with the Punta Cana Airport, la Romana, SDQ. POP, STI. Plus when peple are driving from Santo Domingo to East Coast, North or East How many car, truck and bus pay the 20 Pesos a day? Laptop will be good idea but I dont think they will make money with that.

Crazy thing DR. don't even invest money building schools or seats for the student, or simple thing just cleaning the city. would the have money for laptop ?

It will happen when we get snow every winter.

Just an opinion
Hey Homer, after reading your post, it sounds like you can use one of those computer laptops :laugh:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Me too!!

rellosk said:
Every Dominican kid I know wants a computer.
This is so true!!.

Exactly the reason why I buy so many laptops on Ebay. There are many orphanages, churches and non-profit organizations that needs them in order to help kids and their staff.

Ricardo, many, many Dominicans DO want computers and many, many Dominicans are "up to date" with computer technologies.

Not only that they want them, there are some that know a whole lot more than us. Crap, I've been a computer analyst since 1985 and my Dominican friend, Ramon, makes me look like a rookie compared to him!.

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
suarezn said:
Of course I will believe it when I see it...
I feel the same way. The computers probably will make it to the DR. They may even make it to the intended schools. Whether they make it the intended students and whether those students don't try to sell them, is another issue.