Expatriation from the Dom. Repub.

NyliYoshi

Sep 30, 2005
Hey, I have a friend who just moved from the DR to the U.S. and wants to expatriate his citizenship.

Does the DR allow expatriation, and if so, what procedures must be followed to expatriate, and is there a fee?

Thanks muchly!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
What on earth is this supposed to mean? He wants to renounce it (give it up permanently) or get dual in the US?

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Is he a legal citizen of the US? if not this is a trifle premature since he winds up with no citizenship at all. If the laws of the DR allow it he can do that at a DR consulate in the USA.

What point is there to give it up at all? USA allows dual citizenship.

And he is talking about renouncing it not expatriating it.

NyliYoshi

Sep 30, 2005
What's the difference between renouncing and expatriating?

And I was only asking here because the embassy is closed until Monday.. :(

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Is he a legal citizen of the US? if not this is a trifle premature since he winds up with no citizenship at all. If the laws of the DR allow it he can do that at a DR consulate in the USA.What point is there to give it up at all? USA allows dual citizenship.And he is talking about renouncing it not expatriating it.

Just for starters, both the President Leonel Fernandez, and the Foreign Minister Carlos Morales Troncoso, are duel citizens (US-DR).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Does the DR acknowledge dual (US/DR) citizenships?

If so, how would a US citizen also become a DR citizen?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
cobraboy said:

Since the New Constitution of 1994, the DR acknowledges dual and multiple citizenships. Sometimes I wonder how the question of allegiance can be worked out, such as when you have to lean toward one country's interest versus the other, especially when you are in a position of political power, like our President and Foreign Minister, or in the US, where the Homeland Security Secretary, Michael Chertoff, and many other high ranking government officials hold dual Israeli-US citizenship?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In a recent thread someone brought up the incident where Hipolito claimed to be a US citizen and it was hastily denied and brushed under the carpet by his advisers. The reason given was that according to the DR constitution this would exclude someone from eligibility for serving as President. Is this indeed the case?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
cobraboy said:

Yes, the DR allows dual citizenship, as well as the US. But the US won't allow you to renounce unless you go through a lot of hassle. The process in terms of DR residency is the same and details can be found by searching the board. Thereafter, you have to go through additional application process to be accepted as a DR citizen and get a passport of course. It is not hard, it just takes time. There is a citizenship test on the DR side.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mirador said:
Just for starters, both the President Leonel Fernandez, and the Foreign Minister Carlos Morales Troncoso, are duel citizens (US-DR).

Incorrect.

The only two political posts in the DR that you CANNOT hold as a dual citizen are President and Vice President.

They probably have permanent residency but they are not citizens.

Scandall

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mirador said:
especially when you are in a position of political power, like our President and Foreign Minister, or in the US, where the Homeland Security Secretary, Michael Chertoff, and many other high ranking government officials hold dual Israeli-US citizenship?

Uh oh....here comes the Jewish conspiracy theories.....

Scandall

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
NyliYoshi said:
What's the difference between renouncing and expatriating?

And I was only asking here because the embassy is closed until Monday.. :(

Renouncing is to give up your citizenship voluntarily, whether obtained by birth in your home country or by naturalization.

Expatriating is a wrong term you made up. Expatriates are people who have moved from their home country to settle in another. There are a lot of American expatriates in the DR for example.

So back to your "friend" - is he a US citizen? And why would he renounce his DR citizenship? What reason, e.g.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Scandall said:
Incorrect.

The only two political posts in the DR that you CANNOT hold as a dual citizen are President and Vice President.

They probably have permanent residency but they are not citizens.

Scandall

They were US citizens much before they even thought about the possibility of holding their current positions. Carlos Morales Troncoso held the office of Vice President, and I know for sure he was a US citizen when he ran Central Romana for the late Charles Bludhorn (Golf & Western).

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Scandall said:
Uh oh....here comes the Jewish conspiracy theories..... Scandall

Conspiracy? it's a known fact! ...Of course, I was just kidding, I was only kidding, please don't tell the Mossad on me... ;-)

NyliYoshi

Sep 30, 2005
Okay, so how would my friend renounce his citizenship from the DR?

The renouncing reason is because he now lives in the U.S. and would not like to be subject to DR government jurisdiction any longer as a DR citizen.

And regardless of whether or not he would be subject to DR government jurisdiction, what is the renouncing process? Does he just mail a letter to the president and be done with it?

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
If they even allow it the normal route is to go to the DR consulate (in NYC) and fill out the forms and go through the process. Mailing a letter to the president, are you serious?

He has to be a US citizen NOT just a landed immigrant to do this you know. Otherwise he would have no citizenship anywhere.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
NyliYoshi said:
Okay, so how would my friend renounce his citizenship from the DR?

The renouncing reason is because he now lives in the U.S. and would not like to be subject to DR government jurisdiction any longer as a DR citizen.

And regardless of whether or not he would be subject to DR government jurisdiction, what is the renouncing process? Does he just mail a letter to the president and be done with it?

DR jurisdiction?

As long he is outside the DR he is not under the DR juridiction.

When I became a Naturalized US citizen, one of the stipulation back then was that during the interview for naturalization I had to renounce my Dominican Citizenship to gain the American. Back then the DR did not acknowledge dual citizenship. But now with the Dominican dual citizenship law, I am considered Dominican because I was borned there, regardless whether I renounced it when I first became a US Citizen.

The only way he can avoid the hassle that comes with renovating a passport or national ID in the DR, is to become a US citizen and to travel with a US passport.

bonao1969

May 8, 2004
Dual citizenship

My Dominican wife just became a US citizen last week. She is of course, still a Dominican citizen. Only problem is, if she goes to Santo Domingo on her US passport, she will probably have to pay for a visitor's visa. On the other hand, if she uses her Dominican passport, she can go there, but not return on it as they took her residency (green) card. Win some, lose some.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
enter and leave the DR on the DR passport

bonao1969 said:
My Dominican wife just became a US citizen last week. She is of course, still a Dominican citizen. Only problem is, if she goes to Santo Domingo on her US passport, she will probably have to pay for a visitor's visa. On the other hand, if she uses her Dominican passport, she can go there, but not return on it as they took her residency (green) card. Win some, lose some.

Enter and leave the Dr using the DR passport, enter the US with the US passport, Just keep them both up to date