a quick tip for you

greatmoorred

Aug 29, 2005
Be ready to have your bag taken practically out of your hand by the guys at the airport.
I thought he was an airport employee, or an official so i let go.It took me a second or two to work out what was going on, by which time we had walked the ten feet to the minibus :angry: and i was handing him 5 dollars.
Only a small problem, but it pi**ed me off a bit.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
greatmoorred said:
Be ready to have your bag taken practically out of your hand by the guys at the airport.
I thought he was an airport employee, or an official so i let go.It took me a second or two to work out what was going on, by which time we had walked the ten feet to the minibus :angry: and i was handing him 5 dollars.
It P's everybody off.
That's the name of their game.
Catch you with your guard down and hussle you for some quick money.
It reflects a common attitude that Dominicans have towards business, in general, "Grab what you can today. Who cares about tomorrow?".

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
greatmoorred said:
:angry: and i was handing him 5 dollars.

If it does happen you don't have to give then $5. $1 is more like it. Being assertive is even better.

I can't think of an airport in the world with free or official/mandatory airport employee porters so it is hard to imagine that was what you suspected was up.

Sep 19, 2005
that $5 would be a bargain in NYC!!!!!!!!!!just act like your ready to kill someone, and they leave you alone!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha.....put on your game face!.bob

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ricktoronto is right. Giving these guys US$5 for an unwanted service just encourages them to continue looking for soft touches like you.

tgood1

Jan 1, 2005
Customs

Last time I was there, I was ready to be assertive and not let them touch my bag, but the customs people handed it right to them when they were done searching through my stuff. I gave the guy a dollar and he walked off, so no harm done, but not cool that customs does that, but thats the DR for ya.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
tgood1 said:
Last time I was there, I was ready to be assertive and not let them touch my bag, but the customs people handed it right to them when they were done searching through my stuff. I gave the guy a dollar and he walked off, so no harm done, but not cool that customs does that, but thats the DR for ya.
you got away cheap....making some of these guys "customs inspectors" is like giving whiskey to the indians... no offence to the indians..everytime i landed at pop ...there they were ...with their hands out. the alternative was to have them tie you up with a sloppy search of your luggage..messing up all your clothes etc.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
paddy said:
you got away cheap....making some of these guys "customs inspectors" is like giving whiskey to the indians... no offence to the indians..

Saying "no offense" to a remark like that about aboriginals doesn't make it OK to say it.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What happened to your mouth!

Let me ask the OP something, what in hell happened to your mouth??????.

Someone grabs my bag and that person WILL hear my big mouth!!.

Trust me, you say something and they will move to the next SUCKER!!.

Sometimes a "sissy" NO will not do the job. Be fricking stern and say "NO" like you mean it!.

Once I got to the DR with a fever and sick as a dog and I just did not wanted to be bothered. A guy grabbed my small bag and I told him to let it go. He said that it was ok. I said "ok, take it but I will not give you one cent". He thought that I was kidding and took my bag straight to my buddy's parked car at the parking lot. He stood by the car like a statue waiting for me give him something and I just reminded him of what I had told him a few minutes before. I gave him NOTHING. He cursed at me and I just told him "next time, when someone tells you NO, leave the fricking bag alone. Have a good day". See, problem solved!.

Even if the inspector gives them your bags, you still have a mouth and you can take your bag from the person. I do it all the time.

SOME people should just stop complaining and stop making it easy for them to this to others. You are also to be blamed for the problem since you let it happen. Sometimes a "NO" said in a polite way WILL NOT do the job. But a stern "NOOOO" will work most of the time. WORKS FOR ME!.

There's a sucker born every second and they spot them from afar!.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
miguel said:
There's a sucker born every second and they spot them from afar!.

His mouth was tiny when he started paying $4 a beer as well if you read his other post.