Coming to DR

edoski

Oct 3, 2005
I'll be travelling to the DR for the first time. I fly into Santo Domingo and leave from Santiago. I'll only have 4 days there. I would love to go to the beach and do some fishing if possible. I speak no spanish. I plan on getting a translator. Where would be the best places to go to? Should I stay at Boca Chica and then take a taxi to Santiago? That is the only beach a friend recommended to me, on her last visit. Thanks.

Edoski

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Where do you plan on getting a translator from? Remember the cardinal rule, for gringos, e.g. you - do not trust a Domincian guy who speaks English. His job is to part your money from you at a record pace.

His English (save for a few well educated middle/upper class types who you won't be using), comes from his time in the USA before being deported back to the DR. For being illegal and/or selling drugs. Or both.

For 4 days splitting a trip is probably not a great idea.

Boca Chica is adequate and fun but now you are stuck with getting to STI to go home. Why pick a route like that? NB : if you are coming to get some booty, you should say that and probably stick to Boca Chica. (The girlies will be lining up to rip you off as you will be the proverbial fish out of water).

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I hope you are joking, first time and don't speaki spanish is a recipe for disaster, go to boca chica and stay at the Hamaca, pay for a hotel sponsored tour of the Capital and stay away from Santiago, the cab price will be unbelievable and I don't recommend the GuaGua to the Capital and Caribe Tours to Santiago route for a newbie. Why did you choose a flight leaving Santiago anyway??

Anyway if you have don't have money to burn, from BC take a $25 cab ride to Caribe Bus Station and take the Bus to Santiago, then take a $15 cab ride to the airport, please leave yourself 5hrs extra travel time for trip.

edoski

Oct 3, 2005
Dr

I chose that route because after visiting St. Maarten, I can only fly into SDQ. I'm really taking up my friends studying there offer. I'm already in the caribbean and should come to the DR before they fly out. And since I want to get back to the west coast on 1 day instead of 2-3 days I have to fly through Santiago. And it is $300 cheaper.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Edoski

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
edoski said:
I chose that route because after visiting St. Maarten, I can only fly into SDQ. I'm really taking up my friends studying there offer. I'm already in the caribbean and should come to the DR before they fly out. And since I want to get back to the west coast on 1 day instead of 2-3 days I have to fly through Santiago. And it is $300 cheaper.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Edoski
If that's the case and if you are a little adventurous, stay at the el candil http://www.comdata.nl/hotel-boca-chica-candil/contact_en.htm
1. Speak to Giuseppe or Petterri only, they speak english and will arrange a free airport transfer to the hotel.

2. Exchange your dollars at the hotel only.

3. Let Petteri or somebody recommended by him show you around in BC.

4. Enjoy the beach!

5. They can provide you with a tour guide to the Capital

6. Last day, if you don't have money to burn arrange a taxi to the Caribe bus station in the Capital for your trip to Santiago. http://www.caribetours.com.do/

7. When you arrive in Santiago take a taxi to the airport $RD350

8. Please leave yourself alot of time i.e. Flight out of STI 4pm, you should have you a**:laugh: out of Boca Chica at 8am

9. Buen suerte!

spike00lee

Jun 29, 2003
Try Metro Tours

I prefer Metro tours myself for travel between Santiago and the Capital. I think it's a little nicer. I have used Transporte Espinal (have you seen the stop in the capital??.. never again).. Caribe tours and Metro tours.. I like Metro the best of all.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
spike00lee said:
I prefer Metro tours myself for travel between Santiago and the Capital. I think it's a little nicer. I have used Transporte Espinal (have you seen the stop in the capital??.. never again).. Caribe tours and Metro tours.. I like Metro the best of all.

Not a great idea for a first timer with zero Spanish getting to the capital, then the bus then to STI from the bus station in Santiago.

spike00lee

Jun 29, 2003
I agree..

I cant remember the guys name.. but there is a taxi service that you pay for in-advance and he will have someone pick you up and take you where you need to go. I think the trip from the capital to santiago was around 100US.. could be more by now. He posts here on Dr1.

ricktoronto said:
Not a great idea for a first timer with zero Spanish getting to the capital, then the bus then to STI from the bus station in Santiago.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
I speak adequate Spanish, and I wouldn't use the guagua and bus route at all, of course I wouldn't make a 4 day trip including SDQ, Boca Chica and STI, either.

OP: get yerself a cab.

Sep 19, 2005
hey this trip is how precious memories are made....who remembers the mundane things in life?... you remember the soap opera crap forever!!!!!!!,

"we almost died" stories
"we barely made it throught the riots" stories
"we took the L O N G way" stories
ha ha ha ha...

hey maybe he is adventurous, and usually sky dives at the cheap place where a drunk packs the chutes!!!!!!!! ha ha ha......good luck...bob

tropical

Nov 20, 2004
www.facebook.com
ricktoronto said:
His English (save for a few well educated middle/upper class types who you won't be using)

Edoski--since I am one of those "well educated" etc. call me w/info on your arrival to Santiago(809-357-6047/49). My husband & I offer transportation services in English to all coming to the DR(we are based in Santiago). You may also email me at palomalinda0890@hotmail.com