K1 visa questions...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
From what I read, there are some requirements that seem odd if one plans on soliciting their fiancee. Here they are-

1) You need proof that you have known the person for 2 years-proof being visiting, pictures taken during these trips and any e-mail/phone correspondence. Is this true?

2) Minimum income requirements. Does this also mean tax returns, or just your last couple of paycheck stubs? Does it include bank statements?

3) What exactly IS the income requirement? What if you make less than the minumum annual requirement?

4) Where in the DR would the papers need to be taken?

5) When the person is ready to come to the US, would the person soliciting her have to go to the DR to get her, or can she come by herself?

6) Does the INS make surprise visits on the household? Would the couple get spied on to see if they are really living together? How many interviews do the couple have to go to before the residency papers are established?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Dude, IMO, the whole k1-k3 thing is too damn complicated.

The scammers and the hookers have made it a living hell for the rest of us.

Do it the way it tworked for me:

1) Start documenting your relationship now. (letters, pictures, videos, (xxx if possible) record phone conversations, your aim here is to overwhelm, embarrass, bore and even possible disgust the consular officer, who will be trying to do all the same things to you.)

2) get married in the DR. (take lots of pictures of this too)

3) get yourself DR residency (lots of odd requirements, mainly money, time and patience) and then establish a legal DR company with a DR tax number (RNC)

4) get your DR wife a tourist Visa, citing your residency, business and RNC as proof that you are indeed living here. (the tourist visa to this point is almost automatic)

5) get her to the states and apply for a change of status to get her off of tourist status and a legal resident.

Disclaimer: I assume you are in an actual serious relationship and not trying to scam INS, if this is not the case then go and scr@w yourself.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
www.dominicanstotheusa.com
Did you finally fiind her?

Berzin said:
From what I read, there are some requirements that seem odd if one plans on soliciting their fiancee. Here they are-

1) You need proof that you have known the person for 2 years-proof being visiting, pictures taken during these trips and any e-mail/phone correspondence. Is this true?

2) Minimum income requirements. Does this also mean tax returns, or just your last couple of paycheck stubs? Does it include bank statements?

3) What exactly IS the income requirement? What if you make less than the minumum annual requirement?

5) When the person is ready to come to the US, would the person soliciting her have to go to the DR to get her, or can she come by herself?

6) Does the INS make surprise visits on the household? Would the couple get spied on to see if they are really living together? How many interviews do the couple have to go to before the residency papers are established?

Thanks in advance.

Berzin,

How the hell are ya doin man?

Hey call me if you want to know how to do this.

MrMike has some very good advice, if you can do it that way. That would be the quickest way to get it, but even with DCF (direct consular filing) you still have to wait for the visa apppointment unless you do like he says and adjust status in the USA. I do disagree on one thing though. The tourist visa is far from automatic, especially if they know you have a relationship. Even if you live and work and have residency in the DR, your intent is to get her a visa to be a permanent resident of the USA, and this teters on fraud. Some people may not agree with me but is it really worth the chance that she can never come to the USA?

If you go the traditional route like myself, I would suggest getting married in the DR and filing for a CR-1 visa. The wait could be a month or 2 longer than the K visas but there are tremendous advantages over the Ks.

Stop in at our Dominican immigratio forums and we can answer all those questions you have.

-Tim

--
Visit the Dominican immigration forums at:

http://www.dominicanstotheusa.com
http://forums.dominicanstotheusa.com

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Good point twincactus, the thing with my sistuation is that I am not actually moving to the US any time soon, maybe not at all - I only got my wife the Visa so I could have that option open if necessary. So in my case it was all legit.

The residency and the RNC were business necessities and had nothing to do with the visa process, I was just surprised how much they helped.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Don't do it!

Berzin said:

Thanks in advance.
Hey Berzin,
Leave those Chicas from Boca Chica alone:laugh: :laugh:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What is the cost in the USA? I've heard in Canada it's about $1800.00 just for the application and medical.

It's good info to have on hand.

Thanks

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
For the person who told me to go screw myself if this was a scam-the young lady in question I have known for over 7 years. We lost contact for a while when she went back home to the DR and met up again in person when I was in La Vega after we had spoken on the phone for quite a while(about a year and a half).
We always had a thing for each other while I knew her here but I was with someone at the time that I thought I would wind up marrying, so I never pursued anything.
She comes from a good family and is not some dirt-poor hooker from Boca Chica. I was just asking these questions because now that I am not tied to anyone I have to think of my future and was wondering how I can go about getting her over here IF we were to wind up marrying.
I have heard so many different stories about the easiest ways to relocate a dominican that I just wanted to hear from a few people that have been through it.
This does'nt mean I am going to do anything anytime soon, and I am still in the process of checking for any alterior motives. So life for now will continue as is. I just wanted some of my questions answered from someone who would know.

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MrMike said:
Dude, IMO, the whole k1-k3 thing is too damn complicated.

The scammers and the hookers have made it a living hell for the rest of us.

Do it the way it tworked for me:

1) Start documenting your relationship now. (letters, pictures, videos, (xxx if possible) record phone conversations, your aim here is to overwhelm, embarrass, bore and even possible disgust the consular officer, who will be trying to do all the same things to you.)

2) get married in the DR. (take lots of pictures of this too)

3) get yourself DR residency (lots of odd requirements, mainly money, time and patience) and then establish a legal DR company with a DR tax number (RNC)

4) get your DR wife a tourist Visa, citing your residency, business and RNC as proof that you are indeed living here. (the tourist visa to this point is almost automatic)

5) get her to the states and apply for a change of status to get her off of tourist status and a legal resident.

Disclaimer: I assume you are in an actual serious relationship and not trying to scam INS, if this is not the case then go and scr@w yourself.
Mr. Mike, IMHO, this sounds a lot more complicated than getting a K1 visa. The time-line and costs of establishing DR residency, setting up a Dominican company, and then applying for a tourist visa (which approval is far from automatic); seem far greater than they would be for a K1 visa.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Berzin said:
We always had a thing for each other back in the states but I was with someone at the time that I thought I would wind up marrying, so I never pursued anything.
It sounds like she had a visa in the past. Do you know what kind of visa she had, and what happened with it? The answers may either help of hinder your process of getting a K1 visa.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
rellosk said:
It sounds like she had a visa in the past. Do you know what kind of visa she had, and what happened with it? The answers may either help of hinder your process of getting a K1 visa.

I am wondering if she had a regular visa and overstayed becuase she was'nt in school at the time when she was in the states. If this is the case, would it hinder the K1 visa process at all?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Berzin said:
For the person who told me to go screw myself if this was a scam-the young lady in question I have known for over 7 years. We lost contact for a while when she went back home to the DR and met up again in person when I was in La Vega after we had spoken on the phone for quite a while(about a year and a half).
We always had a thing for each other while I knew her here but I was with someone at the time that I thought I would wind up marrying, so I never pursued anything.
She comes from a good family and is not some dirt-poor hooker from Boca Chica. I was just asking these questions because now that I am not tied to anyone I have to think of my future and was wondering how I can go about getting her over here IF we were to wind up marrying.
I have heard so many different stories about the easiest ways to relocate a dominican that I just wanted to hear from a few people that have been through it.
This does'nt mean I am going to do anything anytime soon, and I am still in the process of checking for any alterior motives. So life for now will continue as is. I just wanted some of my questions answered from someone who would know.

Well I said if so if you fall into the category of if not then obviously I'm not talking to you. The most frustrating part of the process is standing for hours in line behind blatant scammers and being assumed to be one by employees of my own government.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
rellosk said:
Mr. Mike, IMHO, this sounds a lot more complicated than getting a K1 visa. The time-line and costs of establishing DR residency, setting up a Dominican company, and then applying for a tourist visa (which approval is far from automatic); seem far greater than they would be for a K1 visa.

Well I'm far from an expert, but in my case since I had all the other things (except the visa itself) this was by far the quickest and cheapest option.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
What about the income requirements? Do I need to present tax papers, check stubs, bank statements and the like?

L

LarrySpencer

K-1

Now I thought you just got done saying that you don't know how serious you are about this...now you want to provide financial information and such. Yes, just copies of your tax returns. Once you get her here, it really dowsn't matter if you both go broke, have 14 children and live on welfare, you just can't start out that way.

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
Berzin said:
What about the income requirements? Do I need to present tax papers, check stubs, bank statements and the like?

The following are the 2005 Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-864P.htm

You will need verification of income from your employer, last 3 years tax returns (copies). You won't need bank account info unless you don't make 125% of the poverty guidelines, and I am sure that won't be a problem for you.

Really, this is NOT hard. Just time consuming and tedious. It isn't really even all that expensive, and the fees are not due all at once.

-Tim
--

twincactus

Aug 9, 2004
LarrySpencer said:
Now I thought you just got done saying that you don't know how serious you are about this...now you want to provide financial information and such. Yes, just copies of your tax returns. Once you get her here, it really dowsn't matter if you both go broke, have 14 children and live on welfare, you just can't start out that way.

Man isn't that the truth. what you do after they get here matters not.

-Tim
--

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
LarrySpencer said:
Now I thought you just got done saying that you don't know how serious you are about this...now you want to provide financial information and such.

I am NOT going over there to provide any financial information... this was just a question that I needed answered.

Thanks for all of the info, TwinCactus-you have helped me tremendously.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Berzin said:
I am wondering if she had a regular visa and overstayed becuase she was'nt in school at the time when she was in the states. If this is the case, would it hinder the K1 visa process at all?
My guess is yes, they might scrutinize the relationship more and it might hinder the process.