Waste Disposal on the North Coast

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Somehow I missed this story when it happened, only stumbled on it now while searching for something else on the Presidency's website (www.presidencia.gov.do):

Gobierno y mun?cipes de Puerto Plata acuerdan solucionar problema del vertedero

El gobierno acord? con los distintos sectores de la ciudad de Puerto Plata soluciones transitorias y definitivas al vertedero de esa ciudad, anunciaron los ingenieros F?lix Bautista y Mariano Germ?n, quienes encabezaron la comisi?n designada por el presidente Leonel Fern?ndez para estos fines.

Conforme a lo acordado con las autoridades y representativos de esa provincia, se operar? transitoriamente un vertedero en Loma de la Bestia, el cual estar?a al servicio del municipio de Puerto Plata.

El vertedero definitivo, conforme a lo informado por los funcionarios, operar?a en Caraballo, en Montellano para lo cual se construir?a un relleno sanitario con fondos del Banco Mundial que el gobierno central se encargar?a de licitar, contratar y constituir.

I'm only quoting part of the article in order to stay within the "fair use" guidelines for copyrighted material. You can read the full government press release at http://www.presidencia.gov.do/frontend/articulo.php?id=2174

Now, I happen to know several Sanitago- & North Coast-based DR1ers who have been active on this issue over the last couple of years and a few who were even invited to earlier meetings with Puig and the local mayors about this issue. Were any of you involved in this event or its follow-up? Anybody have actual knowledge of the sites, people, etc. involved that can provide some perspective on whether this is for real, and what the actual timeline might be for the various actions claimed? [And no, CC, that does not mean one of your standard "it all means nothing" tirades! I'm looking for actual info here, not just cynicism].

Thanks in advance,
Keith

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey, it's a start.
POP needs cleaning up in a big way.
Just imagine if that whole Malecon beach was swimmable.
Then, if they could clean up the port, Costambar and Cofreisi beaches would be world class.