Travel from Santo Domingo to Cararete

karibbeankidd

Oct 5, 2005
Hello - will be visiting DR for the first time in Feb. for 2 1/2 weeks.Thinking of renting a car for visiting various parts of the island and getting to our destination in Cabarete from Santo Domingo. Does anyone know which is the best route to take? And how to get out to the main north - south highway? Thanks

First timer

Car rental, in my opinion for a first timer is eceommended in my opinion, many others have said exactly the same. Bus it to POP and then on the Cabarete by bus or taxi.
When renting a car yopu might end up lost, things are not signed very well, there are two routes to Cabarete from the Santiago area if you get that far.

I hope Escott or Hillbilly jumps in here, to respond.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Leaving santo Domingo, you need only ask for the "Autopista Duarte" and aim your car North.
There are shorter routes to Cabarete than staying on that highway, but as Wud mentioned, the roads are not very well marked and it may be better to take the longer route and not get lost.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Don't get too brave, no2w.

Be wise and take public transportation.

Take a taxi to the Caribe Tours station in Santo Domingo--the rates are posted as you come out of the Customs area.

Take a Caribe Tours bus to Sosúa and then another taxi to Cabarete. It's just a 10 or 15 minute ride.

THEN you can rent a car if you want, and go out and explore a bit.

To the East is Río San Juan and Playa Grande, Cabrera and Nagua and Samaná.

To the West is Sosúa, Puerto Plata, Luperón.

Really adventerous? Go to Santiago.

But, please don't rent a car right away....there are tons of dos and don'ts regarding the rental of a vehicle, as well as the consequences of not knowing the "Laws" such as they are, nor the language (?)....You could ruin a nice holiday in a New York minute....

HB :ermm: :ermm:

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Problems with renting a car and driving that route:

1) Easy to get lost in Santo Domingo to find highway

2) Gas rationing after 8 pm and on weekends

3) Getting lost in Santiago near the monument trying to find exit to connecting highway (it took me about 8 tries before getting this right and actually found an alternate route by accident)

4) DOMINICAN DRIVING

I agree with taking the bus and then renting a car once in Cabarete for the first time around - however - it can be done but will be with much frustration.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If the starting point for your exploration of the island is Cabarete, you would be well advised to get there by bus.

Conchman has given a good list of reasons why. Persist in driving and you run a very real risk of getting your holiday started on a very sour note.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
You've been given great advice so far. The roads in the DR aren't that bad compared to some 3rd world countries, but the signage is universally dismal. It is very easy to get lost or turned around. I usually log 1,500 to 2,000 km each trip, but I know the country pretty well. I still have vivid memories of going 5-wide down a 2 lane highway! 2 of us leaving San Francisco and 3 coming at us.

Big advantage of the bus is that everyone gets out of its way. :) Take the bus.

Swede

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
And once you reach Cabarete you should consider hiring a car and driver by the hour or day. With the high price of rental cars, gas, insurance, etc., you usually can negotiate an hourly or daily rate with a local taxi (cheaper than a hotel taxi). This way you have no worries of getting lost or the other Dominican drivers.