milk

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
Can anyone tell me what type of milk sold in the DR is most comparable to 2 or 1 percent milk here in US? and whats up with the milk sold in boxes? how does it stay fresh? i've tried sampling different milk brands to see which i like and some are soooooooo nasty and the blue and white container i belive the rica one is the one i can tolerate. but now the baby is drinking milk and when i go down there i need to know what kind to buy for her. So, what brands do you like, and what do you feed a 1 yr old?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The milk in boxes is aseptically packaged, which keeps it from spoiling on the shelf. If you read the labels, you can buy "leche entero" (whole milk), descremada (skim) or semi-descremada (2%). I believe they also sell a lactose-free milk (sin lactosa).

I generally buy Parmalat skim - but that is a personal preference.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I am a parmalat person too, so is my son...
There is also mixes for kids.. leche de avena and others..

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Soy milk in boxes and powder is also available. We buy the powder and mix it in large dispensers. Previously we drank skim and 2% that we mixed ourselves. You can save money training your baby to drink milk made from powder.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
La Vaquita and Familiar are my 2 favorites. I find the others taste a bit salty...:S Used to buy the Rica refrigerated stuff but after buying a few sour ones in a row, I decided it wasn't worth it. You've also got a good selection of powdered milk down here, although I personally don't like it (could be I don't mix it right).

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
do they sell pastureized cows milk at all?.............

I guess you don't know what pasteurization is. All milk except for the stuff fresh from the cow is pasteurized or otherwise treated to control undesirable bacteria. The boxed milk that isn't refrigerated is pasteurized by the UHT (Ultra High Temperature) method which allows it to be safely stored for months. A good choice in a country where the electricity is iffy.

Swede

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
KateP said:
La Vaquita and Familiar are my 2 favorites. I find the others taste a bit salty...:S Used to buy the Rica refrigerated stuff but after buying a few sour ones in a row, I decided it wasn't worth it. You've also got a good selection of powdered milk down here, although I personally don't like it (could be I don't mix it right).

Same here. Such a pity that in a country with so much agriculture and cattle farming we can't have a reliable fresh milk supply. ):

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
All milk sold in the Dominican markets is imported in powder form and reconstituted and packaged here.
The only way you can get milk from the local cows, is if you have friends who have cows, and they bring it to you.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Rocky said:
All milk sold in the Dominican markets is imported in powder form and reconstituted and packaged here.
The only way you can get milk from the local cows, is if you have friends who have cows, and they bring it to you.
In POP we have guys selling milk from large milk cans on the back of a pickup truck every morning. Can't imagine it is very safe though, warm and not pasteurized.

Sep 19, 2005
I guess I never knew that any milk that could sit unrefridgerated for any length of time could be cows milk. And I never knew they had more than one type of pastureization. Its never to late to learn something....but in any case i have not seen any "regular" american milk... and the stuff I have had down here was awful compared to "regular" milk.......bob

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Ken said:
Right from the cow. You're right, it is not pasteurized.

I thought that if you take fresh squeezed cow's milk and boiled it . That is suppose to kill any living bacteria.. I am I right or wrong?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Boiling it long enough should kill most anything, including the taste. But I am not aware that the people who go around on motorcycles and trucks filling containers brought by the people buying whatever quantity of milk they want are boiling the milk before starting off on their routes.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
I guess I never knew that any milk that could sit unrefridgerated for any length of time could be cows milk. And I never knew they had more than one type of pastureization. Its never to late to learn something....but in any case i have not seen any "regular" american milk... and the stuff I have had down here was awful compared to "regular" milk.......bob

If you want to drink milk, you drink what is available. If you live here, you soon get accustomed to it. Drank a lot of US milk when there during month of July, but tasted pretty much like what I am accustomed to drinking here.

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Nyeden said:
I thought that if you take fresh squeezed cow's milk and boiled it . That is suppose to kill any living bacteria.. I am I right or wrong?

Boiling kills bacteria all right and also the flavor as Ken correctly stated. Pasteurization is performed at a lower temperature that kills the majority of the most undesirable bacteria while preserving flavor. IIRC somewhere around 140 degrees F for a moderate period of time.

Whole milk sold in US stores is also homogenized, a process that reduces the size of fat particles within the milk and prevents the fat from separating and rising to the top.

They also standardize the fat content by removing excess fat to be used in making butter, cheese, ice cream, etc. Most whole milks have around 3% butterfat while milk straight from the cow ranges from about 3.5% to 6% or more.

How do I know this? From managing a herd of several hundred cattle on a ranch near San Juan de la Maguana of which we milked nearly 400 cows twice or 3 times daily. :) :ermm:

Swede

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
m65swede said:
Boiling kills bacteria all right and also the flavor as Ken correctly stated. Pasteurization is performed at a lower temperature that kills the majority of the most undesirable bacteria while preserving flavor. IIRC somewhere around 140 degrees F for a moderate period of time.

Whole milk sold in US stores is also homogenized, a process that reduces the size of fat particles within the milk and prevents the fat from separating and rising to the top.

They also standardize the fat content by removing excess fat to be used in making butter, cheese, ice cream, etc. Most whole milks have around 3% butterfat while milk straight from the cow ranges from about 3.5% to 6% or more.

How do I know this? From managing a herd of several hundred cattle on a ranch near San Juan de la Maguana of which we milked nearly 400 cows twice or 3 times daily. :) :ermm:

Swede

Very Interesting...... I had fresh cow milk once when I was younger. tasted pretty good with a rich flavor, yet a little different to the milk cartons in the U.S.

Sep 19, 2005
m65swede....you milked some cows three times a day? was that because they were producing so much milk?. I have helped on farm I have had permission to hunt, and twice a day was the norm. Even on the cows that produce more than a 100 lbs a day. I have had milk straight from the teat, although it was shot from under the cow up to me!!!!!!!!! I wasnt about to suckle a cow!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha.....bob

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
laurapasinifan said:
I have helped on farm I have had permission to hunt, and twice a day was the norm.
I do believe that sentence could win the DR1 "most confusing sentence of the year" award.

Sep 19, 2005
isnt it great when you can chop up a sentance and leave the little quote marks so neatly where ever you want!........reminds me of my hunting buddy ( who is from the DR and got me to going down there in the first place)...he wasnt always as good at english listening or speaking, and I have really really helped him over the years. At first he would base everything someone said on any or only the words he knew well in a sentance......and once bird got up and flew back over us towards the road and i said . "DONT shoot!!!"....he didnt know "dont", but he certainly knew what shoot ment... and he did!!!!!! see how leaving the first half of a subject or sentance out changes the whole meaning......I asked if they milked those cows THREE TIMES A DAY, and then very quickly said , two times a day was the norm..........but I guess you really knew that anyway...but didnt want it to spoil your fun.........in any case your opinion may change of me, but real life doesnt change with your opinions...........next!!!!!.......bob