Best Beach Playa Rincon ?

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Now from reading various threads on Samana, I am visiting soon (can?t wait) . I hear that Playa El Rincon is the Best beach in the peninsula.. I will be staying in the Terrenas. Does anyone knows how far it is from there? Is it really a white sand turquoise water, can it be compared to the ones in Cancun and Hawaii ?? Someone told me that Playa Dorada was that way.. when I went there I was very dissapointed... it wasn't

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Okay, Rincon is a quiet beach, usually deserted, in the mouth of a small bay,with no hotels in site, no hassling vendors, no booths, no signs, no blaring radios. nice white sand and a fresh water lagoon to rinse off in.

I haven't been to HI and Cancun, so I have to apologize.

Lastly, it is far from Las Terrenas to Las Galeras/Rincon. You take a guagua for 50 or 100 pesos from Las Terrenas to Samana, in the morning this takes aorund 2 hours or less. From Samana market, you take another guagua for 30-50 pesos to Las Galeras. Then you take a boat or pay someone to drive you to Rincon.

I recommend that you paya bit more and let someone else deal with the hassle - if you PM me, I can give you a phone number for a trustworthy taxi driver out of Samana - who can pick you up in Las Terrenas and take you all the way to Rincon for lunch and beach and then back to your hotel in Las Terrenas.

I have done the guaguas when I had time, but they can be cramped and it all depends on how tired and cranky you are when you decompress on vacation.

For anyone with a few extra bucks, it is well worth it to pay a driver.

okay, so PM me if you want the taxi info. Enjoy!

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Ok let me get this straight.. you need to get on a boat to go to Playa Rincon? Thanks for your information on the taxis. But since we will have our own car and we wont be needing public transportation.. So if you drive straight from Las Terrenas its going to be aprox. 2 hours..?? right

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You do not need a boat to get to Playa Rincon. From Las Terrenas you will drive to Samana. Then continue toward Las Galeras. Before Las Galeras there is a turn off to Playa Rincon. From that point figure about 25 minutes as the road is very bad at the end. I recommend a 4 wheel Suv for this, but people do get there in cars.

I have never driven from Las Terrenas to Samana so I could only guess one hour. The rest, 20 minutes to the turn off to Playa Rincon, and 25 more minutes to the beach.

I would suggest going to Las Galeras for a few days and stay there. There are many nice hotels there. I like Club Bonito myself. When you go the Playa Rincon make sure and eat there, the fish and Longosta are the best I have had in the D.R. By car, turn left when you reach the beach and go to the last Blue Tent to eat. There is a fat lady cooking that has been there forever. She cooks the best fish. Price 200 RD complete.

Sosua Gal

Jul 7, 2005
checkpointsosua.spaces.live.com
Playa Bonita

Hi Nyeden:
:classic:
I have been to Las Terrenas and Las Galeras- both very nice places. Las Terrenas has more restaurants and is much busier. Las Galeras is somewhat "sleepier", if you know what I mean.
I just got back from 5 days in Las Galeras and it was really nice- did Playa Rincon and the beach that sretches all the way to the River- very secluded and very nice.
That said, while in Las Terrenas, you cannot miss Playa Bonita. We rented a bike and drove there- I have pictures on my webshots if you want to go look, they are located at http://community.webshots.com/user/sosuamisners
There are some nice shots of Playa Bonita on there.
Whatever you decide, they are both two of the finest beaches I have set foot on in this country.
Have fun!!!
Sosua Gal

faer

Jan 6, 2005
any recommended place where to spend the night, would like to go over there with the family

thanks

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
faer said:
any recommended place where to spend the night, would like to go over there with the family

thanks

There are several hotels right in Las Galeras. I've stayed at Club Bonito before (thought is was very expensive for what they offer, but I just showed up, so maybe you can get a better rate if you reserve in advance). There's also an all inclusive over there (Casa Marina), but not right on the main drag. To get to it you have to turn right on the road just before you get to Las Galeras beach (before Club Bonito).

When we went we took the boat. The guys charged me 700 pesos for the four of us (about 30 USD at the time). If I had to do it over I would drive. The boat ride is cool, but not worth what they charge IMO. In addition I like to be able to come and go as I wish. If you take the boat you have to tell the guy when you're leaving, so he can come back and pick you up. In our case we would have stayed longer if you had driven.

I don't know how the drive is, but I did see several cars right on the beach, so the drive must not be that bad. I think any small SUV should be able to make it OK.

This is one of my favorite all time beaches and I will go again next time I can. As some people have already mentioned try the fish and the pina coladas on the little shack...Just absolutely awsome.

siren

Nov 23, 2004
I think Rincon is comparable to other playas in Hawaii and others for sure. It is a beach you should go see if your are comming to the Dominican Republic. I must say though, I have seen some "local" beaches I found just as beautiful here in the Samana area. Playa Fronton is one (hope I spelled it right!) that I have to mention because of its beauty. It is difficult to get to though. Have fun on your visit and I hope you find the playas what you hoped for.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
For pictures and more detailed information about Playa Rincon, Playa Fronton and the Samana peninsula see the Attractions section of www.SamanaOnline.com They are the two prettiest beaches in the DR and rank among the best in the Caribbean (and maybe the world).

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
HORRIBLE BEACH!!!!! You DON"T want to go there! Waste of time! OK, I don't want anyone else to know about Heaven On Earth...so...Horrible...Miserable...Stay Away...Flea Infested...Crabby...Hot...OH MY GOD..PARADISE!!!!...Hard to get to...Too wet...too...pick a derogatory term...anything to keep people away! It needs to remain "un-exploited"! GG

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
GG,
You should have seen it 10 years ago. It was even more horrible then! And no matter how "horrible" it might be now, better see it in the next year or two as the developers of the mega tourism/hotel project scheduled for Playa Rincon are getting serious now that the el Catey/Samana international airport is nearing completion and the new highway from Santo Domingo to Samana (and Rincon, terminating near Las Galeras) is well under way.
I hear they already have men working there now.

gagilmer

Jul 12, 2005
Let's hope for some REALLY BAD luck for them! End of July I spent a day doing absolutely nothing but playing in the water and laying on the sand like a beached whale. We were at the eastern most end (Beyond Minins and Ruby's). Over a six hour time-period we saw a grand total of 5 other people. They had taken the boat ride from Las Galeras and were the only ones who walked far enough to reach my piece of heaven. Sure do wish I could strike oil in the backyard, get filthy rich, buy-out the developers and keep it just the way it is.....not much oil in Virginia though!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
gagilmer said:
HORRIBLE BEACH!!!!! You DON"T want to go there! Waste of time! OK, I don't want anyone else to know about Heaven On Earth...so...Horrible...Miserable...Stay Away...Flea Infested...Crabby...Hot...OH MY GOD..PARADISE!!!!...Hard to get to...Too wet...too...pick a derogatory term...anything to keep people away! It needs to remain "un-exploited"! GG

Paradise is not for ever, enjoy it while you can. Over twenty years ago it was really prestine. My cousin Maximo owned a beach cabin close by. I borrowed it often. Take a small motor bike...

Macnolos

Jan 10, 2006
Bahia Rincon

HI, This is my first post. I recently came from Las Galeras were I stayed for 2 nights in hotel Villa Serena , the most peacefull small hotel that I have been in, food and accomodations were more than I expected. This trip was supposed to be for whale watching but in the end my friends and I decided to rent 4 wheelers instead and go off-roading, this was the best choice we could ever have made. We went to Bahia rincon and it was simply beatiful. I don't know if it's better than those beaches in Cancun but it's definately the best beach in the DR. Best way to get there is in ATV's or dirt Bikes.

Although the pictures don't do the place any Justice, visit the website at www.bahiarincon.com

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
I'm not sure if it was Conde Nast (however you spell it) or some other rating institution, but Playa Rincon was rated the second most beautiful beach in the world. I personally love it's peaceful ambiance and picturesque mountain view. The fact that it's where the Rio Yunque (or is it Yaque?) meets the sea makes it worth the visit.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
At the northwest end of the beach is the Cana Frio, a small, icy-cold, freshwater stream, rising from several small springs and maybe a half mile long, that flows into the sea over a shallow sand bar. The river you are referring to flows into the west end of Samana Bay.

G

gary short

If you're staying in Las Terrenas go to Playa Bonita. It's got a protecting reef, crystal clear shallow calm water, with big palms shading a white sand beach. I don't know how many kilometers long it is but there are stretches where you won't see anyone. Then go on to Las Galeras. Oh and the beaches aren't anything like Cancun or Hawaii. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Aphex

May 13, 2005
I was just at Playa Rincon 3 weeks ago, and while beautiful by location and scenery, the beach itself was very dirty and unkept. All the pictures I have seen of Playa Rincon were amazing, but did not even come close to what it looked like while I was there....there weren't may areas at all to setup your towels and lay out. Just a heads up. I don't want to take away from the beauty of it, but it is quite a drive to get to from the main road, but I have to say I was a bit disappointed with it. As touristy as it is, Cayo Laventado was spectacular and as clean as you can get!