Santo Domingo Blues - Movie about Luis Vargas/Bachata

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I just realized that Santo Domingo Blues is playing in the theater on 181st Street (probably the only movie theater in Washington Heights). I am not sure how long it will play for so I am going tonight as Magdalena has not seen it yet (I saw it 2 times and it is a great documentary about Luis Vargas and bachata).

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Lucky you

I am still hoping to see that documentary some day since the history of bachata music and the social context are so profound. A genre of music for which I have a very unique admiration and respect is presented in an interesting and well compiled historical documentary. If the website is indicative of the presentation then anyone who has an interest in understanding this genre from the root will enjoy it. Luis Vargas is certainly an interesting bachatero. His style and his lyrics say a lot about his struggle and the struggle of the genre.

Recommended contemporary albums: Mensajero (2004), Inolvidable (2005).

Here is the website:

santodomingoblues.com

LDG.

Last edited:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Spanish with English subtitles.
All the materials on the website are in English. Check it out for yourself.

laurapasinifan said:
may I ask, is the movie in english or spanish?.....bob

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Wow....

I haven't even heard about that movie but bachata is not my thing anyways. Hope it does good anyways, it's Dominican country music, it's done just like American country music and become the best selling genre from that country. Music from the working class, some great lyrics in some of those songs but the little guitar kills me.....

jeanmarie

Mar 24, 2004
How was it?

Hi Chris,

Did you go?

I want to go with my husband tomorow night...

Any idea how I find out the time it plays? or the theatre name on 181st?

Thanks, Jeanmarie

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
It was 3rd time I saw it and first in regular movie theatre and I still liked it. My girlfrend Magdalena enjoyed also. Check www.777film.com and put it "Santo Domingo Blues" and it is the only theatre that will come up - on 181st and Broadway - across from McDonalds.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
I would love to see this film but am nowhere near NYC and won't return to the DR for two weeks. Can it be bought or seen via the internet?
The first time I ever saw Luis Vargas play live, it was in the little pueblo of Santa Maria, where he is from. I was there to see Anthony Santos, who at that time was not a big star and still played at the small paradas in the campo. When Santos was done, Vargas just got up from a table close by me and started jamin. Probably wern't more than 100 people in the place.
And of course, he's not even the most famous bachatero in this dirt poor pueblito in the middle of nowhere. That would be "the chief", who still lives in Santa Maria in a big mansion on the main drag. Anthony Santos lives just down the road in his hometown of Las Matas de Santa Cruz, which is THE ugliest pueblo in all of the DR. Then also, there is Yoskar Sarante, who grew up in Manzanillo, which is just a few cliks on the other side of Santa Maria. He left town early in life but still has relatives there. Blah blah blah, but anyway, if anyone knows how I can get my hands on that documentary, plesae let me know K