El Cibao, Aug. 19th-21st., 2005

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I was finally able to book my trip now that my passport issues have been temporarily worked out. The way they extended the expiration date(posted on the back page instead of the front) is bound to get me in trouble, and I fully expect major problems when I leave from Puerto Plata. So the idiot who yanked me off my last flight is bound to have a field day with this one. Even the agent at JFK initially told me that I could'nt fly because my passport was expired. I just told her to look at the last page, so she cheerfully let me on my way.

I did a little shopping at the Gap for a girl that I know but it turned out to be a big disaster. I should have saved my money-maybe I would have been treated better. But at the time I was happy that I had gotten so much nice stuff for someone that I truely had genuine affection for.(What a sucker!!!!):lick:

I was wondering on the plane who I will meet and how it will affect my life. I was quite anxious about this and looking forward to checking out the scene in Santiago. Supposedly the girls there are beautiful. Well, I've heard THAT before. We'll see.

I also came with school supplies for a neighbors' daughter who lives in Santo Domingo. I did her mother a favor because it would of cost her an arm and a leg to ship the stuff. Her family was nice enough to pick me up at the airport since they live close by in La Vega(their summer home). At least my bags will be lighter when I go back home.

The flight was great, but it took forever to get my bags. I could'nt help notice how beautiful the girls were-the ones who work in the airport were gorgeous. I just sat back and thought, "Man, dominican women are amazing!!!!"( That's why I'm here all the time!!);)

I was picked up at the airport by my friends and taken around Santiago a bit. We went to the monument and hung out for a while, then it was off to eat. We set off for the hotel-the hotel Colonial was not really a place I felt safe in, regardless of the reivews by other DR1 members. In fact, every mid-budget hotel we saw in Santiago and La Vega were pretty much dumps, but for 900 pesos a night the Hotel Rey in La Vega was'nt bad at all-very clean and nice.

After a good nights' sleep we left. We took in the town of Buena Vista, the hotel Brisas de los Alpes and then to Jarabacoa-the park, cathedral, cemetary, lunch at the Hotel Gran Jimenoa(a beautiful hotel located on a river with a suspension bridge leading to the reataurant) and many of the small towns in the surrounding area.

Then it was to Balneario La Confluencia(a typical swimming spot along a river) and the waterfalls at Salto Jimenoa. I could'nt get any pictures of the waterfall at the end of the 3 very unstable suspension bridges because when we got to the end it started raining terribly, but it made for a wonderful atmosphere. I thought, "This certainly beats chasing hookers around Boca Chica, that's for sure!!"

We got drenched walking back to the car, but made a great time of it and went back to my friends' home to enjoy a wonderful home-cooked meal. The next day it was more travelling. We went to a friends' home in the hills and I got some lovely pictures of the valleys below. They were very gracious and I was fed some excellent morro. Great food and even better company.

Up the hill at Santo Cerro, the monument for father Fransico Fantino at the top of a lovely hill, and then to the church where he is buried. We past by the Arbol de Nispero(where Christopher Columbus supposedly saw the Virgin Mary when he was fighting the Taino natives. This supposedly gave him the strength to fend them off) and into the church, where the the Holy Hole of the Cross is located. The view of the valley below from the church is stunning to say the least. Itdefinitely has to be seen in person.

We then drove to the town of Salcedo to visit the museum dedicated to the Hermanas Mirabal, 3 sisters killed by Trujillo back in 1960 for taking part in the resistance to his regime. We then headed to the town of Moca for some coffee and dulce de coco at a neighbors' home. More hospitality and more friends that I hope I will be able to keep visiting for many years to come.

The next day I hung out for a while in la Vega(Yes!!! Helados Bon again!!!) and headed off to Sosua. Reflecting on my trip so far, if I do nothing but lie on the beach for the next 10 days, it would have been a memorable trip. But it was just the beginning...

http://berzin.smugmug.com/gallery/881919 Check out the pics, ladies and gents!!!!