Shopping around...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This is actually for the men of the forum, but women feel free to respond. As a person who travels(mainly to the DR, but also to other countries) and is single, I thought, WOW!! The DR is incredible!! So many pretty girls, and boy what a relief to not have to deal with the hang-ups and BS I deal with in NYC!

Well, there is no such thing as paradise. I think some of us are more prone to getting involved in intense sexual relationships without thinking that the women we spend such passionate nights with are'nt really all that good for us in the long run. So what is a single guy to do when he's got his face in a cookie jar full of cookies with noone watching?

I've had the pleasure of meeting some amazingly charming, warm and considerate people while in the DR. Ted and Marco from Rockys in Sosua, fellow DR1 member JWB(had an awesome time in Rio San Juan, brother!! Thanks a million for everything, and sorry my ladyfriend was such a sourpuss!!!), Santos, the right hand man of the great people who run the Hostal Zapata in Boca Chica(this guy SERIOUSLY looked after me the times I have stayed there) and my friends in Santo Domingo, who have shown me the other side of dominican life all over the capital and the Cibao, not just the hookers of Boca Chica and Sosua!!

I sort of felt sorry while back in Sosua for the turistas that go there strictly to whoremonger. Not that I am judging them(hey, to each his own) but if they don't get out and see the DR from a different perspective it is easy to get the wrong impression of dominicans. I say this being just as guilty of the same things I am talking about so I can see both sides. Which brings me to my main point.

Finding a life partner is difficult enough under ideal circumstances, but as some of us on the DR1 forum found out you can't have it both ways. You can't go out in search of nice chicas who one would potentially consider as marriage material and whoremonger at the same time. It just does'nt work. I managed to find a great girl without even looking, but at this time I still have cold feet about what the future possibly holds.

This could be because I have enjoyed being single and having the freedom to come and go as I please. But there comes a time when bad habits become ingrained, which will lead to problems further down the line.

I have a friend who lives in Brazil. He told me that the first year was great, but his lifestyle began to eat him up. He told me he is at the point now where he can't even hold a conversation with a woman he is interested in because he has become jaded. If they don't fall in bed with him right away, he feels as if he is wasting his time so he does'nt bother looking for anything stable or meaningful. I have visited him several times so I know what he is talking about.

Now like I said I say this because it is very difficult for me to give up my present lifestyle and look forward to "settling down" when there is so much fun to be had. But as some of us know, fun can have its downsides.

Like falling for someone for the wrong reasons. Or letting a great person slip away from you because she won't let you treat her like a hooker. Well, we all make our choices and live with them. So at a moment where I am sitting on the fence, deciding which way to go, I have to consider that the person in my life won't necessarliy wait patiently while I get my "wild side" out of my system.

Some people can go on playing around forever, and there is nothing wrong with that. I happen to be at a point where I am reconsidering all of that. I still don't know which way I will go. Alot to consider until my next trip this coming Christmas. Maybe I just need Marco to slap me silly and I'll snap out of all this.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I would like to choose my words carefully, so as to not suffer the wrath of those who do not like my idea, but I might just as well blurt it out and say it and take my chances.
What's wrong with doing both?
Live the lifestyle you presently do, with a constant eye out for that "special" one, and while you court her, you can continue with your normal lifestyle.
If it truly develops to be what you are dreaming for, you will just instinctively start to let go of your wandering ways and slowly settle into the long term stable relationship.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you want a serious girl you will have to avoid any women that live anywhere near tourist areas. Get a 4-wheel drive car and drive until you have no idea where you are, then go another hour. Then you can start looking.

Last edited:

Zorian1

Aug 21, 2005
information.. worth its weight in GOLD

that's what I love about reading these threads... I always learn something.. and if I learn something to be aware of or to avoid.. it saves me a lot of time. I like the idea of getting off the beaten path.. is there any such place outside of Santa Domingo?

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
La Romana

Try La Romana, it works for me. Just take a look at the Media Gallery, or e-mail me for details.

Chuckuindy

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Off the beaten path, or not...

I believe that other than the big cities, tourist towns are the ideal place for finding your dream gal.
Dominican tourists come to tourist towns as well and it's always easier to meet a woman, anywhere in the world, when she's away from her regular environment, regular schedules, job, responsibilities, family, etc.
The true secret lies in speaking the lingo.
First, you can carry a conversation, and you can quickly determine what type of person you are talking to.
Go to Sosua beach on the weekends and see for yourself.
If you go live in Santo Domingo, Santiago, Moca, La Vega, San Francisco or Barahona, perhaps your chances are even greater, but, again, you must have a good command of the language.
And living in those big cities is quite a penalty to pay, just to slightly improve your odds.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
A very sincere message...

Berzin,

From the tasteful post and in depth description you took the time to express your concern, I am certain that you are a good guy who is now "ready" for phase #2 of life.

I will respond to your post not as a guy talking (or typing) to another guy, but rather in a very personal tone. I would appreciate any nonsensical comments that certain posters have a habit of making towards certain of my posts be refrained in this case, because I will take offense this time.

Falling in Love
I don't know how many people actually have fallen in love in their lives, in real love. Most people end up liking a person very much, but it may not be fully love. What is love?

I think that love is simply a deeply rooted care a person develops towards another, a caring feeling that simply creates jolts of desire to keep living. Love is not sexual, although its often used as a way of expressing such thing. Love is not caring, although its often demonstrated in such way. Love is not being attracted to the physical, although often people use physical attraction as a stepping stone in getting to know another person or as a reason to not talk to a person of interest (if the person is physically too attractive) because of fear of rejection.

Love is what you feel towards your mother. There is no explanation towards this, because its hard to explain this feeling, but you have/had a mother and probably know exactly what I am talking about here. When you feel that same feeling, that same bond towards a particular woman, that is the moment you fall in love. I always say, every guys first love is his mother (for the most chidish of DR1ers, please keep your nonsensical comments to yourself!). Our mothers is the first woman we learn to appreciate, its the first woman we learn to defend, its the first woman we learn to treat with special care, and its the first woman we know, period!

There will never be anyone else like your mother, but the woman who best fills that wonderful bond between mother and child towards you is the woman who has captured your heart and that is the person you should consider greatly in developing something deeper, beyond the casual courtship.

The Single Life
Being single is a great social status to be in, for a time. Being single puts one responsible of nobody else, but yourself. Being single means having little responsibilities towards others, being free to make spontaneous decisions and not have to consult with the spouse or girlfriend, being single allows us to experiment with different things, different ways, perhaps different dating styles.

Because of the relatively low level of responsibilities being single has (as oppose to not being single), we tend to be very free in the mating game. Sleeping with three or four girls a week may become a normal routine, treating girl solely to getting in their pants may become a primary objective in a single person's life, and causal dating with "flirts" on the side may become inately ingrained in the single lifestyle of any men.

The Crisis
The problem arises for the guy when he is no longer fulfilled by the single life. He yearns something extra, there is a hole deep down inside that is not getting fulfilled. It does not matter how many women he sleeps with, how many girlfriends he maintains, deep down inside the emotional hole continues.

This is the point when a guy reaches the moment in time when he is ready to settle down. The guy had his fun, now its time to reap the benefits of another type of fun. This is a fun based on responsibility, on growing emotionally with a loyal woman, of growing old with a wonderful woman, of finally settling down with the woman who will fill that void that has not been fulfilled all this time. This is where you are right now...

What Should You Do
I am not going to tell you what you should do, because only you have the authority of making decisions that will affect you from now until the end. However, my suggestion would be the following:

1. Being single is fun, but everything has its time and place. When its time to settle down, it's time to settle down. Don't look at this as giving up a "good" time, but rather moving from an unsophisticated form of fun to a more fulfilling sophisticated fun, pleasure, well being.

2. If you are serious about searching for a fulfilling long term partner, judge the potential woman for here character, her caring style, her intelligence, her general positive aura, and her impact on you which must be positive for all of this to work. If physical beauty is important, only judge a woman on such grounds after the other characteristics have been greatly fulfilled. I say greatly, because there is no such thing as the perfect woman, but there are plenty of women who will almost fill your perfect woman standards that have been developed in the mind.

Just remember, never has there been a couple that have dissolve because one spouse thought the other was less appealing physically. Plenty of couples go through horrible things, sometimes physical disfigurament is tragically an outcome, hardly ever have such couples dissolved and gone their separate paths.

Always, the reasons for couples breaking apart has to do with incompatability of personalities and values. It could be that you and the woman have two different ways of interpreting the world, money, education, child rearing, pleasure, definition of what is love, etc. Even when physical violence or abuse of all sorts is the culprit of a dissolved marriage or couple, the truth is that the different personality style (one excessively dominant, the othe excessively submissive) contradicted to the point that staying together was inpractical and in some cases, could have turn mortal.

Make sure the woman you will settle with is in complete harmony with your desires and aspirations and you with hers and you can be sure that you have taken one of the best decisions in your life!

3. Enjoy everything from that point forward! Remember, it will not always be an easy ride (then again, since when has life been easy?), but it will be very much worth it! There is nothing better in life than coming home after a long day of work and having the most important person in the world within reach. There is nothing better in life than waking up next to a person who actually makes you better than you otherwise could have been, waking up next to a person who actually cares about you, waking up next to a person whom you can't believe actually exist to such perfection of beauty of all kinds.

If you base your most treasured relationship with: Honesty, Caring, Passion, Desire, and above all, respect; you can be sure of having quite a durable relationship with that special woman. Let one of these characteristics break apart from the relationship between you and your wife/girlfriend, and you can be guaranteed of the very least an unhappy relationship and at the very most, separation and termination of a relationship that could have been so much better and fulfilling.

Living the single life is fun, but settling down can be so much better, if you know how to settle down correctly.

This is what I have to say about this, I hope it helps you in a positive way.

In all sincerity,
-NAL

Last edited:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Rocky said:
What's wrong with doing both?
Live the lifestyle you presently do, with a constant eye out for that "special" one, and while you court her, you can continue with your normal lifestyle.
If it truly develops to be what you are dreaming for, you will just instinctively start to let go of your wandering ways and slowly settle into the long term stable relationship.
For those that are looking to settle down, that sounds like a good plan.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Zorian1 said:
that's what I love about reading these threads... I always learn something.. and if I learn something to be aware of or to avoid.. it saves me a lot of time. I like the idea of getting off the beaten path.. is there any such place outside of Santa Domingo?

From Santo Domingo head West towards Barahona. Before Barahona there is a road to Cabral, take this road. Just keep going until you are lost. About one to two hours will do.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
SKY said:
From Santo Domingo head West towards Barahona. Before Barahona there is a road to Cabral, take this road. Just keep going until you are lost. About one to two hours will do.

What exactly am I supposed to find when I get there? It sounds as if you are sending me to Haiti.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
It sounds like you are ready to settle down and apply for that K-1, Buen suerte!! I particularly love the exploits of Santiago, more work involved but the best pay-out!!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Berzin said:
What exactly am I supposed to find when I get there? It sounds as if you are sending me to Haiti.
I think sky meant that you would be so deep in the boonies that you might meet ladies who have not been corrupted by tourism.
The difficulty is, of course, unless you want to live out there in the boonies while courting her, it's a tough deal to work out.
I still believe that the best deal is to learn the language as quick as you can, and be where the masses go, and just hope for the best.
Regards, Marco.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Rocky said:
I think sky meant that you would be so deep in the boonies that you might meet ladies who have not been corrupted by tourism.
The difficulty is, of course, unless you want to live out there in the boonies while courting her, it's a tough deal to work out.
I still believe that the best deal is to learn the language as quick as you can, and be where the masses go, and just hope for the best.
Regards, Marco.

You're right about one thing-at least I speak fluent spanish. But the boonies may not be the place, as you are just as likely to find people who are poorer and less educated than in the main cities. So take your pick-seasoned 18-year old hooker or illiterate bumpkin? There has to be a greater variety than this...

Sep 19, 2005
SKY said:

ha ha haI can attest to this advice, well almost. My first trip to the DR was 3 years ago, and I ventured out just as described with my hosts. We were dove hunting which took us to all ends of the country it seemed. It always seemed to me that the little kids on the sides of the dirt roads staring at me, were seeing their first white guy. But what really caught my attention about this country other than the fact that life lives itself within 25 yards of the road!!!!!!!!! kids play on the edge of the road and parents-adults sit at tables only 10 feet from the road, and you see 90% of the people from the road in the area!!!!............( back to my point now)is the amount of beautifull women and girls you see anywhere, anyplace..dirt poor doesnt mean nothing, pooer than dirt and the girl could win a beauty contest anyplace !!!!!!!!! I think that if I had spent most of my time at a resort that first year the draw to come back would have been nothing compared to what it ended up being. The people , the country side, the terrain, I loved seeing that.....most people in the US I talked to couldnt relate.......of course I ventured into town for the nightlife as well..........sleeping with the tarantulas, isnt hard to out do on the enjoyment scale!!!!!!!!!........bob