International Prenuptial Agreement?

ranges2004

Oct 16, 2005
I'm from the UK, but I have business in several countries. I would like to marry a Dominican woman, but I feel that it is better for me to protect myself for the future, just in case things don't work out. What legal options are available to me in order to protect my assets in the marriage?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
ranges2004 said:
I'm from the UK, but I have business in several countries. I would like to marry a Dominican woman, but I feel that it is better for me to protect myself for the future, just in case things don't work out. What legal options are available to me in order to protect my assets in the marriage?
Sign a prenup in every country you have investments first.

Personally why go into something you feel you need protection from? Rent instead of buy if you are in doubt would be my advice.

ranges2004

Oct 16, 2005
Divorce is common enough that it should be considered in any event.

Even the strongest couples get divorced sometimes. Even if I felt 100% sure of the woman, I would still acknowledge that we may not last forever. Besides, I want to be with someone who I can travel with. That would be hard to do, if not impossible, if she isn't married to me. So renting becomes a less flexible option in that sense.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
ranges2004 said:
Even the strongest couples get divorced sometimes. Even if I felt 100% sure of the woman, I would still acknowledge that we may not last forever. Besides, I want to be with someone who I can travel with. That would be hard to do, if not impossible, if she isn't married to me. So renting becomes a less flexible option in that sense.
What is the difficulty in traveling with someone you are NOT married to? I have done it for years without the slightest problem in the world.

I agree that even the strongest couples get divorced. I split up with my wife 6-7 years ago. We just divided things up without a problem and are still friends. Never spoke with an attorney once in regards to splitting up. We lived together for a couple of years before marrying also and traveled all over before getting married.

Rent is my advice still but make yourself comfortable.

ranges2004

Oct 16, 2005
Hmm. Traveling without difficulty? Do you know something that I don't?

Man, I would rent if I could, but at the moment I am worried about how difficult it will be to get a Dominicana up here to the UK even after we are married, much less thinking about travelling to different parts of the world with her.

I should like to get a prenuptial agreement done here in the UK to start with, but the problem is that she cannot come here until after we are married. I have not, as yet, looked into the possibility of getting one done with her still overseas.

I know that I would still take care of her in any event, as you say, simply divide things up between ourselves without getting too messy with such a situation should the worst come to pass. I have heard that in the DR it costs roughly USD$2,000 to have one drawn up, and having a little familiarity with contract law in general I will be looking it over myself (the English translation, of course). But I have never been married before, and I am wondering just what I should look for in a solid prenuptial agreement and what is involved in arranging it.

Last edited:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If she comes from the right background, family and education wise, it wil not be a problem. I have plenty of Dominican friends that can travel anywhere without a problem.

ranges2004

Oct 16, 2005
Nah, she's not that kind of girl. She's very sweet, nice, funny and pretty, but she is just a poor girl from the campo. I don't think that she would be allowed to get a visa, unfortunately.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
A simple prenup in the DR shouldn't cost more than $300 unless the lady is a businesswoman ("comerciante") in which case a notice by bailiff has to be given to every Notary in her place or residence.

If the wedding is to take place in the Dominican Republic, you should at least do a prenup here. Consult a U.K. solicitor about the situation in the U.K.

ranges2004

Oct 16, 2005
Are you taking on new clients at Guzman Ariza & Asociados?

Well, in that case, where do I find a reliable and knowledgeable lawyer who would be trustworthy for a foreigner in the DR, not just for a prenuptial agreement, but for any other business in the future?

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
My 2cents: There is always a prenup in place whenever/whereever you get married -- whatever the laws happen to be at that time. If you and your future wife don't agree with the laws as written, then you make your own agreement. But get past the idea of having a prenup or not. You have your own pre-nup, or you have the government's.

Also keep in mind that divorce is not the only issue in play here. Inheritance is as well. If I'm not mistaken, if you reside in the DR, your children (by extension, hers) are entitled to a certain portion of your inheritence, will notwithstanding.

Definitely seek legal counsel, both in the UK and in the DR -- not just to protect yourself, but to educate yourself.

Best,

Joseph

ranges2004

Oct 16, 2005
How different are the two types?

Fabio J. Guzman said:
A simple prenup in the DR shouldn't cost more than $300 unless the lady is a businesswoman ("comerciante") in which case a notice by bailiff has to be given to every Notary in her place or residence.

Is the businesswoman type of prenuptial agreement only for a woman who has property or owns her own business prior to entering a marriage? I am assuming that this type of agreement would be much more expensive as well as much more secure.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
ranges2004 said:
Well, in that case, where do I find a reliable and knowledgeable lawyer who would be trustworthy for a foreigner in the DR, not just for a prenuptial agreement, but for any other business in the future?
How about contacting Mr. Guzman (who posted right above you)? He has many clients that post here (my husband and myself included) and have never heard anything but good things about his firm.