Exotic animals.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Emus, llamas,boa constrictors, parrots, and other non treatened species. does anyone know if they can be bought legaly in DR? If so where?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
setting up a private zoo, aren't you?

Don Juan said:
Emus, llamas,boa constrictors, parrots, and other non treatened species. does anyone know if they can be bought legaly in DR? If so where?

They can be 'bought' legally, however, they cannot be 'sold' legally...by the way, would you care for an iguana or two?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Yes I am...eventually.

Mirador said:
They can be 'bought' legally, however, they cannot be 'sold' legally...by the way, would you care for an iguana or two?

In a year or two, depending on so many variables, I'd like to purchase at least 500 tareas somewhere in el Cibao. would like to keep as many species as can be legally obtained.
How much for the iguanas? If reasonable, I'll send my brother to pick them up.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Don Juan said:
In a year or two, depending on so many variables, I'd like to purchase at least 500 tareas somewhere in el Cibao. would like to keep as many species as can be legally obtained.
How much for the iguanas? If reasonable, I'll send my brother to pick them up.

Here's an iguana my neighbors Gastao and Fucho tried to sell me the other day. Your brother can find them at the hamlet of Los Paniagua, about five kilometers before the town of Las Lomas de Azua.

my.php

cork

Aug 23, 2003
Birds...

Don Juan said:

Due to the avian flu, NO BIRDS of any type can be brought into DR.

I have been trying for 6 months to get a permit for our domesticated bird. The law is pretty black and white.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
cork said:
Due to the avian flu, NO BIRDS of any type can be brought into DR.

I have been trying for 6 months to get a permit for our domesticated bird. The law is pretty black and white.

Reminds me of the time my father, returning from Venezuela, brought with him a live turtle (jicotea). After about six months trying to obtain the requisite permits, he gave up. The argument was something to the effect that the turtle was a new species and its effect in the DR ecosystem was unpredictable. Almost two years later, over conversation, somebody mentioned that the custom guys at the AILA airport had a pet turtle in their offices. He knew at that moment that it was his turtle. So he started moving heaven and earth to get back his turtle. He even contacted the President. Making a long story short, my father got his turtle.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Don Juan said:

I have about ten Duck Billed Paltypi (plural of platypus?) that I have been trying to get rid of. I'll throw in a bottle of Mamajuana with each.

Don't even get me going about all the "Three Toed Sloths" in my guest room.

Scandall

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
The iguana shown in the picture is an endangered species...

...the request made was for non endangered species. By the way, is the "Cibao AZB" an endangered species? If not, can you have your brother pick him up too........?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Rara avis.

dms3611 said:
...the request made was for non endangered species. By the way, is the "Cibao AZB" an endangered species? If not, can you have your brother pick him up too........?

He's the only one of his kind left. He's protected under the endangered foreigners act just passed last September. Darn!

quisqueyanovaliente

Mar 15, 2006
i been wondering if i can take my pet parrot to dominican. but for what i see it is not possible. there are a lot of pet shop in dominican {santo domingo}

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
A lot of people here in the DR collect rabbits and breed them to either eat, sell to meat vendors, sell to hotels or just as pets. They are easy to obtain.

Rick

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
Rick,
Thanks for the quick reply. My purposes are for breeding to supplement a food/mission project I am about to start. Knowing that rabbits are readily available helps my efforts greatly!
Thanks again,

Jess :bunny:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I live here in the Eastern portion of the DR and it has been my experience of 9 years living here that not of a lot of Dominicans will eat rabbit. The majority of people that I have met and know that raise rabbits do so with the intention of selling them to the hotels or restaurants who use them in dinners for the foreigners and the elite. Because of this rabbit can get very expensive and is very profitable if you set up a buyer.

The reason a lot of Dominicans don't eat rabbit is due to cost and most of them tell me they don't like the taste which , IMHO, is psychological.

Rick

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
:surprised Very interesting and surprising. I am a huge fan of rabbit, but I've always been told I'm a bit strange. jajajajaja So chicken is the way to go if I want to do this project? Are they easy enough to come by as well?
If you don't mind me asking, what area in the east are you living? I ask because the area I am looking at is in the San Pedro area and could use any info that you would be willing to offer.

Jess

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I live about 50 kilometers east of San Pedro right between there and Higuey.

Chicken is the major meat staple here in the DR and this is due to its low price in comparison to 2nd pork, 3rd beef and 4th fish. They also eat a fair amount of goat but this meat is a bit expensive in comparison to the other meats. Chicken because of its desirability is readily and easily available.

Of all the meats rabbit would in fact be the cheapest of the animals to raise due to what is required to feed them but to use it as a staple to the average Dominican would require a lot of work in changing their mind set in acquiring a taste for it.

Chicken on the other hand is already in their culture plus you have the by product of eggs which is another staple food for the Dominicans.

Rick

I live in El Seybo

jessicalee_nv

Jul 1, 2004
Eggs are pretty much the worlds most perfect food. Thanks for all of your input. It will certainly help in my planning of this project. If you can think of any other pertinent info that may help, feel free to PM or email me at jessicalee_nv@yahoo.com

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Jess