Visa to the UK

AmandaLou

May 27, 2005
Please do not attack me, simple enough question,Can a Dominican get a holiday Visa to visit the UK for two weeks? If so how and any idea of the costs? No not a novio a friend that I've known for many years that I would love to be able to show my country to.

Thanks for any helpful advice.Amanda:bunny:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here is the website for your country. They are the ones that make the rules for giving out visas.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/F...t/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1006977149953

Handy site I'll have to save it. Here's the result.

Do I Need A UK Visa?

You asked if a national of Dominican Republic needs a visa to come to the UK as a visitor.

Yes, you need a visa.

Please read Guidance - Visitors for more information. Your sponsor, if you have one, may want to read Guidance - Sponsors.

To apply for a visa you will need to fill in formVAF1 - Non-settlement.

In most cases, eligible dependants will also need visas. Any dependants under 16 years old, included on your passport, can be included on the same form, but those older will need to complete separate forms.

If you are applying for a visit visa, or are a national of, or are normally and legally living in Dominican Republic, please make your application to Santo Domingo.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
AmandaLou said:
Please do not attack me, simple enough question,Can a Dominican get a holiday Visa to visit the UK for two weeks? If so how and any idea of the costs? No not a novio a friend that I've known for many years that I would love to be able to show my country to.

Thanks for any helpful advice.Amanda:bunny:

The odds are no. Rules and websites etc., notwithstanding, they won't give him or her a visa.

AmandaLou

May 27, 2005
Thanks so far.

Thanks Anna, very interesting link.

Rick, thats what I thought but do we know on what grounds the Dominicans cannot get visas?

Cheers Amandalou :bunny:

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
The same as any developed country - no reason to go back home is a danger sign to issue a visa - if the guy has a house, job, property , money in the bank etc., then they might. I suspect that's not the case. The UK has plenty of illegal immigrants, no? Thus they don't import them.

The sad part is that they don't even hint at the odds before the fee is to be paid (non-refundable fee of course), neither do we or the Americans.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
ricktoronto said:
The same as any developed country - no reason to go back home is a danger sign to issue a visa - if the guy has a house, job, property , money in the bank etc., then they might. I suspect that's not the case. The UK has plenty of illegal immigrants, no? Thus they don't import them.

The sad part is that they don't even hint at the odds before the fee is to be paid (non-refundable fee of course), neither do we or the Americans.

As far as I've read on forums like this it's certainly not always impossible to get a tourist visa to my country, The Netherlands, although it seems there's some paperwork involved, and the same might apply for other European countries. If you've got acces to one of the Schengen countries you've access to all of them anyway. The UK is not Schengen, but it's very possible that things there might be very different than in North America. A resident permit, now that's another matter.

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My understanding is that it is much easier to get a visa to the UK then to Canada Rick..... Canada is one of the most difficult from the DR.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Well she should get an appointment and then next year when they find out, let us know how well it went.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Still as ricktoronto says...No matter what, easier or not than to Canada, the one applying for a visitors visa, still needs to give proof of bankstatus, if they own houses, employment etc etc as proof they will return.
This is not easy, as most of the people, cannot do this.
And what by Dominican means would be considered much, is not alot in European means as well.
For instance, a guy here in Puerto Plata, who actually might have had just an interest to travel, had 181.000 pesos at an account. This is a large sum here to save for a local. For the consulate this is nada and not considered a reason for the person applying for a visa going back.

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
a Tourist Visa for the UK is much easier to obtain for a Dominican Than one for The USA or Canada....
If Your friend can prove strong ties to the DR..has a good job,a Home,Savings..that increases their chance of getting a Visa.Sometimes aswell doing something organized like a Tour group thing usually helps alot...
Think positive and you never know what might happen..life is full of surprises
Best of luck

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
The bottom line is she has to try it instead of spending weeks here wondering about it and not get any hopes up.

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
ricktoronto said:
The bottom line is she has to try it instead of spending weeks here wondering about it and not get any hopes up.

yes, agreed, but neither is she helped by people implying it's not worth the effort by auto-replying "the odds are no, they won't give him one" based on Canadian experiences.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
The odds are nil and we all know that, but she'll try anyway and then probably not tell us when they decline it. The UK immigration people are no dopes.