Divorce Papers in DR. Where to locate.

mikeyone

Apr 16, 2003
Friends in Canada, Canadians, married in Canada. One travelled to Santo Domingo and obtained a divorce with or without consent of the other , I dont know. However one now needs to obtain documents of the divorce. Does anyone know where to go or the proceedure involved. Mr. Guzman, any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Wouldn't it be incumbent on the person who did this (and must have forged the consent from the other as that is a requirement)to prove the divorce is legit vs. the person who thinks not proving it isn't?

You may want to hire Mr. Guzman to dredge this stuff up. Good luck.

L

LarrySpencer

Well, first of all, the divorcee certainly must have received a copy of something that states that they are now divorced, rather than just taking someone's word for it. I for one, if I wanted a quickee divorce, I certainly would want the one I was divorcing to knwo that it had at least happened, otherwise it's as good as a woman saying, "I'm on the pill."

If she (or he, but probably not) did receive these forms, the will be a date or at least a stamp showing exactly where they were filed. Follow the paper trail. If there were no papers filed, and the divorcee never did formally consent, chances are pretty good that she is still just as married as their wedding day. My advice, go down to your local courthouse and file for yourself, because if you didn't sign in the first place, and you want a divorce, go ahead and do it now and put down everything that you want!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
A good while ago, I witnessed a lawyer handing out divorce decrees like he was dealing cards. Every person there had filed for a "quickie" and they received a large manila envelope with their decrees inside.

No paper, no divorce would be my guess.

BTW, they all went away happy...

HB :D:D:D