Moving to Dominican.Any advice?

Maria_bella

Oct 18, 2005
Hi, everyone, my name is maria and i have been to the Dominican Republic many times, and now im looking to re-locate there and find a job.Im interested in Santo Domingo, or around there and just wanted to know if anyones from there and if u have any advice. That would be very helpful. I'm considering either teaching english, or being a greeter/rep for a hotel, maybe with a company based in Canada if i can , and maybe operate with the DR directly, i dont know yet, what do u think, I know fluent english, but only basic spanish, to get around, but i heard there are agencies looking for english speakers as well, so if u know any or can help out with any advice,that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot. Maria.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
As a teacher who frequents many job boards and information boards for my profession, my advice to you is to write your posts as clearly and correctly as possible, especially if you would like to teach English. While slang is often used in message boards, you never know when a prospective employer is reading! Having said that, there were quite a few posts on teaching positions available in Santo Domingo. I believe Naufrago was the contact. Do a search!

Mainegirl

ps. The only people who call it the Dominican are sportswriters and tourists. If you want to sound "in the know" refer to it as the DR, the Dominican Republic, DomRep, or Quisqueya.

Good luck.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Please do a search on this messageboard, there are tons of information about work, lack of work, tourism work etc etc.
Basically, if you are looking for work as a tour rep, then you are at the wrong place, as those are hired in resp. country by the resp. company.

Teaching, would depend on if you want to teach English classes or be a teacher at an English school. The latter requires diploma and a degree as a teacher, and best time to look for available positions for the upcoming school year is from May and forth.
Teach classes, like evening school etc, is another thing and might be possible. Those kind of jobs are often not advertized though, as many others as well, you need to be here, create a network and take it from there.
Here most is mouth to mouth...