Coal Fired Power Plant in Manzanillo

koalabyte

Oct 22, 2005
Hi All,

I am an Aussie looking for some info on the coal fired power plant in Manzanillo. Does anyone know the name of the company operating it? How I can contact them? Or the management? I would be much obliged.

Regards, Bruce

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
koalabyte said:
Hi All,

I am an Aussie looking for some info on the coal fired power plant in Manzanillo. Does anyone know the name of the company operating it? How I can contact them? Or the management? I would be much obliged.

Regards, Bruce

No 'coal fired power plant' in Manzanillo. However, there is a rumor (local press) that there's a tender out for one (actually for two, the other for Azua, but the residents of Azua have spoken: "...over their dead bodies").

Regards, Mirador

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
This will be several years down the line. The newspapers ( or the freakin' gov't) can't make up their minds as to whether this is two 300 megawatt facilities or 2 600 megawatt facilities.
Either way, there are supposedly Arab interests???-can't imagine why, since thesse are supposed to be coal fired.
Anyway part of the deal will be that the coal will come from Colombia (That hurts, me bein' a Mountaineer from WVa)...with lots of detail left to be worked out yet.

I don't think the people of Azua will get much of a vote in this project. The site chosen is out of the way, not in a "tourist area" and anyway, 300 or 600 MW in that area will guarantee no blackouts--if they pay for it.

Costs are supposed to be 1.8¢ per kwh vs 10¢ a kwh they are paying Smith Enron or Cogentrix and maybe Monte Río (?) the big BUT in this is that the government-according to the papers- will supply the coal (And thus assuring that there will be huge rakeoffs for whoever is handling the purchasing of the coal)...Yeah, I know, it sucks!

HB :ermm:

koalabyte

Oct 22, 2005
Thanks Hillbilly and Mirador, much appreciated. I work for one of the UAE Sheiks so there might be truth to those rumours. Apparently one of the crown princes is interested in diversifying his investments. My quest will be to track him down. thanks for the heads up. Good Luck... Bruce

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
koalabyte said:
Thanks Hillbilly and Mirador, much appreciated. I work for one of the UAE Sheiks so there might be truth to those rumours. Apparently one of the crown princes is interested in diversifying his investments. My quest will be to track him down. thanks for the heads up. Good Luck... Bruce

Placer Dome plans to install a 140 megawatt coal fueled power plant in Azua to support their gold mining operations in Cotui. Although both projects have government approval, there's enough strong opposition from environmental and local community groups to derail the venture.

gringito

Feb 21, 2005
Contact Me

Bruce,

I am the managing partner of the only company that has a legal concession to construct a solid fuel power plant in Manzanillo. We plan to start construction in February or March on a 300 MW CFB plant. PM me with your questions.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And you don't know Spanish: That should be Gringuito...

Anyway, I am wondering because I have not seen anything about a concession being given out to anyone on that point. There was a lot of talk about some Arabian interests--from one of the emirates, I think...and the news covered the approval of the plant in Azua and the later start up of the one in Manzanillo.

Can you clear this up??

HB :D:D The Curious