Forced to quit property - Compensation?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
A family who I am familiar with has occupied a house on a small parcel of land within a much larger property. They have been settled there for ten years, growing food for their own use and tending the owner?s livestock for the opportunity to be there. They have informed me the land is now in dispute. The owner cannot produce a title and the government may seize the land. It has much potential to be developed as it is in the center of the Punta Cana tourist zone. They are very concerned they may be removed from the property by the owner or the government. They want to know if there is any legal compensation available to them if they are forced to leave the property. They believe, right or wrong; the owner or the government has to provide new housing for them if they are forced to quit the property.

Please advise.

Regards,
PJT

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
PJT said:
They have been settled there for ten years, growing food for their own use and tending the owner’s livestock for the opportunity to be there.
They seem to be de facto tenants. They weren't squatters, they lived there with the knowledge of the owner (or at least he presented himself as the owner) and paid rent by way of service. If the government takes over I wouldn't give your friend much chance to prevent eviction or compensation as a tenant.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Why should they be compensated anything? Every body wants something for nothing. I am so tired of this atitude.