suggestions in around Santo domingo

Sep 19, 2005
hello, On my next trip over thanksgiving, I will be taking my girlfriend to Hiquey, via santo domingo, and possibly a Bahibe beach. I have to meet a guy in the capitol to buy a computer, and was thinking of staying a night or two, there because I havent spent much time in the capitol. Plus it cuts down on the travel in one day for the trip to Hiquey. Any suggestions?. I like dancing, and music for sure, during the day, if there is an old shopping district, or something that should be seen if given the chance, Id like to know about it. I may then spend a day or two on the beach in the Bayhibe area.......either before or after the Hiquey visit. so the travel is broken both ways...open to serious suggestions. Thanks...bob

JHT

Mar 30, 2004
Hello Bob,

While in Santo Domingo the main shopping district is the EL Conde a walkway through the center of the Colonial Zone. A good hotel located at the end of El Conde is the Hodelpa Casribe Colonial. Rooms include great buffet breakfast every morning and run about $70 USD to $80 USD a night. Wonderfully decorated in a Miami Beach Art Deco style, well appointed rooms, bar and restaurant in Lobby and very clean. Very close to everything in the Colonial Zone and most importantly in a very safe neighborhood where all of the foreign embassies are located (like Trinidad and Tobago, and many other Embassies). Lots of Police in the area as they have walking Policia Nacional and the Tourist Police watching for tourists so that nothing bad will happen.
Wonderful staff and service at this hotel. Within walking distance of most everything you would want to see in the Colonial Zone.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Here are three restaurants in Santo Domingo that I recommend. :)

El Conuco, Sabor Criollo
Address: Casimiro de Moya No.152, Gazcue
City: Santo Domingo , Province: Distrito Nacional
Phone: (1-809) 686-0129
Fax: (1-809) 221-3231

Meson La Quintana

Calle La Atarazana No. 13
Zona Colonial
Tel: 809-687-2646
Santo Domingo, Rep. Dom.

Meson de La Cava is built inside a cave 50 feet below the surface.
Located at Avenida Mirador del Sur; (809) 533-2818.

May 31, 2005
Potato_Salad said:
Here are three restaurants in Santo Domingo that I recommend. :)

El Conuco, Sabor Criollo
Address: Casimiro de Moya No.152, Gazcue
City: Santo Domingo , Province: Distrito Nacional
Phone: (1-809) 686-0129
Fax: (1-809) 221-3231

Meson La Quintana

Calle La Atarazana No. 13
Zona Colonial
Tel: 809-687-2646
Santo Domingo, Rep. Dom.

Meson de La Cava is built inside a cave 50 feet below the surface.
Located at Avenida Mirador del Sur; (809) 533-2818.
At El Conuco they have these great bachata dancers that dance on top of a bottle. It's really neat.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Dragonfly32837 said:
At El Conuco they have these great bachata dancers that dance on top of a bottle. It's really neat.

I agree with you. :)

And the food is fantastic!!!

I think the buffet cost 600 peso per person (drinks are not included).
It is a bit costly, but the food is well worth it!