When is Carnival in Santo Domingo in 2006?

JHT

Mar 30, 2004
Can someone please tell me the dates for carnival in Santo Domingo for 2006?
I would like to visit and experience "Carnival Dominican Style"!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
If you want to experience Carnaval Dominican style, Santo Domingo is not the best bet. La vega is the biggest and most popular Carnaval. Bonao is trying hard to compete. Santo Domingo does have a parade that is usually the first sunday in March and features carnavl groups from all over the country.

I went this year to Bonao, La Vega, Santiago and Santo Domingo parade. I shot video at all of them but in Santiago I only went to a concert they had at night.

<a href="http://www.dr-tourist.tv/pages/carnaval.html"><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">DR Carnaval Videos</font></a>

In La Vega and Bonao there is Carnaval pretty much every sunday in february. In santo domingo they also have a military parade during Carnaval as 27th of february is also independence day in the Dominican Republic. That parade is beyond boring. . . . lol. . . .they roll out every military vehicle they have down to motorcycles etc. . . . . .yawn. . . . .LOL

The parade in santo domingo was crazy. It seemed that evry single person was trying to bump into me, stand in front of the camera, move in whatever direction I moved to try and shoot around them and many actually would stick their hands in front of the lense! It is a wonder I got any footage. After a bunch of getting shoved and pushed and whacked on the butt, I had enough of Carnaval. . . . .for this year at least. I will be back next year I am sure.

I still want to make it to Monte Cristi for their Carnaval and the bullwhip fights. The problem is Monte Cristi is sort of out of the way and not any hotel options. I will also try and see what Santiago Carnaval is like during the day. Maybe I can shoot some of the mask makers creating the masks etc.

I am sure I will windup In La Vega as it is the Carnaval to see in the DR and I sort of dug Bonao. I wish I could be in more places at once!