Espaillat?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
sharon295 said:
Does anyone have a photograph of Arturo R. Espaillat they can share? Sharon

Is he the one who El Jefe (Generalisimo Rafael Leonidas Trujillo Molina) called affectionately 'Navajita' (Jackknife), the notorious henchman known for his sadistic predisposition to cut people's throat?

sharon295

Mar 11, 2005
Yes. It comes down to translation I guess. Jack-knife, the razorblade, one definitely gets the idea. He was a West Point graduate from 1943 and was Consul General in New York for a time. He died in 1967.

Sharon

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
sharon295 said:
Yes. It comes down to translation I guess. Jack-knife, the razorblade, one definitely gets the idea. He was a West Point graduate from 1943 and was Consul General in New York for a time. He died in 1967.
Sharon

Are you researching the Galindez-Murphy case? the failed 'Trujillo-Castro Axis' supposedly brokered by Arturo Espaillat that turned out to be the death knell for Trujillo's regime?

I'm sure you can find the photograph you need from the Archivo General de la Naci?n (National Archives), surely in some of the period editions of El Caribe newspaper...

sharon295

Mar 11, 2005
Thanks Mirador.

I will check that out. Yes, I am researching the Galindez case amongst others. I am of the belief that Espaillat was a significant figure who history has overlooked somewhat.

There are some interesting connections he had to Canada including elements of organized crime and to Louis Bloomfield. I have even come across the possibility (unconfirmed) that Espaillat was in Dallas on the 22nd of November, 1963.

His relationship to a shady American is also of great interest. These guys were involved in the attempted overthrow of Papa Doc in Haiti during the early 1960's.

Certainly a curious individual.

Sharon