Did Metaldom have leak?

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
We woke up this morning to the most awful smell throughout the apartment. I was worried it was a leak in our place only but it is everywhere. There is a rumor going around at work today that it is a big leak at Metaldom. Everyone, no matter what part of town they live in seems to be effected. Does anyone have any solid news?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
expatsooner said:
We woke up this morning to the most awful smell throughout the apartment. I was worried it was a leak in our place only but it is everywhere. There is a rumor going around at work today that it is a big leak at Metaldom. Everyone, no matter what part of town they live in seems to be effected. Does anyone have any solid news?

Nothing to worry about, regular maintenance of lpg tanks in Haina...

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
Nothing to worry about?.....

After dozens of school children and teachers were taken to emergency rooms with respiratory distress and other serious symptoms, the 'authorities' have confessed that it's just business as usual; this is how they allegedly do maintenance by letting expensive liquified gas go out into the environment and practically engulf all of Santo Domingo....give us a break!

I doubt we will ever know what really happened but this is just one of the
negatives of living in this 'paradise'.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
Not to worry?

I fear that one day there will be a major chemical mishap in Santo Domingo and many will die. This has already happened in other areas like in Bhopal, India where all of the sudden invisible fumes from a nearby chemical plant killed thousands of people and permanently disabled thousands more. God help us all. :cry:

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Methyl Mercaptan is considered a toxic chemical by the US EPA. However, it is not such an irritant since on August 1994 the US government placed a stay on this chemical so industry were no longer required to report large emissions (10K -25K lbs or more) of this chemical.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I have to laugh at the mention that the cause was due to regular maintenance if the report in todays DR1 news is to be believed. Last time it was cleaned was 30 years ago?

Rick

May 31, 2005
I heard that the general manager of the Refineria was fired for not taking care of the situation like he should have and for lying to the country.