Nearest BusStation to Santiago airport?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
Which is the nearest Bus Station to Santiago airport that has buses to Santo domingo?and how long does the ride usually take?
Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours has the most buses to SD; one leaves hourly. To SD from Santiago is about 2.5 hours

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rocky said:
It may be better to go to La Vega and catch the Caribe Tour bus there.

The only problem, Rocky, is that he may have to wait in La Vega for a bus that has room. There are almost always seats on the next bus in Santiago, especially at the main terminal, but in La Vega you wait for a bus that has room for you.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ken said:
The only problem, Rocky, is that he may have to wait in La Vega for a bus that has room. There are almost always seats on the next bus in Santiago, especially at the main terminal, but in La Vega you wait for a bus that has room for you.
Good point, Ken.
I didn't think of that.
I've been spoiled too long with my own wheels.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Also if the OP goes to caribe tours in santiago. The one closer to the airport, there is also metro station right down the block so you have twice as much chance of getting on a bus.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
rafael said:
Also if the OP goes to caribe tours in santiago. The one closer to the airport, there is also metro station right down the block so you have twice as much chance of getting on a bus.

Since you want a bus that will take you to Santo Domingo, I recommend that you go to the main terminal of Caribe Tours in Santiago because that is where the buses going from Santiago to Santo Domingo have the maximum number of empty seats because that is where most passengers board and dismount. If you were going to Sosua or Puerto Plata, for example, chances are good of getting a seat and the other stop in Santiago, but to go to Santo Domingo, I recommend the main terminal.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Take a taxi to Calle Maimon in Santiago. On one corner you have Metro Bus, they have buses leaving every hour for Santo Domingo
2) On the other corner, you have Caribe Tours, And, yes, they have buses leaving from their station every hour, too.
3) The reason for going here is that you leave straight to Santo Domingo and from the main CAribe Tour terminal you will have to get on the bus, travel for 20 minutes across town to the Maimon St. terminal, and then wait for the people to get on and then go to Sto Dgo.
4) The trip to Santo Domingo is 1.5 hours long...

Two question:
a) What time do you arrive?
b) Where are you going in Santo Domingo

Question "a" will let me tell you what time your buses leave--assuming a decent amount of time from arrival-immigration and customs + taxi to the station. And also let us know if it is a peak hour when seats might be hard to come by.
Question "B' will let us check which bus line is perhaps a bit better suited for you, since one is closer to downtown Sto Dgo and the other is closer to some of the hotels..

HB :D:D:D

Last edited:

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Ken said:
Since you want a bus that will take you to Santo Domingo, I recommend that you go to the main terminal of Caribe Tours in Santiago because that is where the buses going from Santiago to Santo Domingo have the maximum number of empty seats because that is where most passengers board and dismount. If you were going to Sosua or Puerto Plata, for example, chances are good of getting a seat and the other stop in Santiago, but to go to Santo Domingo, I recommend the main terminal.

Good points. If I am traveling solo I go to the caribe tours station that I am closest to. If I am traveling with someone else, and we would want to sit together I follow your idea of going to the first stop.

It has been rare that I find no seats available at all. One time heading from SDQ to STI I did have to wait 1.5 hours but that was a holiday weekend and I was traveling with 2 others.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
As someone who frequently goes to Santo Domingo by Caribe Tours bus, passing through Santiago enroute, of the two stations that Caribe Tours has in Santiago, I think the main terminal is the better choice if you are making the trip on that company's bus.

But the proximity of Metro to the other terminal is significant, so for that reason it probably doesn't make much difference which Caribe Terminal you go to since you will probably get one company's bus or the other. But if it is peak time, then you should check Metro first because Caribe Tours will likely have filled up at the main terminal.

Additionally, I should clarify that the ride from the main terminal to the other does not take 20 minutes, and unlike the main terminal where the buses passing through make a rest stop for snacks and bathroom use, loading at the other terminal is a matter of a couple of minutes.

Rafael is correct about when traveling with another person that you want to sit with. I don't know anything about Metro in Santiago, but I do know that by the time the Caribe Tours bus gets to the Maimon stop that there is zero chance of getting 2 seats together.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am betting that you can--maybe two aisle seats across from each other.....And if you ask, a lot of people will move so you can be with your significant "other" :p. Lots of "caballeros" in Santiago.....

But let's see if the OP answers "a" and "b" so we can pinpoint his options...

HB :D DOWN WITH THE SMILIE RULE!!!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly said:
And if you ask, a lot of people will move so you can be with your significant "other" Lots of "caballeros" in Santiago.....

[/B]

HB, I'm sure you could, being such a distinguished looking gentlemen. But most readers of this board don't have your regal bearing, and probably wouldn't feel comfortable asking those Santiago caballeros to move. Besides, the first passenger they ask to move may be from Puerto Plata or Sosua, and we are not known for our charm. ;)