the real price of gold mining in the DR

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The production of one ounce of gold creates up to 30 tons of toxic waste. To produce that single ounce, miners have to quarry hundreds of tons of rock, which are then doused in a liquid cyanide solution to separate the gold. At the root of the environmental problem is the industry's reliance on old mining technology called "heap-leaching". Leach mining allows miners to coax tiny flecks of gold from low-grade ore. Cyanide is the chemical of choice and more than 90 per cent of the 2,500 tons of annual global gold production is extracted in this way. In a typical heap-leach operation, huge quantities of rock are crushed and stacked on top of clay and plastic liners to create piles the size of pyramids, which are then drizzled with the cyanide solution for years. As the chemical passes through the rock layers, it teases the gold out of the ore, where it is collected at the bottom and processed further. Cyanide is a toxic chemical - one teaspoon of 2 per cent cyanide solution is enough to kill a human being. This dangerous chemical is used in gold extraction operations from Peru to Ghana. And it has left a toxic legacy in its wake. The cyanide waste produced from gold mining is stored in reservoirs. Spills from these lakes have made their way into water systems with fatal consequences for the environment, wildlife and local communities.
With the best ore already mined in most developed countries, the industry is turning to the poorest countries in the world. Up to 70 per cent of gold is mined in developing countries such as Peru and the Philippines. Vast tracts of the developing world are being laid to waste, leaving a multibillion-pound toxic time-bomb. Environment agencies in the US have described disused heavy metal mines as an equivalent to nuclear waste dumps, which must be secured and maintained for the foreseeable future. America's Environmental Protection Agency estimates that the costs associated with the clean-up of metal mines could rise to $58bn, according to The New York Times.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Robert said:
Can you relate this specifically to the local mines. What methods are they using?

Placer Dome, notwithstanding strong militant opposition from environmental organizations and local community groups, plans to go ahead with gold mining operations in Pueblo Viejo, Cotui, using open pit mining with conventional equipment including CIL cyanide leach extraction. Although Placer Dome has obtained appropriate official authorizations, analysts in the field doubt the DR goverment will provide continuing support for the project considering the potential for political unrest for the forthcoming 2006 electoral process. In addition, political parties are including in their platforms stringent environmental protection policies, including prohibitions on open pit mining and use of heavy metal contaminants such as cyanide.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
The cyanide solutions are very dilute and after use decay rapidly, becoming harmless. The tailings dams containing the treated mine material are surrounded by coarser material, produced by cyclones. If these dams are properly designed and maintained, there is no hazard, even with torrential tropical rain. The tailings can be seeded to provide permanent stability which is evironmentally beneficial. Canadian Bob

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
canadian bob said:
The cyanide solutions are very dilute and after use decay rapidly, becoming harmless. The tailings dams containing the treated mine material are surrounded by coarser material, produced by cyclones. If these dams are properly designed and maintained, there is no hazard, even with torrential tropical rain. The tailings can be seeded to provide permanent stability which is evironmentally beneficial. Canadian Bob

What you are saying is way off mark, especially when most countries in the world are banning open-pit cyanide leaching gold and silver mining. The Placer Dome project in the DR is not only highly destructive of the environment, but is also an affront to human rights. The DR is worth more than gold. Our Ad Hoc Committee is currently seeking the participation of MiningWatch Canada to stop Placer Dome's Pueblo Viejo project.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
canadian bob said:

I couldn't find anything in favor of this method.
Can you tell me your sources or point me in the right direction to look for info?

Thanks.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
canadian bob said:
If these dams are properly designed and maintained,
A big "if" in the Dominican context! :tired:

If the cynaide process in gold mining were so harmless and easily managed, there would not be so many environmental horror stories involving it, movement in several US states to ban it, and an international code of conduct developed by industry to address the environmental and health concerns. :ermm: I'm not saying it cannot be properly managed; just that the global track record for it so far is hardly exemplary...

For what it's worth (and I'm not sure what it's worth), Placer Dome is one of the six signatory companies (AngloGold Ashanti Ltd, Barrick Gold Corporation, Kinross Gold Company, Newmont Mining Corporation, Placer Dome Inc, Rio Tinto, CyPlus, DuPont, Orica) to the International Cyanide Management Code negotiated with the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and several nongovernmental organizations (NGOs). Although the Code is technically voluntary, the International Cyanide Mangement Institute (ICMI) set up as a result of the Code has prepared follow-up standards of practice and protocols for implementation, auditing and certification that may make it an effective tool...

http://www.cyanidecode.org/thecode/index.html

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
How responsible, both socially and to the environment, have they been in those countries?

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Cyanyde itself

I don't know about the ming process with cyanyde use. I may be out of line.

I manufactured fine jewelry for over thrirty years. In manufacturing there are time when cyanyde was used to clean the cast gold pieces or separate the filings for refining. I had special vents made of fiberglass, and 5 hp fans attached to ventilate that area specifically. Let me tell you, the littlest bit used could be smelled throughoout the area. One could taste the noxius fumes inside or outside the building. Readin these comments brings the taste and smells back to me. I can show you burns from when it splashed on my skin.....no you don't want that on a beautiful island like this.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Robert said:
I couldn't find anything in favor of this method.
Can you tell me your sources or point me in the right direction to look for info?

Thanks.

Hi Robert, The International cyanide management code for the gold mining industry as described together with other pertinent facts in www.cyanidecode.org/library/cn ,which summmarizes the basic facts.
There have been environmental tragedies from bursting of improperly constructed and maintained tailings dams.
Of course overseeing of environmental regulations is required, but preventing mining the islands natural resources is unthinkable, considering the benefits.
Canadian Bob.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
It is highly unlikely that "heap leaching" has even been contemplated, as the gold is extremely fine grained and the ore would have to be pulverized in mills under very controlled conditions to effect economic recovery of the gold. Canadian Bob.