pelo wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

concon_quemao

Oct 28, 2005
lostinthemetro.blogspot.com
recently cut all of my hair off, really short so i could grow my hair out naturally, no derizado. it was personal decision, no political or racial undertones associated with the decision.) when i announced plans to do this, many dominicans i know said, "dont cut your hair like a morena." but chemically damaging your hair and having it bone straight is dominican (btw, yaj, your hair always looks fabulous this way?) we are a people of african and european blood, so what are we supposed to look like? and .. why is it so bad to look like a "morena?" this is a very loaded discussion topic.. I know. but it will be interesting to read the responses! holla!

A.J.

Jan 2, 2002
There are so many beautiful dominican women in the Capital, Moca and Santiago and New York with their hair cut short. It really shows off the true beauty of their faces. I always think it is funny when you have a woman with really really long hair but damn ugly - and bc of her hair people find her beautiful.

Congrats to you for cutting your hair.

While Studying at PUCMM - there was a girl from North Carolina who cut off her hair from down her back, but dried out from all the processes to right to her scalp - hers was statement - but it looked so much better on her.

If White women can perm and color their hair and tan and it is not seen as a political movement. Why can't a woman who is asian, african, middle eastern or latina do the same just because they want and they like the look and it is not a "statement" and in this case cut their hair off.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
"morena" is never having to buy CopperTone and....

concon_quemao said:
recently cut all of my hair off, really short so i could grow my hair out naturally, no derizado. it was personal decision, no political or racial undertones associated with the decision.) when i announced plans to do this, many dominicans i know said, "dont cut your hair like a morena." but chemically damaging your hair and having it bone straight is dominican (btw, yaj, your hair always looks fabulous this way?) we are a people of african and european blood, so what are we supposed to look like? and .. why is it so bad to look like a "morena?" this is a very loaded discussion topic.. I know. but it will be interesting to read the responses! holla!

..........No more bad-hair-days for you!
(I mean it in the nicest way possible)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I commend you concon. Many Dominicanas don't have that courage. Dominicans, as I always say, know how to work hair because we know how to surpress our blackness. Around here salons openly advertise having Dominican hairstylists! I know that I will raise my children differently. They will embrace what ever hair type they are born with, naturally.

D

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
...Dominicans, as I always say, know how to work hair because we know how to surpress out blackness. QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with "blackness", or even "whiteness". Dominican woman merely want to express their "indianness (tainoness)", and the source of this compulsion is the atavistic memory of having long straight black hair.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
...Dominicans, as I always say, know how to work hair because we know how to surpress out blackness. QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with "blackness", or even "whiteness". Dominican woman merely want to express their "indianness (tainoness)", and the source of this compulsion is the atavistic memory of when their ancestors all had long straight black hair.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Mirador said:

It has nothing to do with "blackness", or even "whiteness". Dominican woman merely want to express their "indianness (tainoness)", and the source of this compulsion is the atavistic memory of when their ancestors all had long straight black hair.

Sorry Mirador but I can't agree with that one. It IS about whiteness and blackness. I have taught upwards of about 200 different high school aged kids in this country and have NEVER heard any of them mention ANYTHING about wanting to be Taino. But the list of comments and discussions I have overheard would support the OP's statement about race.

Scandall

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
concon_quemao said:
Dominican women follow what they see on TV and conceive it as beautiful, they watch their novelas and gauge their beauty from what they watch. Men want their women with long hair, so that is the image women will see in the media as beauty. Also, when a woman cuts her hair, men will see it as a sign of defiance. During the american women's "LIB" period, women burned their bras and also cut their hair.

You shouldn't take advice from women in third-world countries, who should be more concerned in opening a battered women clinic than a beauty salon.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Scandall said:
Mirador said:
Sorry Mirador but I can't agree with that one. It IS about whiteness and blackness. I have taught upwards of about 200 different high school aged kids in this country and have NEVER heard any of them mention ANYTHING about wanting to be Taino. But the list of comments and discussions I have overheard would support the OP's statement about race. Scandall

Scandall, you may have a Phd in diplomacy but you know nothing of genetics. I insist, the Dominican women's compulsion for long straight black hair derives from an unconscious expression of an atavistic inherited trait (please see below definition). To exhibit behavior of your remote Taino ancestors, you don't have to be necessarily aware of it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/wordoftheday/archive/2005/04/22.html

atavism \AT-uh-viz-uhm\, noun:
1. The reappearance in an organism of characteristics of some remote ancestor after several generations of absence.
2. One that exhibits atavism; a throwback.
3. Reversion to an earlier behavior, outlook, or approach.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
nonsense

Mirador said:
Scandall said:
Scandall, you may have a Phd in diplomacy but you know nothing of genetics. I insist, the Dominican women's compulsion for long straight black hair derives from an unconscious expression of an atavistic inherited trait (please see below definition). To exhibit behavior of your remote Taino ancestors, you don't have to be necessarily aware of it.

1. The reappearance in an organism of characteristics of some remote ancestor after several generations of absence.
What about the black dominicans or the Haitians who probably does not have any Taino genes in them???
Most women want long hair, asian, blacks, etcc....

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Ricardo900 said:
Mirador said:
What about the black dominicans or the Haitians who probably does not have any Taino genes in them???
Most women want long hair, asian, blacks, etcc....

Q.: What about the black dominicans or the Haitians who probably does not have any Taino genes in them???

A.: These are probably imitators, they go with the pack.

Q.: Most women want long hair, asian, blacks, etcc...

A.: Very true, but Dominican woman don't just WANT long hair, they seek it COMPULSIVELY. If Dominican women stopped straightening their hair, hair salons would go out of business, and black outs, energy deficits would be a thing of the past. Currently, hair blowers and electrical combs are consuming almost half of the electric energy output of the DR.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Yeah I am sure Mirador would know as he is a Dominican female.

Wait, Mirador, are you a female?

Are you even Dominican??

Mirador, I am sure that Scandall teaching and hearing the comments of over 200 Dominican school children has more insight on the subject than you do. Aside from that, why dont you allow people who would have an idea (ex. Dominican women) answer the question instead of coming up with your off the wall assertions that are so strange that nobody can rebuke them?

Larry

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Mirador said:
Ricardo900 said:
A.: Very true, but Dominican woman don't just WANT long hair, they seek it COMPULSIVELY. If Dominican women stopped straightening their hair, hair salons would go out of business, and black outs, energy deficits would be a thing of the past. Currently, hair blowers and electrical combs are consuming almost half of the electric energy output of the DR.

So this is why Dominican women want straight hair?

More nonsense.

Larry

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Larry said:
Mirador said:
So this is why Dominican women want straight hair?

More nonsense.

Larry

NO!!

But I am enjoying the answers.

a black Dominican who chooses to relax. Why? you may ask becuase I LIKE IT!! Just like I like wearing jeans and the color green. Does that mean I deny being black nonsense. Next issue will be why Dominicanas bathe.

I will answer that when the time comes :tired:

How many of you guys that posted are actually Black Dominicanas?
Its a matter of persnal choice. Those that want natural by all means go ahead but do not condem those that choose not to go "natural".

"donde terminan mis derechos comienzan los ajenos" words to live by

Lina

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
As a self proclaimed black dominicana I have no such subconscious expression of atavistic inherited traits to have my hair compulsively in one particular style. Sorry. I do not. If you have read any of my postings on this issue I think the Taino agenda is more romantic than reality. I am proud of my negritude. I see natural beauty in all its manifestations as beautiful. I hate the language used to describe all things black. I believe it indoctinates a culture of self hatred, hence a crumbling of the social fabric of Dominican family and society. This is what Scandall rightly interpreted when he overheard these conversations.

Mirador, what I do think is funny (hilarious, even) though is that you think real economic development/growth of DR is in the hands of a blow dryin' hairdresser and not in the creation of a formidable power grid and alternative energy sources.

Let's pass new legislation AIR DRY YOUR ROLOS FOR PROGRESS! ROLOS AL AIRE LIBRE LIBERARA EL PAIS!

I am rolling....I needed that laugh.

Mirador said:
Scandall said:

concon_quemao

Oct 28, 2005
Mirador said:

i do not believe they are subconsciously trying to have hair like their arawak ancestors for most dominicans have very little to none of this blood still in them. if anything, they may be trying to look european because of years of conditioning and colonization. what "indian" in history do you know has a farah fawcett flip like charlies angels?

Last edited:

concon_quemao

Oct 28, 2005
linamia said:
How many of you guys that posted are actually Black Dominicanas?
Its a matter of persnal choice. Those that want natural by all means go ahead but do not condem those that choose not to go "natural".

"donde terminan mis derechos comienzan los ajenos" words to live by

Lina

i do believe it is a choice, a personal choice. but i think we are trying to get at why nappy hair is frowned upon in dominican culture.

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
concon_quemao said:
i do believe it is a choice, a personal choice. but i think we are trying to get at why nappy hair is frowned upon in dominican culture.

That question may be answered best by the people who do the frowning. any frowners on the forum? ;)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
concon_quemao said:
but i think we are trying to get at why nappy hair is frowned upon in dominican culture.

There it is. Spot on and it only took you one sentence. For whatever reason that is the truth.

Scandall

EDITED TO INCLUDE: And back to Mirador...I don;t think there is enough Taino blood left in the DR to fill a shot glass. So I guess neither of us are experts in Genetics.

Last edited:

concon_quemao

Oct 28, 2005
thanks scandall, i didnt want to put it out there blatantly.. but you caught it right off the back!

Scandall said:
There it is. Spot on and it only took you one sentence. For whatever reason that is the truth.

Scandall

EDITED TO INCLUDE: And back to Mirador...I don;t think there is enough Taino blood left in the DR to fill a shot glass. So I guess neither of us are experts in Genetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.