Gays in DR

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
Hi
Anyone not straight here and dating in the DR?

Have your experiences been similar to the straight community, and how are is the gay dating scene there?

I'm not interested in sex tourism but rather in knowing about relationships with local guys.

Gracias.

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
wildnfree said:
Hi
Anyone not straight here and dating in the DR?

Have your experiences been similar to the straight community...

Gracias.

umm with such homophobic "macho" men in our culture I highly doubt that gay people date as freely as straight people do, but I could be wrong...anybody brave enough to tell us their experience about being gay in the DR...inquiring minds want to know.

Yari

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think like any other relationship you need to live there and speak the language if you are interested in more than sex tourism.

I've read here on DR1 that Santo Domingo is a better place to search. They have the cubs etc.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I stayed for a few days in Santo Domingo and got a peripheral view of the scene. I stayed in The Hotel Duque De Wellington. In my Lonely Planet guide to the DR, this place was written up as being gay-friendly. Now this did'nt matter to me-I just wanted a hotel that was close to the Malecon and the Colonial Zone, and the price was right, but it was more of a male tourist meat market than anything else.

I noticed this as soon as I walked through the lobby. Nothing but guys hanging around. An hour after I checked in my girlfriend arrived and everyone sitting in the lobby sat silent and just stared, just like they did when I initially walked in. It made me feel a little uncomfortable but I just shrugged it off and went about my business.

There is a small area in front of the hotel for parking, and guests take chairs out and sit there watching people go by during the day. This is when I realized what was going on. Young dominican guys(some seemed underaged) pass by and sit in front of the hotel trying to pick up turistas. They come and go at all hours of the day and night. From what I noticed they don't stay very long-sort of like a "wham-bam thank you man" kind of deal.

There was also a very obnoxious dude called "chocolate" who hangs out in front of the hotel(and is always coming in and out of the lobby) whose "job" or purpose is to get people for the hotels' clientel. He is probably one of the most tiresome and irritating characters I've ever met in the DR. He initiates all types of tactics to get turistas to fork over their money, and it is beyond me why the owner of the hotel lets this guy pester the guests the way he does.

It seems as if these tourists go to the DR specifically for the purpose of getting action. They really were'nt into sightseeing or anything like that-just hanging out and going to whatever clubs happen to cater to them at the time.They also seemed to me to be alot friendlier than straight tourists-I met more tourists from all over the world who were very approachable and were alot more amenable to converations than their hetero counterparts.

I met some characters while I stayed there(they were even rating the girls that came to see me-I never got less than an 8 out of ten!!!;)) and got to know a little more about their lifestyle. When I went across the street to the bank to exchange money the clerk asked me what hotel I was staying in. When I told her I got a collective groan from most of the staff, and the woman helping me sort of turned her head in apparent disgust.

Her tune changed when she saw me with my lady friend who was wandering around and came over to see what the fuss was about. It was annoying to say the least, but that's when I realized why I got the reaction I recieved.

So from what I gathered this particular scene is low-key and mostly the encounters are hit-and-run. I also noticed that the young dominicans who look for these tourists do not consider themselves gay. They are just in it for the money and judging from the clothes and jewelery some of these young men were wearing they are paid pretty well.

Last edited:

Yari

Aug 18, 2005
Berzin said:
...So from what I gathered this particular scene is low-key and mostly the encounters are hit-and-run. I also noticed that the young dominicans who look for these tourists do not consider themselves gay. They are just in it for the money and judging from the clothes and jewelery some of these young men were wearing they are paid pretty well.

Wow you had an interesting time in DR huh! But that whole prostitution ring is just so sad. Here in the US you hear about a lot of guys who also claim to not be gay but they still sleep with men. It's the DL (down low) phenomenon. It's all sad really when boys/children are involved:ermm: !

toodles

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
It's in the game!

Berzin said:
I stayed for a few days in Santo Domingo and got a peripheral view of the scene. I stayed in The Hotel Duque De Wellington. In my Lonely Planet guide to the DR, this place was written up as being gay-friendly. Now this did'nt matter to me-I just wanted a hotel that was close to the Malecon and the Colonial Zone, and the price was right, but it was more of a male tourist meat market than anything else.

I noticed this as soon as I walked through the lobby. Nothing but guys hanging around. An hour after I checked in my girlfriend arrived and everyone sitting in the lobby sat silent and just stared, just like they did when I initially walked in. It made me feel a little uncomfortable but I just shrugged it off and went about my business.

There is a small area in front of the hotel for parking, and guests take chairs out and sit there watching people go by during the day. This is when I realized what was going on. Young dominican guys(some seemed underaged) pass by and sit in front of the hotel trying to pick up turistas. They come and go at all hours of the day and night. From what I noticed they don't stay very long-sort of like a "wham-bam thank you man" kind of deal.

There was also a very obnoxious dude called "chocolate" who hangs out in front of the hotel(and is always coming in and out of the lobby) whose "job" or purpose is to get people for the hotels' clientel. He is probably one of the most tiresome and irritating characters I've ever met in the DR. He initiates all types of tactics to get turistas to fork over their money, and it is beyond me why the owner of the hotel lets this guy pester the guests the way he does.

It seems as if these tourists go to the DR specifically for the purpose of getting action. They really were'nt into sightseeing or anything like that-just hanging out and going to whatever clubs happen to cater to them at the time.They also seemed to me to be alot friendlier than straight tourists-I met more tourists from all over the world who were very approachable and were alot more amenable to converations than their hetero counterparts.

I met some characters while I stayed there(they were even rating the girls that came to see me-I never got less than an 8 out of ten!!!;)) and got to know a little more about their lifestyle. When I went across the street to the bank to exchange money the clerk asked me what hotel I was staying in. When I told her I got a collective groan from most of the staff, and the woman helping me sort of turned her head in apparent disgust.

Her tune changed when she saw me with my lady friend who was wandering around and came over to see what the fuss was about. It was annoying to say the least, but that's when I realized why I got the reaction I recieved.

So from what I gathered this particular scene is low-key and mostly the encounters are hit-and-run. I also noticed that the young dominicans who look for these tourists do not consider themselves gay. They are just in it for the money and judging from the clothes and jewelery some of these young men were wearing they are paid pretty well.

Good post! But you should have "known" that about your hotel when you went to the bank that your hotel was for "that". Of course it is descreet, this is a macho culture! You are also correct that the young Dominicans are basically in it for the money. Why else would they be doing such an act? For the money y'all. It's in the game because it is a game! Pay to play!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Yari said:
Wow you had an interesting time in DR huh! But that whole prostitution ring is just so sad. Here in the US you hear about a lot of guys who also claim to not be gay but they still sleep with men. It's the DL (down low) phenomenon. It's all sad really when boys/children are involved:ermm: !

toodles

It did'nt stop there, either. Read the rest in the "Trip Reports" section of DR1.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Anna Coniglio said:
Let's try to steer off the direction it's bound to go.

Thanks guys
Dang it, you beat me to the post Anna:laugh:
I was just about to divert the post a little:classic:

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
Ok, as the original poster of this thread I wanted to say a few things...

Thanks to those who genuinely replied to me.

As for this sex hotel crap, that is exactly what I am NOT looking for. If I wanted that I would have stayed in Bali (couldnt get out fast enough). Personally I am just interested in forming friendships /relationships with those of a similar sexuality, not in for all this prostitution ring crap. Although prostitution is common in both straight and gay circles, this stuff gives average gays like me a bad name. I really don't care for tourists who go on sex tourism either, be they gay or not.

Another thing - PLEASE don't lump paedophiles and homosexuals together. They are not the same thing. Paedophiles (be they gay or straight) don't like adults. I am gay and could never think of a child in a sexual way. They aren't the same.

As for the Down Low thing (thanks Oprah for that term) -its common in societies were there is homophobia. gay guys try to cover their sexuality by marrying, but suprise suprise - the genetically - determined sexuality of these guys doesnt change. Drives them to seek out casual sex. Seen it alot in Hong Kong . Sad, but until society becomes more accepting, I dont see it changing.

Wildnfree

PS I know this has digressed of my original post but I wanted to make it clear what i was and wasnt looking for.

May 31, 2005
I have this neighbor in the DR that is gay. Ever since he was a little boy he has been playing with dolls and he's very feminine. His family took him to see a therapist when he was in his early teenage years. They wanted him to change. Hasn't changed yet. He used to come over to my house and other houses in the neighborhood to hide when it was time to go see the therapist. hahahahaha.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
a known gay traveler

To the OP....

yes there are indeed gay men in the DR....and NOT just hustlers/sankies that you will find at wellingtion, boca chica or sosua or other "resort" areas.

Unfortunately....you WONT meet openly gay men on a quick visit to the DR who arent sankie/

I have met quite a few gay (non sankie non beach hustler) in my years of traveling to the DR. But, for the most part, it took years of knowing someone before they revealed themselves to me.

As it has been said again and again..it is a macho culture...and gay men are only accepted if they are flambouyant drag queens. The idea of a real gay man is completely foreign and not accepted. Oh it is tolerated if a tourist is spending money on some handsome young man.....but i know many NON sankie gay men who are lawyers, politur, motos, teachers, and other professional folks....who have discretely come out to me over the years.

In my experience...i have learned that most educated gay men in the DR do not mess around in their own country...but will romp while traveling.

I have also discovered that there are many men who enjoy the company of another man who are not sankie or hustler. Most choose to meet tourists, not for money, but because they know their secret will be safe and not get out.

Also...as in many latin countries.....one is not accepted as being gay unless one is a flamboyant queen...and therefore another daughter. Very sad.

I doubt you will find much more information here tho.

hate to cut this short...but its time for me to crash

hpbob

Feb 2, 2003
Have you ever noticed that people tend to find what they are looking for. I have stayed at the Wellington and did not find the level of prostitution there any greater or less than anywhere else in the Zona Colonial or the Malecon. I do agree with you on one item, though, that there are some really obnoxious hustlers in Santo Domingo who make their living off the turistas.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
hpbob. I agree. Stayed there a couple of times and hardly noticed any " excessive " behavior. And I was born and raised in the west village, n.y.c.

AmandaLou

May 27, 2005
As a tourist and female I can only tell you what I have found, I have befriended a gentleman in PP who is gay and through him I have met many of his gay friends. yes a couple are sankies, it gives them extra money. some are not, they earn enough. I think you need to make friends with all types and you may find that some are gay once you know them. If you just want friendship.

Cheers Amandalou :bunny:

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
I haven't been here long enough to ascertain whether or not this is a homophobic society or not. I haven't met a large number of gay men here but the ones I know are extremely open about it and are treated the same as everyone else.

Sep 19, 2005
just go up to any guy in a bar or disco and say to him tu es mariconaso mariconaso, mariconaso!!!......see if you still think they are homophobic afterwards......bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
just go up to any guy in a bar or disco and say to him tu es mariconaso mariconaso, mariconaso!!!......see if you still think they are homophobic afterwards......bob

I have no idea what this word means but assume it's not good so tell me quick before it's gone.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
a marico'n is a fagot.... and mariconaso is a great big fagot.....bob

That's a little childish don't you think Bob? You don't call people you don't know names like that, homophobic or not.