Jargon - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've taken on a nightmare translation full of technical jargon. A long shot, perhaps, but if anyone there is familiar with geological and construction terms in Spanish and English, please could you help me with the following:

Pretensado
Meteorizacion
Granulometria
Geotextil
Alargamiento
Fluencia

More to come. The darn thing is 35 pages long, and no, it's nothing to do with the artificial island.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
I've taken on a nightmare translation full of technical jargon. A long shot, perhaps, but if anyone there is familiar with geological and construction terms in Spanish and English, please could you help me with the following:

Pretensado
Meteorizacion
Granulometria
Geotextil
Alargamiento
Fluencia

More to come. The darn thing is 35 pages long, and no, it's nothing to do with the artificial island.

Chiri, PM the entire list, technical translations is my picoteo.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Thanks Mirador, I sent you a PM.

Check your PM...

Pretensado (prestressed, as in prestressed concrete)
Meteorizacion (weathering)
Granulometria (grain or particle size distribution)
Geotextil (geotextile, as in geotextile fabric)
Fluencia (I need context here, could it be 'pour' as in pour point (punto de fluencia) ?

- I worked out that 'alargamiento' was distortion in this context. Try 'elongation'.

Any idea about 'permitividad' (permitivity), 'tolerancia' (tolerance, spacing) and 'albaran' (receipt, invoice)?

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
per·mit·tiv·i·ty [ pùrmi tívvətee ] (plural per·mit·tiv·i·ties)

noun

Definitions:

electrical storage ability: the measure of the ability of a nonconducting material to retain electric energy when placed in an electric field.
Symbol ε

[Late 19th century. < permit, after conductivity]

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Now, how would you translate 'pliego' in this context? It is a document outlining the technical specifications, but what would be the jargon equivalent in English?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Now, how would you translate 'pliego' in this context? It is a document outlining the technical specifications, but what would be the jargon equivalent in English?

In this context, pliego means the 'set of...' or the 'general terms and conditions of...' In your case 'technical specifications' will suffice.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Next word that is giving me problems: replanteo. It's a meeting or assessment, when the work site is formally demarcated and measured prior to starting work.

Is there an equivalent trade term in English?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some more - I understand what most of them mean, but can't pinpoint an equivalent technical term in English:

Enfilaciones
Alabear
Coquera
Tongada (is this like a gabion?)
Picar (in this context what is the English technical term?)
Alberizo (chalky?)
Coronacion (laying the top layer of the cement?)

Help!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Chirimoya said:
Next word that is giving me problems: replanteo. It's a meeting or assessment, when the work site is formally demarcated and measured prior to starting work.

Is there an equivalent trade term in English?

Chiri, give me a little more context, say the entire sentence. Maybe 'location order'.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Chirimoya said:
Some more - I understand what most of them mean, but can't pinpoint an equivalent technical term in English:

Enfilaciones
Alabear
Coquera
Tongada (is this like a gabion?)
Picar (in this context what is the English technical term?)
Alberizo (chalky?)
Coronacion (laying the top layer of the cement?)

Help!
Are you sure that's Spanish? I feel utterly ignorant. :ermm:

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Hope this helps...

alabear-to warp
alabeo-warp, warping
tongada-layer, stratum
coquera-coal scuttle

Status
Not open for further replies.