Motoconchos !?!

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Perhaps out of my own ignorance after reading so many threads on so many forums I still didn't realize motoconchos were just two-wheels motorbikes or mopeds until I saw a couple of photos ! I thought they were like the three-wheels motor vehicles they have in Havana !?! :confused:

Anyways, as I used to have a motorbike myself some years ago and had quite a few bad experiences with them I would want to avoid them like a plaque (I wouldn't trust myself behind one with all the safety extras on nice roads in UK let alone sitting behind some youngster on drink, drugs and a head full of testosterone on the so called "roads" in DR :rambo: ).

So how easy is it to find taxis (i.e. four-wheels ! ) in Sosua/Cabarete/Puerta Plata for local/short trips ? and what is the price differences with the motos (x2, x3....) ? (say RD$20-30 on moto should be RD$60 with taxi or more ? )

Thanks,

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Uzin said:
Perhaps out of my own ignorance after reading so many threads on so many forums I still didn't realize motoconchos were just two-wheels motorbikes or mopeds until I saw a couple of photos ! I thought they were like the three-wheels motor vehicles they have in Havana !?! :confused:

Anyways, as I used to have a motorbike myself some years ago and had quite a few bad experiences with them I would want to avoid them like a plaque (I wouldn't trust myself behind one with all the safety extras in the nice roads of UK let alone sitting behind some youngster on drink, drugs and a head full of testosterone on the so called "roads" in DR :rambo: ).

So how easy is it to find taxis (e.i. four-wheels ! ) in Sosua/Cabarete/Puerta Plata for local/short trips ? and what is the price differences with the motos (x2, x3....) ? (say RD$20-30 on moto should be RD$60 with taxi or more ? )

Thanks,
Good rule of thumb in Puertop Plata is multiply motoconcho X 5 for taxi rate. A RD$ 20 motochoncho would be RD$ 100, RD$30 would be RD$ 150. But a taxi hold 5 passengers more comfortably than a motoconcho.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Any time you see a dominican that is missing a limb or two, and you ask them 99.8% of the time it is from a moto accident! The other .2% is from a machete fight.

So according to my statistical analysis, having a machete fight is safer than riding a moto concho ;-)

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Used Motoconchos only twice for a very short ride (20 pesos per person within Sosua town) ! Once in terrible rain but I had no alternative. In Sosua you can almost walk to anywhere in 10-15 minutes max, there is no need for them at all (main streets are safe at night - although never stop to offer cigarettes or time etc. to anyone - lots of tourist police around in city center). I wonder why Dominicans are so lazy they use them constantly to go 100 meters (with all the scars on their body I would have thought they try to stay away. I guess in the summer it would be too hot to walk - I was there over Xmas).

I used Goua Goua all the time very useful for between town transport (20 pesos to Cabarete or Puerto Plata). Also there are taxi publico at 30 pesos but they load up too many people, but in Goua Goua if it is full you can wait for the next one and once you get a good seat it'll be OK for the rest of the journey.

Taxis are farely expensive but for 3 or more people it is worth it (200-250 pesos for Sosua to Cabarete).

Used Caribe Tour bus from Santiago to Sosua (90 pesos) quite comfy but watch your suitcase at every stop.

Took a taxi from Sosua to Santiago airport for USD$55. He went through the mountains and took 2 hours (normally 1.5 though the other road I think). Although he was very careful and drove slowly and the scenery was nice I think with a mad driver it could be a bit dangerous (but generally very quite and not much traffic).