Nice restaurants in Santiago

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Hey everyone :)

Here is a list of restaurants in Santiago that I recommend.

#1.
Camp David

Carretera Luperon Km 7 1/2
Gurabo, Santiago
809-276-6400

This restaurant is located on top of a mountain. You can see the whole city of Santiago. It is very romantic. This place has a variety of excellent wine and desserts. It's a bit pricey but it is worth visiting.

#2.
Maroma
Calle 15 # 1-3
Los Jardines Metropolitanos
Santiago
809-724-4643

The chef is Colombian. This place has a variety of pasta, seasfood, and Columbian dishes.

#3.
Il Pasticcio
Cucina Italiana
Cerrado Los Lunes
Av. Del Llano Esq. Calle 3 Cerros De Gurabo
809-582-6061

This is an Italian restaurant. There are no menus in English so if you do not speak or read Spanish, then you will need a translator.

#4.
La Parrillita
Ave. Juan Pablo Duarte No. 162
809-583-1925

This is an outdoor restaurant. There is a nice large mall right across the street from this place.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
My absolute favourite Santiago restaurant (ate there last Saturday, of course):

Pez Dorado
Calle Del Sol #43
Ciudad Santiago

Sr. Jorge Ho
Tel: 582-4051
Fax: 971-6840

Gregg

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Obviously the OP don't know Santiago all that well.
Maroma: Overpriced novo cuisine...
Pasticcio: Only so-so....

The other two are fine, although you pay for the views at Camp David, it is worth every penny.

Now, here are some restaurants:
El Café on Calle 5 of the Jardines Metropolitanos. On the street in back of the shopping center ther on 27 de Febrero (in back of Banco León. Maybe best kitchen in Santiago.

Carlos Tasso: "Real" northern Italian food. A bit pricy, but wines and pastas are #1A all the way. If you don't know where it is, you don't need to. Sorry, it is sort of a secret place for us Santiagueros.

Baguetino: Ave Metropolitana between 7 & 9 streets. Best sandwich shop in town.

Nano's on Benito Juarez in Villa Olga..very good meat--slightly upscale from La Parrillita

Mezzaluna, also in Villa Olga. Top of the line all the way.

There are more, but I am sleepy.

HB :D:D:D

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
Hillbilly said:
Obviously the OP don't know Santiago all that well.
Maroma: Overpriced novo cuisine...
Pasticcio: Only so-so....

The other two are fine, although you pay for the views at Camp David, it is worth every penny.

Now, here are some restaurants:
El Caf? on Calle 5 of the Jardines Metropolitanos. On the street in back of the shopping center ther on 27 de Febrero (in back of Banco Le?n. Maybe best kitchen in Santiago.

Carlos Tasso: "Real" northern Italian food. A bit pricy, but wines and pastas are #1A all the way. If you don't know where it is, you don't need to. Sorry, it is sort of a secret place for us Santiagueros.

Baguetino: Ave Metropolitana between 7 & 9 streets. Best sandwich shop in town.

Nano's on Benito Juarez in Villa Olga..very good meat--slightly upscale from La Parrillita

Mezzaluna, also in Villa Olga. Top of the line all the way.

There are more, but I am sleepy.

Maroma is not overpriced. There are a variety of meals you can choose from. Some dishes are expensive and some are not (just like any other restaurant).

If it is too expensive for you, then you can try either Domino's or KFC. ;)

As for Pasticcio, I like the food a lot. M friends liked it as well which is why I posted it. But if you did not like it, then I am sorry to hear that.

Thank you for posting another list of restaurants. I will try them out next time. :classic:

Sep 19, 2005
does maroma serve ...................potato salad????????????????????????????

:classic: :classic: ...........bob

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
laurapasinifan said:
does maroma serve ...................potato salad????????????????????????????

:classic: :classic: ...........bob

Hi there :)

Good question!!! lol :classic:

Good night.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NOTE: Due to the death of the owner, "El Caf?" is no longer.

The Rancho Steak House up by the Monumento is a very good place to eat.

Chivo Guisado in Santiago is a toughy. Better go about 1/2 hour west to Bar Sandra just outside of Laguna Salada for some good chivo....

The best "kipe" and "empanadas" are to be found on Av. Metropolitana across from the Sugiery Pharmacy and on 27th of February, Next to Don Luis--a place that used to serve food. There is a car wash on the other corner. (Jes?s de Gal?ndez Street) Aida's Delicias...only after 4:00 p.m.

GOOD and CHEAP!!:p El Tirig?illo...cold beer and good sandwiches, on Constanza Street between Juan Pablo Duarte and 27 de Febrero, next to Tapizarte. AND across the street at night there is a pizza place Tu Pizza That makes very good pizzas for 200 pesos for 8 large slices.

I am going to revisit an old favorite Chinese place on the highway and see if they have kept up their standards...Later.

HB :D:D

Last edited:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
good point for the pizza and the chinese.. I?ll have to try that pizza.

I use to be a fan of "Expresso Sabroso" in Las Carreras, near Calle Cuba corner... about 2 years ago, it was great chinese food... Then it went downhill, and finally it?s closed... I am looking for another good chinese restaurant (!!!)

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
chola1978 said:
What about the best Chivo Guisado in Santiago?

In Santiago I have to say "El Cayuco" Av Juan Pablo Duarte Going north after the median ends besides a Texaco Gas Station. They serve also Chivo Horneado which is better than guisado IMO.

In the DR "El Cacique" in the way to Muncion (I have no clue how to get there)

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I always liked La Capmagna for sanwiches. They make a great Cubano. But the Campagna sandiwch is by far the bast.
Are they still around? For all I know, they closed.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cacique, Monci?n: They make good sancocho. Never had their chivo.
You go to Mao. Go to the fort, go west, take the left fork, take the left turn to Moncion. Cacique is about 20 minutes up the mountain.

La Campagna, still around and growing.

Wag

Feb 4, 2005
As far as I know "La Campagna" has 2 locations one in Juan Pablo Duarte (split between the restaurant and the bakery) and a smaller location in Los Jardines (just the bakery).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
AH HA!OO HOO: YOu see there is a third place, but just for certain insiders. Over by Bartolom? Col?n on J Armando Berm?dez....They do most of the baking there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The best resturant in Santiago was the one Hillbilly mentioned. Trattoria Da Carlo, Calle Ramon de Lara No. 18. If you can?t get in, which I doubt you will you can go here:

Paparazzo Calle Mauricio Alvarez #6 587-6578. It off of Duarte. Very good, AC, similar to a NY restaurant. And they just lowered the prices.

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
My favorite is La Garnacha, a Mexican restaurant near 27 de Febrero and Sadhala, Calle 7 B9 in Los Jardines, 809-582-9739. I like their Enchaladas Tomatadas. The hamburgers and sandwiches at La Compagna are excellent--ditto the chivo at Bar Sandra.

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
Hillbilly said:
AH HA!OO HOO: YOu see there is a third place, but just for certain insiders. Over by Bartolom? Col?n on J Armando Berm?dez....They do most of the baking there.

If you were a real insider you could even told us that there is a 4th one opening soon in Cabarete! ;)
Will take about 2 to 3 more months, west side of the centre. On the sea side of the road. (Ocean dreams)