OK to import and dump toxic and hazardous wastes in the DR

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
The Court has just ruled that it's OK to import and dump toxic and hazardous wastes in the DR, just so it's renamed "rock ash" and you have a few questionable affidavits from even more questionable labs that suggest the waste is not dangerous.

Today's EL NACIONAL

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
toxic or not toxic.....why in the world would you import someone else's refuse?....yet another example of the petty, pathetic greed of those in power....it is really embarrassing...

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
One thing I didn't mention---

In the article I wrote for "Dominican Today" and maybe should have. Didn't because it was "hearsay", though from an otherwise reliable source.
here 'tis.
Some RD$30million changed hands in the overall transaction/procedure involving the importation of the "Rock Ash', which WAS contaminated with 'Fly Ash".
Recipients were those indicted, plus a couple from Manzanillo (including the "Sindico").
No positive and difinitive proof was offered, so I wa forced to disregard the implication. CYA, you know? Had definite proof been available (other than the "appearance" of sudden wealth), you can bet your bottom dollar(peso) that fact would have been reported and names named.
On appeal, maybe the prosecutor will be able to prove these allegations and furter supplement his evidence. let us hope so, This has been a gross miscaarriage of justice. makes me wonder as to the veracity of the "Judge"(?) in this case. Change of venue is absolutesy necessary and further, a judicial investigation into the "Judge's" reasons for throwing the case out should be done, in depth. methinks he was "gotten to".

Texas Bill
"The Eyes of Texas Are Upon YOU!"

borgen

May 28, 2003
Who says it is toxic?

The limited research that I did on Google indicated that the materials rock ash and fly ash are not toxic materials, but valuable additives to concrete mixtures.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
borgen said:
The limited research that I did on Google indicated that the materials rock ash and fly ash are not toxic materials, but valuable additives to concrete mixtures.

Borgen, you live in Dajabón and have business interests in the region, so you must be aware that most of your "rock ash" was dumped at the mouth of the Masacre river just across the border, without the knowledge of Haitian authorites. Another significant proportion was dumped on the beautiful beach of Arroyo Barril, Samaná, where people living in the vecinity are getting sick after having been exposed to the stuff. You can name it anyway you want it, but it doesn't take away that the stuff is toxic, and further it is a waste product, not a "valuable additive to concrete mixture". as you cynically state. There are international conventions governing the transportation and disposal of waste products, and the DR is signatory to these agreements. All those who participated in this trade are criminals and should be treated as such.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
borgen said:

The toxic contaminants contained in the "Fly Ash" that was added to the "Rock Ash" deposited in the Manzanillo and Samana areas reportedly contained such contaminants as "Arsenic", "Cadium" and "Mercury" by an independent Laboratory. So how is it that your research didn't reveal this?

I'm NOT doubting your word, but necessarily must suspect your source(s) were not completely honest in their evaluations.

It just might be that the Puerto Rican Authorities saw the exportation as a way to get rid of some of their own contaminated substances and added that to the shipments. I really don't know. If that is the case, then they are just as guilty as those whom imported the substances.

The fact remains that the substances were present in the samples submitted for analysis.

I rest my case.

Hopefully, the Dominican Court system will eventually cite, prosecute, fine and incarcerate the wrongdoers in this instance.

Texas Bill

Last edited:

gardito

Jan 15, 2004
OK, time to put this kitty to bed...

I?m tired of the tone that some use in this thread. I won?t refute you directly, I?ll let the people whose job it is to educate people on the subject of ash do that. Please check out these websites and their links before you go yelling ?the sky?s falling?.

www.acaa-usa.org
www.flyash.com
www.wrashg.com

Like these, there are more out there. Just do some RESEARCH. Learn just a little about what you?re trying to talk about.

BTW, cadmium, arsenic and mercury are all found NATURALLY in soil, that?s DIRT for you and me. The same dirt kids all over the world play in. Yes, I know, dosage is the key, so find out the ppm/lbs that is IN the rockash, I?m sure it?s negligible.

The REAL contaminant is airborne dust particles, fine blown sand is an example of this. These affect your lungs just as it would living in the desert or near the beach. Try researching silicosis if you don?t mind.

In honor to the truth, the rockash you have is not from Pulverized Coal fired boilers (PC), it?s from Circulating Fluidized Bed boilers (CFB). It?s not as well suited for use in HPC, high performance concrete, as PC ash, but there are many beneficial uses for it, including use in ground repair work.

I believe the real crime Trans-Dominicana commited was not to have taken the measures in dust control and storing it so close to a body of water. People, it?s not poison.

Just my INFORMED two cents, E.

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
sorry....my Pats are getting killed

hey dumb****,

death is also natural, but no one desires it
gardito said:
BTW, cadmium, arsenic and mercury are all found NATURALLY in soil, that’s DIRT for you and me.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Your point is correct Gardito....

...its how the ash was brought into the country and deposited...not the contaminants in the rock ash "per se". There are uses for this material. In fact, as a big surprise to many on this board, there is rock ash/ fly ash brought into this country on a regular basis and its being used in products that Gardito was mentioning. However, burying trees and allowing this crap to "fly through the air", etc. was not the way to use the material. This was a greedy operational move. None of the companies that bring ash into the country at this moment in time wanted to touch what these folks were doing because they knew it was a definite wrong approach.

I know 1st hand about this...we were asked to help these folks get rid of the materials with some of the companies that use these types of materials.....we declined. I also know because we have actually made a proposal to PLD leadership to get rid of these materials in both Samana and Manzanillo...on a simple "quid pro quo" basis (no cash exchanging hands for those who feel a need to inquire further)...but have not been "taken up" on the offer. I suppose its possible they have a better offer on the table......

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Seems Gonads are in Place

Dominican Rep. Seeks $80M for U.S. Dumping

WASHINGTON - The Dominican Republic is looking to Washington for help recovering at least $80 million in damages from a U.S. utility it accuses of dumping thousands of tons of coal ash on the country's beaches, sickening residents and harming the tourism industry.
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr" + "ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.3.js></scr" + "ipt>");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=ybrpEM6.I3oLb6vfRAjrXgvQgAgWREQZofYAAAFN&T=1cgc60qq3%2fX%3d1142530550%2fE%3d85074877%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d3211584898%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJXYXNoaW5ndG9uO2hlbHA7aXQ7Z292ZXJubWVudDtJdDtoZWFsdGg7cmVzcGlyYXRvcnk7YXN0aG1hO2NvcnJ1cHRpb247QW1lcmljYTtNaWRkbGUgRWFzdDtBZnJpY2E7cmVmdXJsX3d3d19kcnNvbF9pbmZvIiByZWZ1cmw9InJlZnVybF93d3dfZHJzb2xfaW5mbyIgdG9waWNzPSJyZWZ1cmxfd3d3X2Ryc29sX2luZm8i%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d6223BECE');yzq_a('a', '&U=139bhti3j%2fN%3d97BFt86.IsY-%2fC%3d390764.8155321.8972181.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d3226908');}</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=ybrpEM6.I3oLb6vfRAjrXgvQgAgWREQZofYAAAFN&T=1cldqndjh%2fX%3d1142530550%2fE%3d85074877%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d3708092165%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJXYXNoaW5ndG9uO2hlbHA7aXQ7Z292ZXJubWVudDtJdDtoZWFsdGg7cmVzcGlyYXRvcnk7YXN0aG1hO2NvcnJ1cHRpb247QW1lcmljYTtNaWRkbGUgRWFzdDtBZnJpY2E7cmVmdXJsX3d3d19kcnNvbF9pbmZvIiByZWZ1cmw9InJlZnVybF93d3dfZHJzb2xfaW5mbyIgdG9waWNzPSJyZWZ1cmxfd3d3X2Ryc29sX2luZm8i%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d6223BECE&U=139bhti3j%2fN%3d97BFt86.IsY-%2fC%3d390764.8155321.8972181.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d3226908</NOSCRIPT>
The Dominican government has hired a Washington lawyer to attempt to open settlement talks with the company, AES Corp., or failing that, to file a lawsuit in U.S. courts against AES [article]

ClaveDigital has an angle on it.

I believe this person to be the Bart Fisher extensively quoted in the article....

...among Bart Fisher's many cited, published works, this one jumps out;

“The Antidumping Law of the United States: An Economic and Legal Analysis,” 5 Law and Policy in International Business (November, 1973)

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
For a second there I thought this thread was about Dominican Yorks...;)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Trust me I respect where you are coming from. I've also had to deal with rock ash from a regulatory point of view. But I would respect the references more if they weren't so biased or had a wider range. :)

gardito said:
I?m tired of the tone that some use in this thread. I won?t refute you directly, I?ll let the people whose job it is to educate people on the subject of ash do that. Please check out these websites and their links before you go yelling ?the sky?s falling?.

www.acaa-usa.org
www.flyash.com
www.wrashg.com
Just my INFORMED two cents, E.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
aegap said:
Dominican Rep. Seeks $80M for U.S. Dumping

WASHINGTON - The Dominican Republic is looking to Washington for help recovering at least $80 million in damages from a U.S. utility it accuses of dumping thousands of tons of coal ash on the country's beaches, sickening residents and harming the tourism industry.
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr" + "ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.3.js></scr" + "ipt>");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=ybrpEM6.I3oLb6vfRAjrXgvQgAgWREQZofYAAAFN&T=1cgc60qq3%2fX%3d1142530550%2fE%3d85074877%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d3211584898%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJXYXNoaW5ndG9uO2hlbHA7aXQ7Z292ZXJubWVudDtJdDtoZWFsdGg7cmVzcGlyYXRvcnk7YXN0aG1hO2NvcnJ1cHRpb247QW1lcmljYTtNaWRkbGUgRWFzdDtBZnJpY2E7cmVmdXJsX3d3d19kcnNvbF9pbmZvIiByZWZ1cmw9InJlZnVybF93d3dfZHJzb2xfaW5mbyIgdG9waWNzPSJyZWZ1cmxfd3d3X2Ryc29sX2luZm8i%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d6223BECE');yzq_a('a', '&U=139bhti3j%2fN%3d97BFt86.IsY-%2fC%3d390764.8155321.8972181.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d3226908');}</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>http://us.bc.yahoo.com/b?P=ybrpEM6.I3oLb6vfRAjrXgvQgAgWREQZofYAAAFN&T=1cldqndjh%2fX%3d1142530550%2fE%3d85074877%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d2.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d3708092165%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJXYXNoaW5ndG9uO2hlbHA7aXQ7Z292ZXJubWVudDtJdDtoZWFsdGg7cmVzcGlyYXRvcnk7YXN0aG1hO2NvcnJ1cHRpb247QW1lcmljYTtNaWRkbGUgRWFzdDtBZnJpY2E7cmVmdXJsX3d3d19kcnNvbF9pbmZvIiByZWZ1cmw9InJlZnVybF93d3dfZHJzb2xfaW5mbyIgdG9waWNzPSJyZWZ1cmxfd3d3X2Ryc29sX2luZm8i%2fQ%3d-1%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d6223BECE&U=139bhti3j%2fN%3d97BFt86.IsY-%2fC%3d390764.8155321.8972181.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d3226908</NOSCRIPT>
The Dominican government has hired a Washington lawyer to attempt to open settlement talks with the company, AES Corp., or failing that, to file a lawsuit in U.S. courts against AES [article]

ClaveDigital has an angle on it.

I believe this person to be the Bart Fisher extensively quoted in the article....

...among Bart Fisher's many cited, published works, this one jumps out;

?The Antidumping Law of the United States: An Economic and Legal Analysis,? 5 Law and Policy in International Business (November, 1973)

Bart Fisher is a trade lawyer well known in Washington circles for decades, primarily for some of his international lobbying efforts, successful or not (and yes, there have been some of the latter).

BTW, aegap, the law in the "published work" you refer to is not about dumping materials, substances or wastes, but rather is about importing goods at below-market prices. "Antidumping" in international trade circles refers to measures to counter what the competition lawyers like to refer to as "predatory pricing." So it has no relation whatsoever to this case or this thread...

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
thank you, knew that....i.e. China in the U.S.............with a bit of a stretch, I guess it could be considered such?

My point is that he could be considered one of the best for this type of cases...and this Dominican government should be somewhat commended for apperently going all out....with AES pull, I didn't expect them too......or do you think this is just politicking?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
aegap said:
.. Dominican government should be somewhat commended for apperently going all out....QUOTE]

All out? more like all out to expand the opportunity to profit from this disaster. The day after announcing that the DR government will sue AES corp in a US court, the Ministry of Environment announced it will burn the stuff locally at a cost of US$1 million (or RD$50 million, according to other sources). What happened to our avid journalist? always ready to ask the compulsory questions, and inform the restless public? Will the Ministry of the Environment conduct the necessary environmental impact studies on San Pedro de Macor?s, and Palenque, San Cristobal, where the rock ash will be burned in a recently built Japanese cement plant? Why wasen't the rock ash burned in origin (PR) in the first place? There are many other questions...

-

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Isn't hiring one of the most experienced lawyers with this type of case, and suing AES in the U.S. just about going all out?..

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
aegap said:
Isn't hiring one of the most experienced lawyers with this type of case, and suing AES in the U.S. just about going all out?..

Not quite! "going all out" should be nothing less than taking out all DR Environmental Ministry officers, Customs Dept officers, owners of front companies involved, and other individuals who conspired to bring the trash into the DR...

-