What Currency to take to Dominican?

emmafyfe

Oct 21, 2005
What is the best currency to take to the dominican?

Am I better taking ? or $ travellers cheques?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Assuming you are referring to The "Dominican Republic"?
Your best bet is to bring USD and exchange upon arrival.
You will be bent over on the exchange rate from GBP to RD Pesos.
If you feel secure with Travelers Cheques, bring USD denominated.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Tamborista said:
Why is "PALPAL" better to use in an ATM than a bank card?

Chase Bank charges $3.50 per transaction and payPal only $1.

On paypal the street was 29.00 to 29.50, I got 29.33 on paypal and 28.25 on Chase. I think this was September.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Are you drawing funds from a "Credit Balance" off your PALPAL account, otherwise it's considered a cash advance.

Last edited:

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Tamborista said:
Are you drawing funds from a "Credit Balance" off your PALPAL account, otherwise it's considered a cash advance.

I do not pay any ATM fees, I have 2 Scotia Bank accounts, one $RD and one $USD. I can fund it through a FREE transfer from my US based funds.

I keep a balance and move money from my regular account into it, free of charge.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
As I always says in these discussions, just use the Atm's. If in Sosua, use the one at Banco Progreso, next to Super Super, there you can take out 20.000 in one transaction.

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
ATM is usually the best way concerning rates. Even though the rate RDP / USD may be better than RDP / GBP, you will also lose on the exchange when you convert the GBP to USD. It usually comes out to about the same. unless you are moving large amounts of money, it only makes a few bucks difference anyway. Having a few USD in small denominations doesn't hurt.