AI braclets

melinda

Nov 2, 2005
Going to Dr in March . Been reading the forums . See it mentioned a lot with negative conotations attached. Please explain.

Thanks Melinda

duck

Mar 20, 2005
www.manley.de
The bracelets immediately give you away as being someone on a package tour. This is usually associated with not knowing the lay of the land (otherwise would have a more individual program), and therefore a good "target" for certain things.

Put it on loose enough to slide over your hand in case you want to go outside the camp.

joecanada

Jan 15, 2004
The a-i bracelets are there to identify you as a guest in your resort or to distinguish you from the non-ai guests in your resort if your resort offers non-ai packages. Many resorts do not allow unregistered guests at any time, so a bracelet is a simple way to know who's who without having to stop everyone at the gate.

It's true that on this forum many people are anti a-i, some with more legitimate complaints than others (although we offer a-i, I myself am not a huge fan of the concept). There is a belief that, off the resort, ai bracelets let the dominicans know that you're not a local and therefore know nothing about what things are supposed to cost.

My own opinion is that Dominicans know who's a Dominican and who's not, and the lack of bracelet is not going to convince them you come from Moca. Likewise, in a community as small as ours, everyone knows who's a local and who isn't. Your fluency and accent when you speak Spanish is another dead giveaway as to your status. Slipping your bracelet off is not suddenly going to confer upon you resident status and pricing. Learning some phrases in the local language will do much more in that regard.

Basically, people are going to pay according to how well they understand the pricing, not whether or not they wear a bracelet.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I agree with joecanada, a tourist looks like a tourist, a local looks like a local, bracelet or no bracelet. Much too much importance has been given to not wearing a bracelet, especially if you are blonde haired, blue eyed with pale skin.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Gringos will never been taken for being "locals" But it's prety obvious that the vendors are more agressive towards the "bracelet people" than others.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I agree with Joe - you are spotted as a tourist regardless of the bracelet. However I have been told that the bracelet gives the vendors and indication of how much to charge you for items. Nicer hotel = higher prices.

One idea, is to either remove the bracelet off the resort or at the least turn it inside out so the white side shows. Makes it a little more challenging for the vendors maybe....LOL

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
planner said:
I agree with Joe - you are spotted as a tourist regardless of the bracelet. However I have been told that the bracelet gives the vendors and indication of how much to charge you for items. Nicer hotel = higher prices.

One idea, is to either remove the bracelet off the resort or at the least turn it inside out so the white side shows. Makes it a little more challenging for the vendors maybe....LOL

I think this is not how it really is, as the vendors on the beaches are working in different areas and have split the beaches in "working areas"...
In the city, very few vendors knows the difference between the AI hotels...
;)

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Just do some research and educate yourself and it doesn't matter if you have an AI bracelet or not.
There was a thread called 'Price of things in DR' or something like that.

Remember that it is a buyer's market HUGETIME.

Many tourists go to the opposite extreme and offer ridiculously low prices but it is a two-way street and most of them are not interested in spending any money anyways.

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Ofcourse the bracelet makes a difference. I see it all the time, how the wendors very agressivly proposing those who flasshing those bracelets, while others like myself is left alone. Ofcourse I'm recognized as somebody who lives there. But that the bracelet is a magnet to the wendors, thats for sure.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Yes the bracelet can be a magnet, coupled with pasty white skin, or sunburned peeling skin..........marks you as an easy target.....LOL

Carina in the city some vendors may not know, but the ones on the beach ALL know which hotel is which and charge accordingly. It is exactly the same in Sosua.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Known fact!

It's a known fact that if you are "seen" with a bracelet, street vendors, beggars, restaurants and just about anywhere you go to buy something, they WILL try to overcharge you, ALWAYS. It does not matter if you look white or black. But the whiter you are, the more they will associate you with having money. They are the biggest targets.

MANY DO think that if you stay at a resort, any resort, that you have money.

Carina, you are more than right, in the city, MANY do not know which resort is cheap or not. MANY don't even know what's for. Crap, I was asked by a person at the Cohiba store in Zona Colonial if my bracelet was because I had diabetes or a medical condition!.

Btw, trying to take those little suckers off it's a job by itself. Every single time I have tried, I break the darn thing.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
planner said:
Yes the bracelet can be a magnet, coupled with pasty white skin, or sunburned peeling skin..........marks you as an easy target.....LOL

Carina in the city some vendors may not know, but the ones on the beach ALL know which hotel is which and charge accordingly. It is exactly the same in Sosua.

The vendors don?t go ALL the beach in PD for instance. They have an area to sell on within a range of 2-3 "hotel beaches".

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
miguel said:
It's a known fact that if you are "seen" with a bracelet, street vendors, beggars, restaurants and just about anywhere you go to buy something, they WILL try to overcharge you, ALWAYS. It does not matter if you look white or black. But the whiter you are, the more they will associate you with having money. They are the biggest targets.

MANY DO think that if you stay at a resort, any resort, that you have money.

Carina, you are more than right, in the city, MANY do not know which resort is cheap or not. MANY don't even know what's for. Crap, I was asked by a person at the Cohiba store in Zona Colonial if my bracelet was because I had diabetes or a medical condition!.

Btw, trying to take those little suckers off it's a job by itself. Every single time I have tried, I break the darn thing.

It?s harder for the ones that didn?t know before now, as the new bracelets in different colors that are "in" right now here, is very easily mistaken for an AI bracelet.

Of course there are always people who knows what hotel is which, both in the city and on the beach, but in general that is "higher education" and doesn?t matter much. A tourist is overcharged with any bracelet, and without one as well.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
carina said:
I think this is not how it really is, as the vendors on the beaches are working in different areas and have split the beaches in "working areas"...
In the city, very few vendors knows the difference between the AI hotels...
;)

Sorry but they do! I was walking through Sto. Domingo and had forgotten to take that damned thing off when I was approached by a dude in a suit that said 'Hey! Rubia! I know you from WhateverResortinJuanDolia I was at - I am security there!". Sure. Maybe, but so what? I was then asked for money for his mother's operation.

Sorry-taking it off works best ESPECIALLY for single chicks who lilke to be outside during the day - they know where u are staying and that is NOT cool. One time down there this loser was CONSTANTLY wiating outside the gates for my friend. irritating? You bet.

As well, it's fine to say they can spot you as a tourie with or without the bracelet, but once you have been there a few times, get to know how things work and what things cost - they can't pull that shyte on you.

I will NEVER wear one of those outside a resort again, especially in DR. I have far fewer hassles. using a safety pin to put it back on works for me.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
YOu are absolutely right on the single chicks comments!!! When I travelled here and stayed AI the bracelet came off as soon as I left the resort to go dancing or wherever I was going. I didn't want anyone knowing where I was staying. It can lead to all sorts of problems.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Everybody seems to be going to all these convoluted, high tech methods of hiding the bracelet. When we were leaving the resort for the day, we simply stopped by the front desk on the way out, asked them to snip the bracelet, put it in our pocket. When we returned, we presented the old bracelet and they placed a new one on our wrists. It usually took a total of 2 minutes. Occasionaly we were asked for ID.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
planner said:

Sandals worn with black socks also.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
All you need to do is when you check in is to have them put the wrist braclet on a little loose so you can remove it yourself. Always works for me and hassle free.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
These are some fine ideas on how to hide or remove the bracelets but how about this, just ignore them.

Put on your best poker face and continue on with your life as if they do not exist.:classic:

sunman6

Jun 9, 2002
I got on a bus from the Coral Costa Caribe in Juan Dolio a few years ago and headed by bus to San Pedro with my friend... 2 middle-aged ladies who don't speak a word of Spanish. We wanted to go into the markets and mingle with the locals for a break from the beach and the husbands. We were totally at the mercy of the passengers who told us when to get off and which stores to visit. When we finished visiting a few stores we were totally baffled as to where to get the bus back and what the name of the bus would be. Locals came at us from 3 directions pointing to our bracelets and showing us where the "gua gua" would stop, one even walked us to the exact spot. He seemed to say to show the bus driver the bracelet when we get on the bus. Wearing the bracelet saved our butts that day. Since then I have purchased a cd course to learn Spanish! We'll return to DR for the 10th time later this month and we're staying for 5 months. We won't have the AI bracelets so will have to speak enough of it to get groceries, deal with the utilities, bus companies, etc. Should be fun. I think I'll miss that AI bracelet after I've cooked a few meals in our "mini-kitchen"!!