Are Student Visas as hard as Tourist Visas for domincans to obtain?

JC171

Oct 20, 2002
I know that for a Dominican its very difficult to obtain a Tourist visa for the USA...but are student visas as hard?if they enroll in acredited english school,have the funds in their bank accounts?
has anyone gone through the process?

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I would like to sponsor a 13 yr old from Puerto Plata to attend school in Canada for 1 year. The process is on the Canadian Embassy website so I know the procedure. Does anyone know how difficult it is for a minor to get a student visa to Canada?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not to mention the complications for you to move a minor out of the DR??? It will cost you about $5,000 for that alone...pesos, that is. And a bunch of headaches.

Save your time and headaches and get him - her through highschool and then get them a studen visa for college.

HB :ermm:

MrNiceGuy

Sep 12, 2004
Student Visa vs Visitor Visa...Canada

Always check with the CIC in Canada for the most up to date info http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.html

The last time I checked about student visa's sponsored or otherwise, a visitor's visa was required as well. Meaning it's the same old message...must have money, property...etc to get a visitor's visa of course unless the government is sponsoring then the rules don't apply...

Good luck...

Jun 5, 2004
Getting a student visa out of the Dominican Republic is much more easier than an actual tourist visa. Either way its a headache thats why unfortunately many Dominicans choose to go illegally to Puerto Rico.

koko*

Sep 16, 2005
Why would they go to Puerto Rico? Is there a way to get to Canada from there?

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
koko* said:
Why would they go to Puerto Rico? Is there a way to get to Canada from there?

apdomini100max just makes stuff up that makes little sense. ignore it. It is no easier to get to Canada from PR than from the DR if you don't have a visa.

Baby Girl

Sep 23, 2005
As I am new to all these posts and topics, this may have been covered, im not too sure .....
So if it is easier to get to Canada from PR instead of the DR, does anybody know how to go about doing this

And also, if this is accomplished how much legal trouble would there be in arriving in Canada, and upon returning to PR ( or the DR)???

*Baby Girl

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ricktoronto said:
apdomini100max just makes stuff up that makes little sense. ignore it. It is no easier to get to Canada from PR than from the DR if you don't have a visa.
Actually it probably is. Once in PR you can probably fly to mainland US without much difficulty. Then pick a spot along the very long border and hope for the best.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
It is not that easy and unless you are willing to do the yola route to PR one can't get there anyway without the US visa.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
ricktoronto said:
It is not that easy and unless you are willing to do the yola route to PR one can't get there anyway without the US visa.
He did say illegally to PR. We only hear about the overloaded, rickety boats that meet with disaster or arrest on the way to PR. How many decent looking fishing boats make the trip sucessfully?

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Probably not many as the risk of confiscation of a decent enough boat would likely outweigh the fares they'd get.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife and i have just started the process to try and bring two of her cousin's daughters for English summer school to Belleville, Ontario. Once we are further into the process I'll update the board on how/what problems, sucessful or unsucessful. These girls are 15 -grade 10 and 17- grade 12. Money is not an issue, so we'll see what roadblocks there are.

Last edited:

Baby Girl

Sep 23, 2005
ricktoronto said:

So pretty much thats pointless because you have to get a visa anyways.... Its a waste of time Im guessing then. I am also guessing that its best to go about abotaining a visa the proer (legal) way then....?

Im just trying to plan things out for my future and would like as much info as possible

*Baby Girl