Embassy Suites vs Costa Carib

WBALKE

Jul 3, 2004
Hi Guys,

I will be in the DR for a week beggining on December 4. Ii got a great deal on flight from JFK to SDQ (Delta Airlines - $303). Usually when I visit I stay at the Howard Johnsons in San Pedro, because its closer to my Novia. While the Howard Johnson's has been good, I am looking for something a little more upscale. I am looking at either the Embassy Suites or Casta Caribe in Juan Dolio. Has anyone stayed at both and can provide me with some information. I have also stayed at the Hamaca in Boca Chica and I would assume that the Costa Caribe is very similar. I am also curious about the proximity of the hotels to the restaraunts and bars in the area. Are they in walking distance (similar to Boca Chica). Thanks in advance for any help.

W

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
If you want to be in walking distance to the restaurants and bars

in Juan Dolio.......stay at Costa Caribe!
Embassy Suites are inside Metro Golf and Country Club and are really wuite a hike from the 'action' that is along the strip in Juan Dolio.
CC will compare with Hamaca (maybe not quite as 'ritzy' but just as accomodating) while Embassy would appeal more to those who wish an 'executive' secluded experience with a side of golf thrown in.
We've had friends who have stayed at both and those who wished to get out of the resort and wander along the beach road much preferred to be at Costa Caribe.
Hope this answers your question......

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Costa Caribe

WBALKE said:
Hi Guys,

I will be in the DR for a week beggining on December 4. Ii got a great deal on flight from JFK to SDQ (Delta Airlines - $303). Usually when I visit I stay at the Howard Johnsons in San Pedro, because its closer to my Novia. While the Howard Johnson's has been good, I am looking for something a little more upscale. I am looking at either the Embassy Suites or Casta Caribe in Juan Dolio. Has anyone stayed at both and can provide me with some information. I have also stayed at the Hamaca in Boca Chica and I would assume that the Costa Caribe is very similar. I am also curious about the proximity of the hotels to the restaraunts and bars in the area. Are they in walking distance (similar to Boca Chica). Thanks in advance for any help.

W
Although La Hamaca and Costa Caribe are both owned by Coral Hotels CC is older and in my opinion the "bloom is off the rose". I have stayed at both for many years and would take
Hamaca over cc. As far as the Embassy I think if you had a preference toward golf you might want to consider this your first choice.

JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Airfare from NYC??

WBALKE said:
Hi Guys,

W
I am travelling the week before you to SD from NYC. I am paying $358 RT , direct flights with excellent schedule. Curious about your $303 fare. All taxes? Direct flight??

JOHN

WBALKE

Jul 3, 2004
Hi John,

Yes it is a direct flight from JFK via Delta Airlines. It leaves JFK at 8am on Sunday December 4th and I leave from Santo Domingo at 4:59pm on Friday December 9th. I booked it last Tuesday and it includes all taxes. But I see that it has already begn to increase. Currently it is 380 via Delta, but I see a similar flight via AA for 310. I typically fly AA, but I couldnt beat the price. And I try to fly direct, because of a bad experience that I had in Miami.
What airline are you flying?

W

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm flying

WBALKE said:
Hi John,

Yes it is a direct flight from JFK via Delta Airlines. It leaves JFK at 8am on Sunday December 4th and I leave from Santo Domingo at 4:59pm on Friday December 9th. I booked it last Tuesday and it includes all taxes. But I see that it has already begn to increase. Currently it is 380 via Delta, but I see a similar flight via AA for 310. I typically fly AA, but I couldnt beat the price. And I try to fly direct, because of a bad experience that I had in Miami.
What airline are you flying?

W
on AA. 1PM flight on Sunday arriving 5:30 SD Leaving around 6:30PM on Friday for the return trip.
Great price you got. JOHN

sunman6

Jun 9, 2002
I'll say your price is right! We're flying American from Boston to SDQ on 11/26 - returning in April for $640 r.t. Flights are direct but that's double what you paid!!! WAH!!

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yes but..

sunman6 said:
I'll say your price is right! We're flying American from Boston to SDQ on 11/26 - returning in April for $640 r.t. Flights are direct but that's double what you paid!!! WAH!!

You're amortizing the trip better over 5 months instead of one week. Your cost per week is much better. LOL

JOhn