Expression Questions And Some Word Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatalieMarie

Nov 11, 2005
Hi! I'm curious what the following expressons mean. I will try to guess:
"Que Vaina" -- is this something like "What's going on?"
"Que Tripeo" -- is this Spanglish for "How trippy" or "How weird" or no?

I'm also curious about these other expressions & words. Again with some I will try to guess:
If your parents go to a little room in the back of your local bodega "pa juga lo numero" of DR -- sounds literally like "for playing the number" (like for lottery) but I know that's not the actual figurative expression meaning.

If while in your country, you hear people on the block yellin "se fue la luz!" -- sounds literally like "there goes the light!" but I know that's not the actual expression meaning.

If you Drop Liquor on the floor and say "eso e pa lo muerto!" -- sounds literally like "that's for the dead!" but again I know that's not the actual expression meaning.

If you drink Presidente, Brugal, or Mama Juana like WATER -- are these hard liquors?

If you've ever gotten whipped by a diablo cojuelo or lechon -- what are these? Things that a kid gets hit by when (s)he's bad? Is one of them a belt?

If you eat Mangu on a daily basis -- is that a way of saying the fruit mango or no?

If you in a 4-passenger car, u got 7 people in it, and someone yellin "caben ma"

If you've ever been in a carro publico ;)

you've ever let some one throw AGUA FLORIDA on you for good luck

If since you were little BALAGUER has been dying

If you parents ever gave you ACEITE DE BACALAO when you were sick

If you've ever gone to QUISQUEYA PAR

Please share any other expressions commonly used by Dominicans. Thanks!

NatalieMarie

Nov 11, 2005
I Don't Mind If They're Answered One At A Time

Hi --
I don't need for them to all be answered at once! If they're answered a couple at a time or even one at a time, that would be great. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.