Tips on learning???

Status
Not open for further replies.

drminy

Nov 12, 2005
Hello,
I just recently joined and after reading the threads I notice that many of you speak Spanish very well. I am curious to know how you learned and how long it took. I started learning in H.S. and have taken classes since to get the basic grammer, conjugations and essentials down. I make it a point to read spanish books and magazines and to watch spanish language tv. I also listen to spanish music and get the lyrics so I can learn more words. My boyfriend is Dominican and though he was born in N.Y. all of his family is from the D.R. and only speak spanish. When we visit them in N.Y. or D.R. i can't believe how much I learn just being around them. However, when we are at home he usually only speaks english. He does try to help and encourage me to continue speaking in spanish to build my vocabulary. For me it's much easier to learn around people conversing and interacting rather than just one person trying to teach me. I get frustrated at times because I am so eager to learn and have been for awhile and feel like i still have so far to go. Not to mention I am latina and not knowing my ancestral language drives me insane.:classic: Any tips or should i just keep doing what i'm doing???

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Total Immersion,
if you live in the US then you will have to start watching a lot spanish channels, Univision, Telemundo, etc.. You should start reading the daily papers, Hoy & El Diario, etc.. You should start communicating with your boyfriend in spanish only. You should eat, drink, and party in spanish. You would want to live like a Latino, not only would you pick up the language quickly, you will pick up the culture which is important. Also get yourself a dictionary and start memorizing nouns and verbs.

Buen suerte!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
If you are looking to improve your written Spanish I recommend reading good books in the language. There is a thread started on this right now. Arm yourself with a dictionary (although for the most pat it is better to plow through and learn through context as much as possible).

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
As i've said before if you no nothing i would start watching the TV right away. Its extremely fast and more than likely you will feel down about learning because you won't understand what you are watching. Learn a little first and then start the tv stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.