? about a sprint cell phone

yankeefan

Sep 30, 2005
Wondering if I were to bring a cell phone that I no longer use, and give it to someone in the Dominican, would they be able to activate it there? It is a sprint pcs phone!!!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
yankeefan said:
Wondering if I were to bring a cell phone that I no longer use, and give it to someone in the Dominican, would they be able to activate it there? It is a sprint pcs phone!!!!

Yes. I take my Sprint phone down with me every time I go and get it activated down there, then activate it back with Sprint when I get back. Most likely you will need a code that some places can get for you for about 300 pesos.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
only US sprint and verizon phones will be able to connect with Verizon DR.

most places would not charge to activate/change PRL,, only thing is that they will sell you a $250 pesos calling card.. that's about it.

most places are free,, you just have to buy the calling card in there.

where?
just any cellular store.

at&t, cingular, nextel/boost, t-mobile phones will not work with verizon DR.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
THE GAME said:
at&t, cingular, nextel/boost, t-mobile phones will not work with verizon DR.

I think those can be activated through Orange (except for Nextel). Actually my business phone which is activated tiwh ATT/Cingular here in The US works fine through Orange, without me having to activate it down there. My company handles our plans, so I couldn't tell you if you have to have a special plan for it to work.

Last edited:

Alba77

Nov 15, 2004
suarezn said:
Yes. I take my Sprint phone down with me every time I go and get it activated down there, then activate it back with Sprint when I get back. Most likely you will need a code that some places can get for you for about 300 pesos.

By activating my Sprint phone in Santo Domingo, I assume I wouldn't have to pay Sprint's International Roaming charge of $1.50 a minute to call the US? How much are calls to the US if I activate my phone like that? Oh, and what would be a good place to have it done? Is there any place close to Ave. Independencia? I have a Sprint phone and I'm looking for a way to keep in contact with friends and family while I'm in the DR (without spending big bucks). thanks in advance.

May 12, 2005
On my last trip, I took down an old t-mobil phone. I have a friend that works at a cellphone store and she activated it on orange for me. Now all i have to do is buy an orange card. no need for monthly plans or bills. It certainly is convienant to have a local 809 number when i visit.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
fko1 said:
On my last trip, I took down an old t-mobil phone. I have a friend that works at a cellphone store and she activated it on orange for me. Now all i have to do is buy an orange card. no need for monthly plans or bills. It certainly is convienant to have a local 809 number when i visit.

the phones that work with orange and in the US are the ones that
have GSM technology,,, with the sim card inside.

orange operates on 1800/1900 frequency... most gsm phones are
800/1800/1900 bands. Some are only 800/1900... but as long as they're
1900 they can be activated with orange. Just take it to orange and they
will give you the sim card.. when you go back to the states you can put
back the cingular or t-mobile sim card and bang you're back in US business.

Alba77

Nov 15, 2004
THE GAME said:
the phones that work with orange and in the US are the ones that
have GSM technology,,, with the sim card inside.

orange operates on 1800/1900 frequency... most gsm phones are
800/1800/1900 bands. Some are only 800/1900... but as long as they're
1900 they can be activated with orange. Just take it to orange and they
will give you the sim card.. when you go back to the states you can put
back the cingular or t-mobile sim card and bang you're back in US business.

Do you know where I can go in Santo Domingo to have this done? I went to the orange.com.do site and couldn't get the dropdown list of dealers to work. It looks like orange would be the most economical way to go...even though I'd have to buy a nokia phone...mine doesn't have a sim chip.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
You can go to some comercial center, all companies has dealers there that can help you, in big stores in Santo Domingo like Plaza Lama and Multicentro you will find Orange, Centennail, and Verizon Kioskos.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
"only US sprint and verizon phones will be able to connect with Verizon DR."

Does this mean that Canadian versions will not work? Any from Canada that do?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you speak Spanish

Alba77 said:
Do you know where I can go in Santo Domingo to have this done? I went to the orange.com.do site and couldn't get the dropdown list of dealers to work. It looks like orange would be the most economical way to go...even though I'd have to buy a nokia phone...mine doesn't have a sim chip.

I have a cell phone store there and my guy will activate your phone with no problem. The store is located 2 blocks from Plaza Lama
Call 809 785 6846 Tell them what you need (John sent you). Any questions PM me. If you need a cheap phone they have them there$25.00

JOHN