70 lbs, then 50lbs then 70 lbs then 50lbs???

Sep 19, 2005
whats with these airline constantly changing their baggage weight allowances. You book a flight only to find later that you can take as much stuff .. they have changed the weights of baggage allowance....I bet they are competing with each other...but is there any other reason?.......I know that the dominicans can pack the hell out of a bag!!!!........I have seen so many unding their bags at check in to lighten the load!.....I just found out today that AA dropped the weight aloowance back to 50 lbs per bag!. at least they allow heavier bags..jet blue wouldnt!. You would have to dospose of stuff in the airport! ha ha ha......bob

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
What do you expect?

What do you expect when Dominicans bring everything back home except the kitchen sink.

I used to work for an airline. Not one Dominican did not have overweight luggage. You must understand that airlines need the cargo space for parcels mail ect. These are very lucrative for the airlines.

Dominicans shelpping everything home is not.

Sep 19, 2005
I know it used to be worse...3 years ago when I flew the line at JFK included huge 3x4 boxes all wrapped in duct tape. The biggest suitcaes you ever saw. Every family had two or three of those carts for wheeling your luggage around. and they were stacked up above their heads, so you could see them in line!!!!!!!!!! this year it isnt half as bad...so i figure they cracked down at some point.....bob

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
laurapasinifan said:
they have changed the weights of baggage allowance....I bet they are competing with each other...but is there any other reason?

Of course, revenue. You can still take two bags weighing 70 pounds each by paying US$25 for the difference between 50 and 70.

But persons flying soon may be ok with 70 pounds if they bought their ticket prior to November 1. According to AA, anyone buying ticket before October 1 can take 70 pounds; tickets purchased to Puerto Plata, Santiago and Santo Domingo during October are good for 70 pounds. Starting Nov 1, 50 pounds plus US$25 for anything between 50 and 70 https://www.aa.com/content/travelInformation/baggage/baggageAllowance.jhtml

Sep 19, 2005
ken actually she told me that since I bought my ticket oct 11th AFTER oct 1st that i cant take more than 50 lbs with out an extra fee...BUT I f I had bought my ticket BEFORE oct 1st I could take 70 lbs!.........I dont know the ramifications of tickets bought after nov 1 are!....bob

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
I would assume that part of it has to do with weight and fuel. The heavier a plane weighs, the more fuel it burns. And, with the recent rise in fuel, the airlines have to recoup those losses somehow.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Bob, that is generally true of people who bought international flight tickets after October 1. However, assuming you are dealing with AA, there are some exceptions to this rule. Among them are Santiago, Puerto Plata, and Santo Domingo. Passengers to these destinations with tickets purchased during month of october can take 70 pounds. Go to the link I posted below and check it out for yourself.

Call her back; you have the AA's own website on your side;)

Sep 19, 2005
dammmmm thanks Ken...that lady at AA should have seen my destination...she told me the terminal and the date and flight number were verified.....I am less stressed now....even though i seldom wear even half of what I end up taking.....I want the CHOICE when i dress each day..... funny thing last time I only went for 5 days. I dropped off a bunch of shirts to be pressed, and they didnt finnish until the day before i left!!!!!!!!!!!!! wat a waste.. then I put them back into the luggage to get wrinkled again!......bob

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
True

jackquontee said:
I would assume that part of it has to do with weight and fuel. The heavier a plane weighs, the more fuel it burns. And, with the recent rise in fuel, the airlines have to recoup those losses somehow.
yes folks, this is why they brought the weight limitations down to 50lbs. to save on fuel which has skyrocketed lately if you havent noticed....believe me! i work at an airport in NY and see planes paying over $5 a gallon for JetA, now you do the math for a boeing that takes on over 5000 gallons of fuel at any given time...ridiculous. Besides if you HAVE to bring more luggage its not like the plane CANT take on the extra weight, the airlines will just charge you a TON of money for it! sheesh! :lick:

snowqueen

Dec 15, 2004
Air Canada

Just flew Air Canada. They allow 50lbs per bag, max 2 bags per passenger, so you are actually allowed 100lbs. They were going to charge me $25 because I had one bag at 57lbs. However, since I bought my ticket in August, they let it go. They set the 50lb bag limit since baggage handlers were suffering too many injuries trying to lift heavy bags.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Commercial Cargo = more revenue

American Airlines and US Air are scheduled passenger airlines and like other scheduled passenger airlines they are also cargo airlines. The (commercial) cargo provides more revenue for the airline then the passenger revenue. The cargo space aboard an aircraft is limited and within these limits the airline has to contend with the proper allocation of space within the lift capacity (max. amt.of safe wgt. for the aircraft to operate) for passenger checked baggage and the commercial cargo combined. The allocation of space for commercial cargo will always supercede that of checked passenger baggage and it is sometimes the reason your baggage does not arrive at destination the same time as you.

Ticket sales and the weight (50-70 lbs) and size limits of passenger baggage allowance per aircraft passenger provides the data to the airlines of knowing in advance the approximate gross weight and volume of checked baggage. This allows the airlines to know the x-amount of remaining cargo space (positions) available for commercial cargo.

During the holiday season the demand for commercial cargo space (positions) far outweighs the space available ( limited by amount of scheduled flights and aircraft size ) and is the reason why the airlines will cut back on the checked baggage allowance per passenger in order to open up valuable space for commercial shipments; it means more money for them. Companies ?contract? at premium prices with the airlines, for the airline to ?guarantee space? (positions) aboard aircraft for their cargo to arrive ?Just In Time?; as slow ocean shipments are out of the question.

When the airlines restrict the baggage allowance during the holiday seasons it is to increase revenue with the commercial cargo and to make sure the urgently needed goods arrive in time to be enjoyed.

Regards,
PJT

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
Delta baggage restrictions

I just checked online and Delta calls certain cities 'free allowance' destinations. They allow two 70 pound bags to Santiago & SD.

I assume the website is up-to-date. Will follow up by phone anyway.

Also, website states following:

3rd bag allowed for $50 extra.

Overweight bags to non-free allowance destinations, $25 extra per bag for weights between 50 and 70 pounds.

bags over 70 pounds... $100

dawnwil

Jun 5, 2004
really makes no sense you have to pay 100 dollars for an overweight luggage but you can take an extra 70 pounds for 50. These people are not thinking.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
I suppose not, when one does the math.

But I've noticed the airlines, employees at least, are more concerned about lifting those heavyweights.

I would surmise that disability payments are becoming a bigger issue on the corporate bottom line, ie. aging work force, more back problems.

And those same workers are likely to demand a little more caring from their employers.

The overweight charge is a great way to control the problem.

I'm entirely with them, one of my biggest pet peeves are people who don't care for their backs. Just not worth it to bring on problems. You don't have your health, you have nada.

dawnwil

nadira

Nov 25, 2005
Don't bother flying Transat if you're bringing tons of luggage. I was charged $7/lbs that I was over on my suitcase (max is, I think, 35lbs) and the supervisor even demanded that my check-in be weighed. The worst is when I saw them charging someone else for being 1lbs over!! Ugh, what a bunch of penny-pinchers...

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Im flying over in March and was hoping for a large luggage allowance by flying from UK to Newark then on to POP. Even though they have reduced the allowance its still a lot better than flying direct on a charter flight. I mean how can i pack my life into 20kg - that just about covers my shoes. I think Continental allowance is 2 bags weighing no more than 50lb each plus a generous hand luggage allowance, but i still intend to keep searching for an airline with the best luggage allowance and a fair price for a one way ticket.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
laurapasinifan said:
whats with these airline constantly changing their baggage weight allowances. You book a flight only to find later that you can take as much stuff .. they have changed the weights of baggage allowance....I bet they are competing with each other...but is there any other reason?.......I know that the dominicans can pack the hell out of a bag!!!!........I have seen so many unding their bags at check in to lighten the load!.....I just found out today that AA dropped the weight aloowance back to 50 lbs per bag!. at least they allow heavier bags..jet blue wouldnt!. You would have to dospose of stuff in the airport! ha ha ha......bob
Maybe they are trying a yo-yo diet?! :classic:

-NAL

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Just got back from traveling from Dallas to Santo Domingo. AA allowed two 50-lb bags, plus one on board 40 lb suitcase, plus a handbag. On one of our suitcases we were over by 4 pounds, on another we were under. The check in person did not bother, so they are flexible. We were taking an early flight, though, so maybe at that time the agents are in better spirits.

We traveled many miles and what we would do was use the scales provided in the hotels to level out our suitcases. We goofed off on that last one. A lot of what we were carrying was books, so it was simple to just shift the weight, but the agent did not require this.

We had traveled to China and inside China they only allow 20 kg total. The domestic airlines we used to commute within China though were lenient with us, and we were traveling independently and used the argument that we were on a long haul trip outside of China. That argument almost didn't work on our return flight, but we were fortunate to get a supervisor who allowed us to fly with more than the 20 kg listed on our Beijing-Hong Kong ticket.

Actually, the 50 lb (2) + 40 lb allotment plus handbag is about as much as any person can move around when traveling. Anything else, you need someone to assist you.