Sending text messages with Verizon...

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
I am in Santiago and my US Verizon cell phone works fine for calls and I can recieve text messages but I cant seem to send any. I have tried sending them to 001-xxx-xxx-xxxx and 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx. I have also tried messing around with the settings. Does anyone know how to send text messages (to the US) with a US verizon phone?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Can you send text messages when in the US? I ask because I know people who can receive text messages but whose phone is not set up to send them.

If your phone is meant to send text messages, I assume that Verizon has a number you send the message to. My Orange phone has a number that apparently is dialed when I send a text message + phone number and it passes the message on from there. As long as I have the correct number entered in the phone for text messages, I can send them. But if any part of that number is missing or wrong, I can't--even though I enter the nmber I want the message to go to.

Also, if Verizon is like Orange, it costs more to send a text message to the US than to somebody in the DR. I pay RD$1 to send a message in the countryk, RD$5 to send it outside the country.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Yes, I can send and recieve text messages in the US. On the Verizon website it says its 10 cents to send and 10 cents to recieve text messages or according to your text messaging plan. Do you remember what number that is in order to send texts? I've tried everything but I cant seem to make it work.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I know the number for Orange; it is programmed in my cell. You will need to get the info for Verizon from a Verizon office or user.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Nope, tried that too. I updated my PRL in NYC before I came and again when I arrived in Santiago.