First Annual DR International Film Festival

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Did anyone attend the First Annual DR International Film Festival? I'm curious as to what kind of turnout there was.

In another thread, someone asked "Is Sosua Dying?" and the thread sort of went in the direction of saying
  • The Ministry of Tourism not doing enough to promote the DR and
  • The type of tourist that comes to the North Coast stays in the AI's and doesn't spend much money.

I would think that something like an international film festival, if promoted properly, would attract a different type of tourist.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I went to two events Monday night (1) the showing of the movie 'Lovewrecked' which was filmed at Sun Village, Ocean World, and other north coast locations and Saturday night (2) closing party.

It was not organized by the Ministry of Tourism but by Sun Village resort.

While the events I went to were well attended, I heard the rest of the events were not. It was more a local crowd people involved with making Lovewrecked with a couple of intl actors and producers like Lou Gossip Jr. and Randy Kleiser.

It probably wasn't advertised internationally enough and of course no help from the ministry of tourism (well they did call Sun Village to complain that the ministry had the rights to the film festival or the name DRIFF).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
They came to us looking for advertising at the very last minute and I mean the last minute. We are pretty much sold out, so could only offer them a few open Daily News email ads.

Ain't that typical of the Ministry.... sad!