How to ask in Spanish....

Status
Not open for further replies.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Hi,
I want to ask someone in Spanish if I can speak to someone else. How do I ask them? Do I just say hello then the persons name hoping they realise what I am asking or do I ask properly in Spanish? What would I say?
Thanks!

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
There are many ways...

Although you did not specify where you are calling ultimately you want to sound polite. There are many ways. If you are calling someone's home I suggest you greet the person first. 'Buenos d?as', 'Buenas tardes', 'Buenas noches' etc. Then ask for the person. Here is one universal way. It works in all scenarios.

Quisiera hablar con xxx (por favor) -

LDG.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
There are lots of things you can say, including: Buenos d?as, (your name) habla. Est? disponible xxx?

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Im calling a mobile phone. The person who I am calling speaks little English, so I thought I would try asking in Spanish just to be more polite.
The only thing is I speak some Spanish but not much, hopefully my pronunciation will be ok!!! Dont want to confuse her!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Try this

Hola!
Habla (your name).
Se encuentra (her name)? S? or No.
If S?, say, Pongamela, por favor.
If No, just say: Yamar? (Llamar?) m?s tarde.
Muchas Gracias.

If you have had sex with this person, she will take your call and ask for money for her mother. :p

HB :ermm:

shilacg

Nov 24, 2005
it's often to greet (Buenos días o buenas tardes/noches) in a formal /no too informal situation, but in a informal situation, say Hola will be ok. Thne, you can ask for the person you want to tolk with: Quisiera hablar con Luis, por favor/ ¿está Luis?/ ¿se encuentra Luis?/ (formal: ¿me podría comunicar con Luis?)
In perú, is often the person who response you ask about your name: ¿De parte de quién/ quién habla? And this is the moment to say yor name: De parte de Shirley (informal) / de parte de Lucía Gómez/ de la Srta. Gómez, etc.

Bye.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
haha

Hillbilly said:
If you have had sex with this person, she will take your call and ask for money for her mother. :p

HB :ermm:
I knew I wasn't the only one thinking the same thing.
He speaki no spanish
She speaki no english
No Home phone, just a pre-paid cellular.
Well you guys can do the math, hahaha

Oh yeah, just in case you were wondering.
http://www.westernunion.com/

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Thank you...

Thanks for your helped. It worked a charm!!

And no, there is no romance/sex involved here. I merely needed to talk to a friend of a friend. Im not brilliant at speaking Spanish but I wanted to make an effort for parts of the conversation!

For those of you who actually helped, thank you!!

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
I use Puedo comunicar con _________ or esta por alla _______ not gramatically correct I am sure but they all understand me....and i always say buenas dias/tardes/noches first

shilacg

Nov 24, 2005
the grammatically correcto sentence would be: ¿Puedo comunicarme con...? o ¿Me puede comunicar con...?

drminy

Nov 12, 2005
Couldn't you also say?: "Buenos dias, ¿Puedo hablar con _____ por favor?" or "¿Hola, ____ está allí?"

Last edited:
A

apostropheman

Texas Bill said:
You answer with "No entende la pregunta"

Texas Bill

then hang up and block her number...not that i have any experience with this:beard:

Sep 19, 2005
Ok I called a store a woman I know owns. She speaks english , but wasnt there. the other employees dont speak english( they dont need to , its santiago). I said. "Hola, Tu Hablar Inglish?".. they say NO, and then I ask... "Jo querro hablar, Sonia por favor."

How bad was that?
I dont know "May I ".. yet....so it sounds a little blunt, but I assume they would realize i dont speak spanish well....bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
laurapasinifan said:
is that "May I speak to"?

bob
Yep, you can use May I or Can I.
?Puedo hablar con la madre de mis cinco ni?os?:nervous:

oops, I forgot "por favor":laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.