DR & expensive Paperwork

nadira

Nov 25, 2005
Does anyone know a way for a foreigner to get married in DR without having to pay $75 US per document to have everything "legalized"? Is it just me or having a paper stamped shouldn't cost that much? :ermm:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depends.

Those fees are the way the DR consul makes his millions and retires early.

You need a certification of being single, your passport, maybe a birth certificate, and that is about all.

What else are they trying to do to you??

HB :ermm:

nadira

Nov 25, 2005
Basically that's what I would need, the only thing is that according to their website, besides acquiring the single certification, I also need to get each and every document "legalized" which is $75US per document, and everything needs to be translated into Spanish, which is another $40US per page. I'm hoping that they won't check if I get married in a small Dominican fishing town... ;)

Thanks for the info,
Nadira

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The prices you are quoting don't sound right and I am thinking that the quoted prices are Dominican pesos. It has been a number of years since I was married here but the total price for my marriage was about 50 US dollars. But then again what do I know.
Rick

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Do not pay more than US$190 per couple for all the paperwork/translations. If they are asking for more, email me at dolores@dr1.com and will send you the name of a consulate that does all the paperwork for that price, considering you are in the United States and that one of the couples has not been married before. For your marriage to be valid you need to do the paperwork correctly. You could also shop around at different consulates in the States to see what they are asking, using the US$190 per couple as a benchmark.