Wave Power Alternative Energy coming into its own

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Interesting. Thanks for the link, Christa.

The questions that occur to me are (1) would the DR be suitable for such a project; (2) if so, where (certainly not in front of any resort beach where swimming, jetskiing and snorkeling are promoted!); and (3) would it cost-effective, i.e., would it be reliable enough and not so expensive compared to current supply that some part of the DR coastline should seriously consider this option?

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Keith, I think I've read just about every piece published about this. From what I've read, such a wave 'farm' could be up to 5 miles from the coast. So, the 'visual pollution' can be dealt with, with distance.

Also, I've read that this system can survive at Cat 5 hurricane, by virtue of bobbing about in the ocean, and not anywhere where it can be smashed on the ground. This is a bit of a stretch for me to believe but then again, for a boat, it is safer to go out to sea during a storm, rather than stay on a dock.

I've read that the cost is comparable to conventional power station construction and set-up, and certainly not more expensive. In my opinion, this is a method that simply must be investigated for the DR.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Hmmm, sounds like another potential topic for the Green Team. :cheeky: All right, Team, any volunteers for this one? :devious: Or any DR1ers out there not yet on the Green Team interested in doing a guest blog entry on this subject?

Keith R
greenteam@dr1.om

bdaric

Aug 28, 2003
To respond to Chris about waves "safer" at sea, just consider Hawaii surf waves.

There, just off shore the wave is say 5 -10ft high and the surfers just bob about on it then as reaches shore and the ocean floor becomes shallow, it appears to grow to 30 -40 feet or more and down the wave slides the surfer.

I saw an illustration once that suggested considering the wave as a huge circle of energy, of which the top most part was visible. The wider the top, the bigger the circle and the more power released when reaching shore.

Still , after seeing the movie Perfect Storm and the 100ft freak waves mariners talk about and land lubbers poo poo, I'll stick to a bit of land a good bit higher than sea level during storms thanks........

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Whatever---

The wves generated by the natural confluence of the ocean flow between the DR nd the Eastern shelf of the Turks & Caicos Islands would be an ideal area in which to place the "Wave-generators". Just to the North of Cayo Arena, off the Bahia de manzanillo, the East wind and current flow coelesce to mount waves in the rhelm of 6-10 feet, closely packed in frequency. Such conditions are ideal for such a "wave farm" to be placed. As to cost, well, I've not explored that scenario in the least. Nor have i considered the distances required for electrical conduits to land areas. I would estimate the distance to be in the neighborhood of 15-30 nautical miles offshore. Is that too far?? I have no idea. Engineers could better judge that aspect than I.
Just for what it's worth.

Texas Bill