Driving to Sousa from Santo Domingo

sabwjz

Nov 27, 2005
My wife and I are flying into Santo Domingo and we are staying at the Casa Marina Beach in Sousa. We were thinking of renting a car and driving up to our hotel in Sousa and I've got a few questions:

1. How long would the drive take?
2. Is it better to get a rental car or seek another type of transportation?
3. If we were to take the bus how long would it take?
4. Our flight arrives at 3:45pm is it adviseable to drive to Sousa at this hour (daylight considering)?

We've rented cars in Mexico and St. Maarten and have been accustomed to the local driving quirks there, is driving in DR comparable?

Thanks for the help

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, driving in the DR not like St. Maarten; I don't know how it compares with Mexico.

Caribe Tours has buses going every hour from Santo Domingo to Sosua. Cost is RD$240/person each way. That's about US$8 apiece. Trip takes about 4.25 hours.

Since you are new to the DR and not familiar with the roads and driving practices, do yourselves a favor and take the bus. If you really want a car while in Sosua, there are a number of places you can rent them.

If you insist on driving, you should plan to stay overnight in Santo Domingo. by the time you clear customs, get a car, get directions from people speaking in Spanish, etc., it will be too late to leave. Even locals don't like to drive at night because of the condition of the roads, the animals and people on the road, thie drunk drivers, etc. If you take the bus, you can go the same day as the last Caribe Tours bus leaves at 7 pm.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Try the search feature. I used the advanced search and put in sosua+santo domingo+driving and a several posts were returned. The first one I read mentioned it was a 5 hour drive. Use the search and read all the posts that are returned. This should keep you busy untill someone replies directly to your post.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
The drive by car is about 3 1/2 hours. The bus takes about 4 1/2 hours and makes about 3 stops. The bus is realitively comfortable.

My advice is to take the bus, and if you want to explore the North Coast, rent a car when you get to Sosua. Driving in the DR can be quite an adventure. Do a search to read some of the stories.

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
We took the Caribe Tours bus from Santo Domingo to Santiago and if I'm not mistaken that bus continues on to PP and Sosua, but I might be wrong. They are comfortable, air conditioned buses with a bathroom and spanish music playing when you are near city radio stations. I have alot of experiance driving in NYC, Boston and up here in Maine with heavy snow. Nothing compares to what I saw on the roads in the DR. I agree that unless you have visited a few times and know the route very well, including all the possible places a motorbike could shoot out in front of you on the highway, exc...Caribe Tours is the way to go.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Taking a cab to the Caribe Tour bus terminal in Santo Domingo, then coming up by bus is definitely your best bet.
If you're in a rush and budget permits, take a taxi all the way.
Just trying to get through Santo Domingo & Santiago without getting lost, is enough reason to not rent the car.
PS: The busses leave Santo Domingo for Sosua at 6:00 7:00 8:00 9:00 10:00 11:00 AM & 12:00 1:00 2:00 3:00 4:00 5:00 6:00 7:00 PM.

sabwjz

Nov 27, 2005
Well I think you have me convinced to take the bus. Got a few questions though. I went to the caribe tours website but it is all in spanish and my translation isn't so good.

1. How much is a taxi from the airport (Santo Domingo) to the bus terminal?
2. How far is the bus terminal from the airport?
3. Where in Sousa does the bus drop you off and are there taxis nearby?
4. What would the taxi fare be from the drop off point to Casa Marina Beach?
5. Just wanted to verify the expected bus trip duration is 4.5 hours, how much would it cost?
6. Does the bus drop off at the airport in Santo Domingo on the route back from Sousa or do we need to take a taxi?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
1. US$25 - $35 (depending on your language skills)
2. About 1/2 hour drive
3. Charamicos, and yes.
4. US$5 - $15 (depending on your language skills)
5. RD$240 and 4.25 Hours (Per Ken!)
6. NO, need a taxi.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
sabwjz said:
1. How much is a taxi from the airport (Santo Domingo) to the bus terminal?
I am guessing $25 to $30 US.
sabwjz said:
2. How far is the bus terminal from the airport?
25 minute drive.
sabwjz said:
3. Where in Sousa does the bus drop you off and are there taxis nearby?
The bus stops right in Charamicos, 2 miles from Casa Marina
sabwjz said:
4. What would the taxi fare be from the drop off point to Casa Marina Beach?
I would guess 150 pesos (less than 5 bucks)
sabwjz said:
5. Just wanted to verify the expected bus trip duration is 4.5 hours, how much would it cost?
The time sounds right and the fare would be less that 10 bucks.
sabwjz said:
6. Does the bus drop off at the airport in Santo Domingo on the route back from Sousa or do we need to take a taxi?
You need to take a taxi both ways, as Santo Domingo is the end of the line.

PS: Sorry for the repeat. The post above says it all, but it slipped in before mine.

sabwjz

Nov 27, 2005
Thank you for the extremely quick response! Some things you just can find out in travel books! Just also wanted to make sure that the caribe tours bus doesn't take reservations?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
sabwjz said:
Thank you for the extremely quick response! Some things you just can find out in travel books! Just also wanted to make sure that the caribe tours bus doesn't take reservations?
No reservations are required, but it doesn't hurt to get there 20 minutes early, to assure yourself that you get a seat.

MotorCity Mike

Apr 9, 2004
If someone wanted to drive from the airport to the north coast (like me), What is the route? I'm arriving on a Saturday night in SDQ and would like to make it up to the north coast....or at least Santiago that evening. Any good tips of where to go when leaving the airport and any tips for a sandwich place to stop at on the way?

MCM

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Hi, I just called to Caribe tours and the cost from Santo Domingo to Sosua is 240.00 Dominican pesos.

The cost of the a taxi from the airport to Santo Domingo is arround 1,000.00 Dominican pesos.

SDQ to Caribe Tours it´s take arround 30 minutos or less if is not the ¨Hora Pico¨.

The Bus stop in Santiago.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MotorCity Mike said:
If someone wanted to drive from the airport to the north coast (like me), What is the route? I'm arriving on a Saturday night in SDQ and would like to make it up to the north coast....or at least Santiago that evening. Any good tips of where to go when leaving the airport and any tips for a sandwich place to stop at on the way?
Here's a link to directions that are so clear that even someone that is navigationally challenged as I am can follow:

Note: That thread also gives some alternate directions.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
You can make a reservation there too, you just have to arrive a half hr. before and comfirming with your full name in the tickets window.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
riravaga said:
You can make a reservation there too, you just have to arrive a half hr. before and comfirming with your full name in the tickets window.
Somehow I don't feel comfortable that they will actually hold your reservation.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
A great experience...

If you are not too tired from your flight you will find your bus trip from Santo Domingo to Susua a great experience and you will step down from that bus already a little Dominicanized.

... J-D.

Sep 19, 2005
MotorCity Mike said:

MCM

hello I always rent a car, and am now used to driving in the DR, even though I rode shotgun for a few trips before I rented on my own, I would say that I had a hard time with the road system in the city Santo Domingo... and I have driven from Santiago to Samana, from La vega to Monte Christi, many times to PP and sosua from Santiago....but this last week I went through Santo Domingo twice and both times got toally messed up.. they just dont offer signs that you can follow... they dont even think it nessecary to list the route number!.......and i have followed those busses all over... they FLY!.....go to sleep and let them drive the long trip and start out by renting local at first........good luck......bob