Dominican Republic withdrawal

nlove88

Aug 12, 2005
Ever since I got back from my first trip to the DR on the 25th, I've been in withdrawal...I miss it so much. I look at my pictures and just long to be back there. I want to make at least two trips in 2006, more if I could afford it (being just a high school kid).

This is the first country I've traveled in where I've felt this way when I got home.

:cry:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You're not the only one dear. Many of us felt that way after our first trip and some have made it their home and some us are still dreaming of moving. ;)

I still get a tear in my eye as the plane approaches the Island.

In the mean time we hang out on DR1 to keep in touch.

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
nlove88 said:
Ever since I got back from my first trip to the DR on the 25th, I've been in withdrawal...I miss it so much. I look at my pictures and just long to be back there. I want to make at least two trips in 2006, more if I could afford it (being just a high school kid).

This is the first country I've traveled in where I've felt this way when I got home.

I hear ya buddy!!! I also feel so sad and miss the DR every time I come back to the States. :(

What year in high school are you?

When you go to college, you can participate in an exchange student program (between the U.S. and the DR). Or I know some universities have courses where you travel to the DR.

Anyway cheer up buddy! ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Anna Coniglio said:
You're not the only one dear. Many of us felt that way after our first trip and some have made it their home and some us are still dreaming of moving. ;)

I still get a tear in my eye as the plane approaches the Island.

In the mean time we hang out on DR1 to keep in touch.
Wow, Anna gets a tear in her eye as the plane approaches the country.

I can only imagine what happens when you leave... :cry:

As far as I am concerned, there is no place like Hispaniola. Only Cuba is close, but nah, there is no place!

-NAL:rambo:

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
nlove88 said:
Ever since I got back from my first trip to the DR on the 25th, I've been in withdrawal...I miss it so much.
A while back the DR Tourist Ministry was trying to come up with a catchphrase. I think, "It only takes once to get you hooked", fits how you, and many of us on DR1 feel.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Hello guys you know that all of you are welcome here. I don?t know really what make us different than the people of other nations. What you think it?s?
I never have travel yet, and I know that all places has pasitive and negative points, but I would like to know your answers.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
nlove88 said:

Welcome to the DRW club(Dominican Republic Withdrawl), I'm with you on this one. It took my first trip and I've been back atleast once a year I was hooked!!! Funny thing, I had a dream last night I went to the DR it felt so real and I woke up to the rain in TO :( so sad to wake up to reality! It's a sign I need to go back lol :) I look back at pics all the time and long for my next visit.
Hang in there you'll be back!!!!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
riravaga said:
Hello guys you know that all of you are welcome here. I don?t know really what make us different than the people of other nations. What you think it?s?
I never have travel yet, and I know that all places has pasitive and negative points, but I would like to know your answers.
It's an excellent question and one that been discussed before. If you want to start a discussion, it might be better to start a new thread rather than change the direction of this one.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
The best catch phrase...

That I've read so far since I first started to travel to the DR is on a sign at the airport about Punta Cana, specifically about Cap Cana... and is says:

"Learn to beathe again"...

I think it's exactly how I feel once I get to DR...I can breath and relax in a beautiful island where everyone treats you nice...

Last edited:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
whats with the loud bright text MQ??

After struggling to read that horrible bright blue text I had to "learn to see again".

Larry

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
nlove88 said:

I know exactly how you feel. I love DR. I visited DR four times this year alone and I still am in withdrawal. Where did you go? I visited Sosua 3 times and Higuey once this year and I personally like Higuey better. If you haven't gone to the eastcoast, you should check it out on your next trip.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Larry said:
After struggling to read that horrible bright blue text I had to "learn to see again".

Larry
But thanks god, it was her first post where there was no mention of tony. Oh my god, the world is coming to an end.
AZB

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
To Larry And AZB...

Both of you can go SUCK AN EGG:eek: !!! (EN DOMINICANO, PARA QUE TENGA ALGO QUE VER CON DR!)

MQ...VERY MUCH IN LOVE WITH MY TONY!!!:lick:

Last edited:

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
I suffer from DR withdrawal every time I get off the phone with my friends or family down there :( . Thinking of buying myself a place down there in a few years. You are doing a very noble thing by sponsoring that child, so selfless. Maybe more of us, myself included should participate in causes like this and the (wildly, I might add!!) succesful Sosua Children's Auction. Please keep us up to date with your trips thru the board.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm getting the feeling the existence of the DR is making many people miserable in other countries after their first visit.:eek:

Wow, whether you love him or not, the truth is Columbus was right!

Read his logs, Hispaniola is written all over it ever since he first laid eyes on these shores.

500 years later, wars later, revolutions later, dictatorships later, the island still has its magic.

What is it?

It has to be the water, that has to be it, its the water. ;)

-NAL

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Nal0whs said:
I'm getting the feeling the existence of the DR is making many people miserable in other countries after their first visit.:eek:

Wow, whether you love him or not, the truth is Columbus was right!

Read his logs, Hispaniola is written all over it ever since he first laid eyes on these shores.

500 years later, wars later, revolutions later, dictatorships later, the island still has its magic.

What is it?

It has to be the water, that has to be it, its the water. ;)
It can't be in the water, since many of us tourists only drink bottled water. Clearly, it's in the air.:)

wendy_s

Oct 26, 2005
You're right Rellosk, it's definitely something in the air!

I'll be in the DR in 9 days - counting down the days, the hours...the minutes!
It's only been 2 months since I've been back there but it seems like an eternity. I've definitely been in withdrawal! :bunny:

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I feel the same way. Something about the Rivera's house in Plaza Isabel really does it for me. Peaceful and full of family, food, laughter, tears--a bit of everything! I also love the warm weather, and the general disposition of people there....Maine is a reserved, conservative place, although well-deserved of its "Vacationland" title. My dream has always been the summer season in Maine and the winter season in some warmer climate!