Dominicans in Baltimore City!

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
Hello my name is DCKenny I'm new to this forum. I'm always curious about the latino scene in Baltimore because I thought that Baltimore was a Black and White city. Until I was checking out Baltimore latino community, it's growing I'm not too such about the latino nationalities in Baltimore but I know they have a latino fest every year. I was asking does anyone in this forum knows about the Dominican poputation in Baltimore?

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Dc

Hey DC,

I know there is a Dominican population in the Balto area but it is small. The last numbers I saw was 2 years ago and it was roughly 2,000. Is that an accurate count? I have no idea. I'm sure others will be posting what they know.

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
I live in Baltimore. Not a lot of Dominicanos here, and the few that are here are spread around various areas of the city and the surrounding counties.

There's a couple of Dominican-owned colmados near Patterson Park and the fast growing "Spanish" neighborhood near Fells Point on the Boradway street corridor south of Johns Hopkins hospital. There is alrger concentration of Dominicanos near Washington, D.C., in Silver Spring and Wheaton (Montgomery County).

The Asociaci?n Dominicana de Maryland has a website with no data:
http://get-me.to/mddomclub

During the annual Latino Festival each summer the asociation puts up a quiosk serving typical Dominican food staples and often DOminican bands play live music.

There is also a group of older professional Dominicans that have been here since Trujillo's times, but who are fully integrated into mainstream culture and have very little to do with modern popular culture of Dominicans.

- Tordok
:glasses:

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
I heard about this spanish town how big is it in Baltimore? Also are there alot of Puerto Ricans in Baltimore City? I was thinking about going to the Latino Fest in Bmore this year but I did'nt have anyone to come with me was this festival big?

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
DCKenny said:
I heard about this spanish town how big is it in Baltimore? Also are there alot of Puerto Ricans in Baltimore City? I was thinking about going to the Latino Fest in Bmore this year but I did'nt have anyone to come with me was this festival big?

Spanish town is only 3-4 city blocks in each direction at most. There's one good Ecuadorian restaurant, some Mexican places, several Central American colmadones, travel agencies,, etc. In all honesty I have not attended the Festival in the last 8 or 9 years. It was very small then but I hear it is much larger now. You should try it since there's nothing to loose and the food is always good.

Baltimoreans in general are friendly people and our Latino presence is small but with good reputation for hard work and fun partying.

There's a club near the Inner Harbor that I hear gets a nice eclectic mix of young people, the Iguana Cantina. I'm no longer that young so I can't give you firsthand accounts but from what I know plenty of college age kids of all ethnicities go there and the ambient is predominantly Latino.

There is a also place called the Latin's Palace on Broadway street (Spanish Town) with a mostly Central American crowd, but also some Puerto Ricans and Dominicans as well as nonLatins who like our music. Next door there is a reasonable restaurant owned by a Spaniard. BTW, the best -$$$$- Spanish restaurant in town (in downtown, off Charles Street near the Peabody Conservatory is called T?o Pepe, and the owners/chef are from Spain but virtually every one else on staff is from el Cibao).

There's the Havana Club on Water street (couple of blocks from Inner Harbor) that caters to a more traditional (elegant dressers and older) crowd of dancers of salsa and merengue, this one is more touristy and expensive. The only Latino thing there is the music. For some reason a lot of good looking young Russian women go there. ;)

good luck,
-Tordok

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
To find out what's really moving in B-more at night I would call the Spanish radio stations. They have all the hookups and know what's shaking. I would check with La Mega 92.7FM and that other new station. I think it's Caliente 97.9FM. Please accept my apologies. I really should know this but my brain is going a million miles an hour on other things. My head is full of debris...literally.
From the Gulf Coast,
D

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
deelt said:
To find out what's really moving in B-more at night I would call the Spanish radio stations. They have all the hookups and know what's shaking. I would check with La Mega 92.7FM and that other new station. I think it's Caliente 97.9FM. Please accept my apologies. I really should know this but my brain is going a million miles an hour on other things. My head is full of debris...literally.
From the Gulf Coast,
D

Hi Deelt,
Those Latino stations are geared toward the DC area market and B-more is a bit off their radars, it is its own -much smaller- latino market. Maybe the AM stations have a better grasp. On FM, your Caliente station cannot be picked up in Baltimore unless it is actually El Zol 99.1 (that signal used to be for WHFS, an alternative rock station from Annapolis). BTW I can't stand the 99.1 reggaeton/bachata all day long format and their DJs get away with more on-the-air vulgarity than Howard Stern ever even tried on his idiotic shows.
saludos,
- Tordok

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Tordok said:
There's the Havana Club on Water street (couple of blocks from Inner Harbor) that caters to a more traditional (elegant dressers and older) crowd of dancers of salsa and merengue, this one is more touristy and expensive. The only Latino thing there is the music. For some reason a lot of good looking young Russian women go there. ;)

good luck,
-Tordok

I've gone to Havana Club a few times with a friend from Argentina. Yes, it's older meaning 25 and up. Everytime I've gone there have been Boricuas and Cubanos and lots of everything else..., including the nice Russian ladies. :glasses:

DCKenny

Nov 29, 2005
Word! I might go up there when I get an oppertunity to go to Baltimore! I here Baltimore is changing to a better city than it used to be.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
I was recalling El Zol 99.1. I have been out of state for a few months (still away) and just couldn't remember the station. I agree with you that they get away with more. But in comparison to NY it is still mild. I know the guy that goes on midday highlights some B-more clubs. I would just call the station to ask.
Happy Holiday's folks...

Tordok said:
Hi Deelt,
Those Latino stations are geared toward the DC area market and B-more is a bit off their radars, it is its own -much smaller- latino market. Maybe the AM stations have a better grasp. On FM, your Caliente station cannot be picked up in Baltimore unless it is actually El Zol 99.1 (that signal used to be for WHFS, an alternative rock station from Annapolis). BTW I can't stand the 99.1 reggaeton/bachata all day long format and their DJs get away with more on-the-air vulgarity than Howard Stern ever even tried on his idiotic shows.
saludos,
- Tordok

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
La Mega station 92.7 has changed for the good. They are called Mega Classica and play old school music from bolero to bachata. What a relief from the Reggaeton. The staff are mellow, decent and very informative.

Last edited:

ALB3

Sep 15, 2003
Stodgord said:
La Mega station 92.7 has changed for the good. They are called Mega Classica and play old school music from boleto to bachata. What a relief from the Reggaeton. The staff are mellow, decent and very informative.

Agreed. It's good the see a change for the better for once.